ECW on the WWE Network thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Mike

Re: ECW on the Network (Hardcore TV/TNN) thread

Post by Mike » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:07 pm

I thought that too for a while, but after I rewatched years after originally airing them, I gained a new appreciation for them. Awesome, Tajiri, Crazy, Guido, Tanaka, etc. Lots of good stuff.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Even in what amounted to less than a decade, ECW managed to have four clear eras. The pre-95 Eastern era with the vets like Snuka, Muraco, Hawk, etc during the formative years of Dreamer, Sabu, Public Enemy, etc, then the 95-Barely Legal time frame that most identify strongest with, followed by the purple logo TNN era with the Tajiri's, Super Crazy's, Jerry Lynn's, and finally the death's door era with Steve Corino, Rhyno, THE MUSKATEER, Chilly Willy, etc.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:37 pm

Mike wrote:As far as TNN, what we are waiting on as of this morning-

Episodes 5, 9-12, 14-15, 17-18 are missing for 1999.

Episodes 21-24, 26, 28-33, 35-finish are missing for 2000.

Eps 1-18 are up, only missing ep 19 the New Years Eve episode with Awesome/Tanaka in White Plains.

Eps 21, 28, and 31 are the remaining episodes missing from 2000.

I'll try to do a complete guide to ECW on TNN in the next few weeks. Should be good to rewatch some of this Tajiri stuff again.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:50 pm

I'll start joining you too. Safe to assume 19 will be up before I get to it. This will be a lot of fun (or torture, we'll see)

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:58 am

I haven't had the network in a long time. Did the random non PPV shows and stuff (like Born to be Wired, etc,) ever make it up onto the Network, or no?

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Just a few w Cyberslam 96, November to Remember 95. It's too bad because the ECW Home Video shows would be a great supplement for the TV.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:22 am

Really never watched ECW regularly (apart from the summer of 95), so much of what I've seen was on DVDS or online. Just started a minor binge of early 2000 stuff going into Guilty as Charged 2000. And on the first show, we see the Tanaka/Awesome title change from White Plains.

Now, I know it's considered the right thing to be mortified by the head shots and whatnot, and I certainly cringed a few times, but this was just an amazing match. I can absolutely see why WCW wanted Awesome so bad and it's very sad that he never became a bigger star than he was. It also amazes me that Tanaka is still going pretty hard today, a decade and a half later.

Halfway through Guilty as Charged and I'll just say that Paul E is lucky that the stupidity of WCW and TNA has buried that horrible garbage that was his undercard booking here. The guys were good, but some of the booking is sub TNA at its worst levels

NutCrack

Post by NutCrack » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:33 pm

Finally got to see the Mike Awesome / RVD interactions to start their feud before Rob snapped his leg. Those would have been some great matches. Awesome would have been a great base for RVD, and Rob would take a pounding from Awesome. Shame we never got it.

wac

Post by wac » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Eddie Guerrero & The Steiner Brothers vs. Cactus Jack, Dean Malenko, & Too Cold Scorpio from 1995: http://network.wwe.com/video/v36897431/ ... e/36903213

The only time Eddie and Foley met in the ring, Eddie is insanely over. Fun match.

NutCrack

Post by NutCrack » Fri May 06, 2016 10:55 am

wac wrote:Eddie Guerrero & The Steiner Brothers vs. Cactus Jack, Dean Malenko, & Too Cold Scorpio from 1995: http://network.wwe.com/video/v36897431/ ... e/36903213

The only time Eddie and Foley met in the ring, Eddie is insanely over. Fun match.
Thanks for this, had no idea it existed.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Wed May 11, 2016 8:56 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:Even in what amounted to less than a decade, ECW managed to have four clear eras. The pre-95 Eastern era with the vets like Snuka, Muraco, Hawk, etc during the formative years of Dreamer, Sabu, Public Enemy, etc, then the 95-Barely Legal time frame that most identify strongest with, followed by the purple logo TNN era with the Tajiri's, Super Crazy's, Jerry Lynn's, and finally the death's door era with Steve Corino, Rhyno, THE MUSKATEER, Chilly Willy, etc.
Justin Credible, Steve Corino, Rhyno era ECW was very bad. ECW was an absolute mess...Awesome walked out and they had to do an impromptu title switch with Taz, leading to Tommy Dreamer winning the title, and losing it in the same night.

Lou E. Dangerously, Jack Victory, Da Baldies, Billy Wiles...FFS. So bad.

gpusa

Post by gpusa » Fri May 20, 2016 7:51 pm

I've been watching 96-97 Hardcore TV, what was the end goal of Rick Rude coming in? He seemingly had a rivalry w Shane Douglas but since then has just been on commentary talking about Francine the entire time.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:00 pm

Now that TNN is in full, I want to try to watch it for each month and post back for the next year. Since it started this month and this is now the first September it debuted, I like to watch with that in timeline order. If you want to do the same--

Ep 1 from late August is a skip for me with the recap show.

Eps 2 and 3 are good from the Madhouse of Extreme with mostly new stuff, with an Awesome/Tanaka from Heat Wave 98 match thrown in. You have the Dudeys angle and Raven coming back to kick things off.

Ep 4 is a great episode from Philadelphia with Lynn/RVD and Tajiri/Crazy.

Ep 5 is ok with an ep from Buffalo with Guido/Crazy going about 7 minutes with some Anarchy Rulz '99 highlights thrown in.

Honestly if you even skip the reviews of Dreamer/Raven if you're already familiar and just watch the TNN matches and not the throwback stuff, you can probably clear these four episodes in under two hours.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:52 am

ECW on TNN Match Rankings-

1. Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn (TV Championship) - 9/17/99 - episode 4
2. Super Crazy vs. Little Guido - 9/24/99 - episode 5
3. Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn (TV Championship) - 9/10/99 - episode 3
4. Taz vs. Tajiri (ECW World Championship) - 9/3/99 - episode 2
5. Rhino vs. Super Crazy - 9/10/99 - episode 3

Crazy/Guido from 9/24 almost was my #1. That was really something fun with Guido just throwing his assault out on Crazy who kept overcoming. I would expect this list to be a lot of Guido, Crazy, and Tajiri. I am enjoying watching again how Paul E tried to lay out these shows for the TNN audience.

October has five shows- a post-Anarchy Rulz Plymouth MI show with Awesome's first appearance as Champ, two Louisiana shows, a skippable recap show of Anarchy Rulz '99 with a Sunny shoot, and a show from the Mid Hudson Civic Center in Poughkeepsie with WWF bound Taz vs. Sabu. They range from 39 to 42 minutes, so they are a super easy watch.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:30 pm

The Tammy Sytch stuff on episode 7 is very interesting to watch today. Very strange to run a recap show with PPV matches already again two weeks after they did on episode 5. The HCTV was airing TNN matches too around this time so they must've screwed up their TV tapings. I'll have to read the Observer archive for this.

Rhino vs. Awesome opens episode 6 from 10/1/99 and I would highly recommend the time to watch it. It's short but is a good fight and Rhino takes a disgusting bump at the end.

There is a HCTV from 10/2 that has Rhino vs. Christopher Daniels in a rare, if I think only, ECW TV appearance for him.