Show of the Year

br26
VOW Staff Member

Re: (WON Awards '15) Show of the Year

Post by br26 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:32 am

A show like WK9 happens very, very rarely.

It has my vote.

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Morten VH wrote:Okada/Tanahashi was ***** as well, and Dave knows that. He just gave it ****3/4 so he didn't have to listen to the ridiculous complaints, about him favoring stuff from Tokyo Dome.

That's the only explanation i can come up with, because i thought Tana/Okada and Nak/Ibushi were both 5 star.

Going by Observer ratings only, has there ever been another show, that had two ****3/4+ star matches on the same card?
In hindsight he probably would have given it 5 stars, but thought it fell short at the time. Just my interpretation.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:28 am

Tenryu's retirement wrapped this one up about three hours ago

sternness

Post by sternness » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:13 am

Morten VH wrote:Going by Observer ratings only, has there ever been another show, that had two ****3/4+ star matches on the same card?
These three come to mind, there may be more though.
WrestleMania X (Owen/Bret ****3/4, Ladder Match *****)
Super J Cup 1994 (Liger/Sasuke ****3/4, Sasuke/Pegasus *****)
8/4/13 G1 (Shibata/Ishii *****, Ibushi/Nakamura ****3/4)

DylanZero

Re: Show of the Year

Post by DylanZero » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:54 am

This is one of the harder awards for me to be honest and will probably come down to the very last day to determine a definitive 3.

EVOLVE 47
EVOLVE 45
WK9
EVOLVE 52
Ultima Lucha
NXT: Respect
NOAH Great Voyage in Osaka 9/19
Revolution FINAL
Chilanga Mask 8/16 all have a shot at placing in the top 3.
Last edited by DylanZero on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:29 am

sternness wrote:
Morten VH wrote:Going by Observer ratings only, has there ever been another show, that had two ****3/4+ star matches on the same card?
I think this alone, is an argument that Wrestle Kingdom 9 is one of the 5-10 best shows in the history of wrestling. Should be good enough to place #1 in 2015 then.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:23 am

I think WK9 is looked at more fondly because it was the big show of the year. Nothing was really amazing outside of the top two matches (and Minoru Suzuki), and as I said earlier Nak/Ibushi didn't hit the same chord with me that it seems to have with a lot of people. Great show that felt like such an event because it was the Dome show, but not top three of the year for me personally. I like something's that's more top to bottom excellent, for example those J Cup and Osaka G1 shows in the above post blow away Wrestle Kingdom to me.

But the Tenryu show as far as overall enjoyment might have been my favourite event all year. I hope it gets a good amount of non-ironic votes.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:43 pm

WK9
Takeover Respect
BOLA Night 2

wac

Post by wac » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:12 am

sternness wrote:
Dream Slam I had Akira Hokuto vs. Shinobu Kandori and Kyoko Inoue/Takako Inoue vs. Cutie Suzuki/Mayumi Ozaki at *****

Big Egg Wrestling Universe in 1994 had Combat Toyoda vs. Yomiko Hotta at ****3/4 and Aja Kong vs. Manami Toyota at ***** (but to be fair, it was a 10 hour show with 23 matches)

2014 G1 Night 7 had AJ Styles vs. Minoru Suzuki and Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Tomohiro Ishii both at ****3/4

New Beginning in Osaka 2014 had Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito and Hirooki Goto vs. Kazuchika Okada at ****3/4

mancraig

Post by mancraig » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:23 pm

Ufc 189
Evolve 45
Wk 9
Dominion
Wrestlemania
Ultima lucha
Wwn supershow
Rev Pro Uprising

Novaxkh

Post by Novaxkh » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:00 pm

I have not watched any New Japan or Lucia underground PPVs so please forgive me if my choice is wrong to a lot of people. When I think of great PPVs the two stood out and both were from NXT. It was Respect and R Evolution. For Respect, all of the matches are considered to good to awesome with the Main Event being the first women's main event in WWE history. For R Evolution, you have the debut of demon balor, the launching pad for the "divas revolution" with Sasha and Charolette, and you have the main event in which I would say as one of WWEs best Title Matches in the last 5 years. It is a tough choice but I am going with Respect based on the fact that it's consistently good the entire show.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Wrestle Kingdom 9
NXT Takeover Respect
NXT Takeover Brooklyn

I REALLY liked Respect. As others have said it had the matches but it was SO well paced and so tight was like the best stage production you've ever seen.

Headlock

Post by Headlock » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:22 pm

I have ADHD wich makes it extremly hard for me to watch a show in one sitting, because i'll get bored easily, I only watched 3 shows this year in one sitting.

All from Dragon Gate:
Dead or Alive
Dangerous Gate
Gate of Destiny

Out of those 3 I enjoyed Gate of Destiny the most wich makes it my Show of the Year.

Sure there where other great shows like wk9 or Champion Gate in Osaka, but these shows couldn't hold my attention.
Call me leon

wac

Post by wac » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:10 pm

rovert wrote:Wrestle Kingdom 9
NXT Takeover Respect
NXT Takeover Brooklyn

I REALLY liked Respect. As others have said it had the matches but it was SO well paced and so tight was like the best stage production you've ever seen.
Respect and Brooklyn were the most fun I had watching wrestling shows this year. Not the best cards of the year but they left me with such a good feeling and really felt like a good investment of my time.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:34 am

[R]Evolution was my favorite Takeover of the year, and i put it 3rd on my ballot, behind WK & Dominion.

The first War of the Worlds with nak/okada vs briscoes, and strong vs kushida, had entered my mind as well.