Favorite/Best WrestleMania matches

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Mike

Re: Favorite/Best WrestleMania matches

Post by Mike » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Great list! I am trying to do my Top 50 after this year.

I watched Mania X last night on it's birthday and man, what a phenomenal show that is still. A personal favorite of mine. Bret/Owen is just a masterpiece and Shawn/Razor is fun to still watch. That is a match that is very tame in comparison to the ladder matches of today, but it still is very, very well executed.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:36 am

25 YEARS AGO:

ShittyLittleBoots

Post by ShittyLittleBoots » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Recently went back & re-watched some of the best/biggest WM matches.. Here are all the ones I have at ****+

22) Bad News Barrett vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Luke Harper vs. R-Truth vs. Stardust - 31 (****)
21) Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - 3 (****)
20) Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels - 10 (****)
19) CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho - 28 (****1/4)
18) Roddy Piper vs. Bret Hart - 8 (****1/4)
17) Chris Benoit vs. Christian vs. Chris Jericho vs. Edge vs. Kane vs. Shelton Benjamin - 21 (****1/4)
16) Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage - 8 (****1/2)
15) Batista vs. The Undertaker - 23 (****1/2)
14) John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels - 23 (****1/2)
13) CM Punk vs. The Undertaker - 29 (****1/2)
12) Randy Savage vs. The Ultimate Warrior - 7 (****1/2)
11) Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns - 31 (****1/2)

10) Hollywood Hogan vs. The Rock - 18 (****1/2)
9) Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels - 24 (****1/2)
8) Triple H vs. Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels - 20 (****1/2)
7) Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. Daniel Bryan - 30 (****3/4)
6) Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker - 26 (****3/4)

5) The Rock vs. Steve Austin - 17 (****3/4)
4) Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart - 10 (*****)
3) Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin - 13 (*****)
2) Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker - 25 (*****)
1) Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H - 30 (*****)

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:44 pm

Rewatching some of Mania VII between the Villanova game now - man was The Rockers vs. Haku and Barbarian a fun opener. I've always felt it was on par with the Rumble 91 opener with the Orients a few months before. You see Shawn here and you can just see that this dude was going to be a Superstar.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Would people be in to maybe splitting this off this year to how it was for the Rumble threads? It'd be 32 posts, but they'd be a nice way to organize each Mania's thoughts separately in a way where it'd be a good resource to use for years to come. With things like Twitter, nothing is really "saved", so using a message board to keep these thoughts together in one place would be a good way to preserve it all.

Just because once March hits and I finish the ROH project, I would love to do my Top 50 matches like I had hoped to start last year. I have roughly a good chunk down, but I think every year during Mania season, it's always a real fun time for me to go back and rewatch most of them again.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:26 pm

Mike wrote:Would people be in to maybe splitting this off this year to how it was for the Rumble threads? It'd be 32 posts, but they'd be a nice way to organize each Mania's thoughts separately in a way where it'd be a good resource to use for years to come. With things like Twitter, nothing is really "saved", so using a message board to keep these thoughts together in one place would be a good way to preserve it all.

Just because once March hits and I finish the ROH project, I would love to do my Top 50 matches like I had hoped to start last year. I have roughly a good chunk down, but I think every year during Mania season, it's always a real fun time for me to go back and rewatch most of them again.
Go for it, Mike!

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:53 pm

I think there should probably be a subforum to prevent 32 (+) threads from clogging up an already kinda slow board. Especially if the intent is archiving these for future reference. If there can be a constant subforum for the WON awards I'd think this would be a doable thing.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:58 pm

Bumping this old friend for another year.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:00 pm

Mike wrote:Would people be in to maybe splitting this off this year to how it was for the Rumble threads? It'd be 32 posts, but they'd be a nice way to organize each Mania's thoughts separately in a way where it'd be a good resource to use for years to come. With things like Twitter, nothing is really "saved", so using a message board to keep these thoughts together in one place would be a good way to preserve it all.

Sadly I was too paranoid to clog up this board with 33 individual threads. I will say that the days of going and rewatching every Mania are long gone and now even watching every great match you want to again is too. Too much to watch now, wrestling and otherwise, to ever realistically do it sadly.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Mike wrote: Sadly I was too paranoid to clog up this board with 33 individual threads.
Seriously, what kind of asshole would do such a thing? :D

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:19 pm

*Suddenly has a semi relevant idea related to this. Wheels turning, work goes undone*

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:39 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Mike wrote: Sadly I was too paranoid to clog up this board with 33 individual threads.
Seriously, what kind of asshole would do such a thing? :D
Hey you be quiet over there!

Looking back those Rumble threads have become a good resource now. I like having these running diary/memory threads a lot. I think that's probably one of the reasons message boards still have a relevant use.