Most Improved

User avatar
InYourCase
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:50 pm
Location: Lanza's Dojo
Contact:

Re: Most Improved

Post by InYourCase » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Moose for me. Moose was terrible last year. Absolutely awful during his EVOLVE appearances, then very bad in his ROH appearances. This year, between the SCI and his ROH bookings, he's shown signs of being really, really good. Loved his match with Cedric Alexander. Thought he was great in his match with Kongo Kong.

Bayley and Sasha were both really good in 2014. Moose was not. He was, in fact, terrible.

User avatar
br26
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:53 am
Contact:

Re: Most Improved

Post by br26 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:17 am

Sasha Banks. Just got it in terms of ring work, presentation and charisma. Same with Bayley.

Reigns is an easy number 3. Dude really got "it" in-ring wise this year. Thing that held him back was the shitty booking.

User avatar
rovert
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:45 am

Re: Most Improved

Post by rovert » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:43 pm

br26 wrote:Sasha Banks. Just got it in terms of ring work, presentation and charisma. Same with Bayley.
Watch a Sasha match the latter end of last year though.

User avatar
DylanZero
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:38 am
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Most Improved

Post by DylanZero » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:35 pm

Heck, watch a Sasha match today and see how little she's actually improved as a pure wrestler.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

User avatar
sivapc
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:36 am

Re: Most Improved

Post by sivapc » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:34 pm

That match in front of the Full Sail crowd would have gotten this is wrestling chant before their first lock-up. Everybody blame WWE not giving chance for the divas and we all saw what happened last night. I hope Foley writing his blog furiously about holding back Sasha and stuffs.

User avatar
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin
Posts: 2174
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Wheaton, IL
Contact:

Re: Most Improved

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:01 pm

This is going to be a super tough award for me this year. I think I've got it down to some combination of Moose, Roman Reigns, Sasha Banks and Bayley but I can probably list about 15 others if I really wanted to. Moose jumps out at me initially because he was completely lost a year ago and is now a solid wrestler. With that said, someone like Banks went from being really good to arguably the best in the world for much of the year.

User avatar
DylanZero
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:38 am
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Most Improved

Post by DylanZero » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:53 am

Sasha had 3- possibly 4 (5 if you really want to stretch to that Fatal-4-Way, but I will say 3) great performances this year when she was given all the advantages in the world to have them, and has many many more where she's looked below average when she had to wrestle in a more typical situation. To say she's looked like the best in the world for "much of the year" is a statement I'd like to see analyzed and justified more in depth among you guys who feel that way.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Most Improved

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:18 am

DylanZero wrote:Sasha had 3- possibly 4 (5 if you really want to stretch to that Fatal-4-Way, but I will say 3) great performances this year when she was given all the advantages in the world to have them, and has many many more where she's looked below average when she had to wrestle in a more typical situation. To say she's looked like the best in the world for "much of the year" is a statement I'd like to see analyzed and justified more in depth among you guys who feel that way.
As someone who always makes this very same point, I always forget about the really strong house show matches vs Charlotte that made bootleg earlier this year that she also deserves credit for. They were all the same match, but that's how WWE house show matches work so that doesn't bother me a single bit. I watched two (one was clipped) and they were 4-star range. Your post reminded me to bring that up.

But yes, she has arguably the weakest overall resume ever for someone with real, legitimate claim on BITW for a given year.

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Most Improved

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:18 am

Also fwiw, I wouldn't even consider her for Most Improved this year. She was already good. She had a stronger case last year.

User avatar
Lawsoncomedy
Posts: 696
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Re: Most Improved

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:21 am

I think Sasha was great last year too. This year she showed us excellence. I still say she has a case for most outstanding wrestler, but not most improved. Bayley, maybe. I didn't see much in Bayley as a worker last year. Great character, but as a worker...not yet. This year, she's been amazing. The match she got out of Nia Jax might be her actual crowning achievement.

Moose and Reigns I could see. Mil Muertes I could totally see. Never liked Mesias. Muertes has been a revelation.

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Most Improved

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:23 am

Lawsoncomedy wrote:I think Sasha was great last year too. This year she showed us excellence. I still say she has a case for most outstanding wrestler, but not most improved. Bayley, maybe. I didn't see much in Bayley as a worker last year. Great character, but as a worker...not yet. This year, she's been amazing. The match she got out of Nia Jax might be her actual crowning achievement.

Moose and Reigns I could see. Mil Muertes I could totally see. Never liked Mesias. Muertes has been a revelation.
The thing with Muertes is I'm told he still stinks in Mexico proper. I've only seen two or three matches. They all stunk.

User avatar
Lawsoncomedy
Posts: 696
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Re: Most Improved

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:31 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
Lawsoncomedy wrote:I think Sasha was great last year too. This year she showed us excellence. I still say she has a case for most outstanding wrestler, but not most improved. Bayley, maybe. I didn't see much in Bayley as a worker last year. Great character, but as a worker...not yet. This year, she's been amazing. The match she got out of Nia Jax might be her actual crowning achievement.

Moose and Reigns I could see. Mil Muertes I could totally see. Never liked Mesias. Muertes has been a revelation.
The thing with Muertes is I'm told he still stinks in Mexico proper. I've only seen two or three matches. They all stunk.

Ah, so maybe Muertes stinks and LU is just an excellent promotion? I mean, that casket match is one of my favorite matches of all time. It's hard to think that Mesias of all people is in possibly my favorite lucha match ever.

User avatar
DylanZero
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:38 am
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Most Improved

Post by DylanZero » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:30 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
DylanZero wrote:Sasha had 3- possibly 4 (5 if you really want to stretch to that Fatal-4-Way, but I will say 3) great performances this year when she was given all the advantages in the world to have them, and has many many more where she's looked below average when she had to wrestle in a more typical situation. To say she's looked like the best in the world for "much of the year" is a statement I'd like to see analyzed and justified more in depth among you guys who feel that way.
As someone who always makes this very same point, I always forget about the really strong house show matches vs Charlotte that made bootleg earlier this year that she also deserves credit for. They were all the same match, but that's how WWE house show matches work so that doesn't bother me a single bit. I watched two (one was clipped) and they were 4-star range. Your post reminded me to bring that up.

But yes, she has arguably the weakest overall resume ever for someone with real, legitimate claim on BITW for a given year.
Their San Jose house show match was a top 100 match of the year for me in all likelihood. That was my 3rd and definitely better than the Fatal 4 Way, in imo better than specifically her performance in the Becky match though that match itself was much better.

That said, her BITW case, which again pretty much comes apart at the seams with any sort of critical examination, was because of the impact of her top matches and "moments" largely, moreso than her actually being a good wrestler throughout the year. There are dozens and dozens and dozens of candidates who had better in-ring years up and down, and in pretty clear fashion who weren't in as heralded positions as her as the face of the new craze of women's wrestling in one of the top darling "promotions". (FWIW NXT doesn't mean to me what it does to others nor is a woman having legit great matches a new or surprising concept to me, which also probably plays a role in my disenchanted view of her year after she proved my fears right after getting called up.)

And yes, Mesias isn't very good at all.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

User avatar
Robareid
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:38 am
Location: South East England, UK
Contact:

Re: Most Improved

Post by Robareid » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:44 am

Shelton is definitely in contention for me on this one.

User avatar
Benno
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:28 pm

Re: Most Improved

Post by Benno » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Just talking in-ring, it has to be Roman but agree it feels weird voting for him when he's such a lock for overrated.

My new found appreciation for Marty Scurll since he's revamped his look, character and just general ring presence puts him top of the list for me. His work is so much better now, and he was already good.

Drew Galloway has been great this year outside of WWE but he probabaly always had it in him so it's hard to quantify. I suppose it'd be like voting for Del Rio's El Patron run.

Post Reply