October (Nominations)

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

October (Nominations)

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:08 pm

Nominations for October are now underway at http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/1 ... minations/.

Please read the description as there are a few matches (and events) that we're going to count for October (in particular Battle of Los Angeles).

Lawsoncomedy

Re: October (Nominations)

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Suzuki vs Suguira deserved to be nominated last month. I saw it one day too late.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Lawsoncomedy wrote:Suzuki vs Suguira deserved to be nominated last month. I saw it one day too late.
Because of when it was uploaded/released, almost nobody saw it in September or those who did saw it the last few days of September. It just missed the cut and was a victim of the way we vote/nominate matches.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:24 pm

Maybe you should consider waiting to open nominations until November 1st from now on then. I'm sure that won't be the last time, a match is left out due to airing in the last days of a month. Just a suggestion.

I agree on Suzuki/Suigura. It was probably the MOTM last month. But it's not a October match, so i agree on the decision to not include it in October.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:46 am

The problem with that is that then after taking time for the end of the nominations and then we have a week of voting then we're halfway into the following month and just releasing the previous month's MotM. As a group we weren't happy with the timeliness of this, so decided to pull the nominations back so they ended on the last day of the month so we would be able to get the final column out come the month end. Every match that airs during the month still has the potential to be nominated, but if a match from a non-live show airs towards the end of the period it can get missed, but that's a price we decided to pay in order to help keep a currentness to the project. Also, things slip through the cracks in the new system because even though something might air at the end of say September most people aren't getting around to watching it until the beginning of October. So from that it doesn't seem overly ridiculous that a match that most voters will watch in the month after it aired qualifies for that month's MotM. It's kind of bending the parameters of MotM, but MotM is pretty loose and mainly just something to expose great matches and to be a nice tool for those looking back for MotY purposes, it's a lot less strict than the MotY project.

Oh and Suzuki-Sugiura is being included this month, because most people who watched it (at least in the West) watched it in October.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:50 am

Alright, thanks for the clarification. Image

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:45 am

Although I see we're actually ending nominations on the 28th this month, since there's barely any shows scheduled after that.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:34 pm

Yeah, nobody is running for the rest of the month so other than things being uploaded/consumed later in the month, we shouldn't have problems.

And Rob echoed our thoughts exactly, we didn't want MATCH OF THE MONTH OCTOBER to release in the 2nd week of November, nobody cares about October by that point. We did that system for awhile and the project suffered.

This is unfortuantely the only way to do it, still have it be timely, still allow for nominations and still allow for voting — there will be some casualties along the way but I think more times than not, it'll be okay.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:51 pm

And come year end we'll have twelve columns featuring the elite matches of the year, even if one or two matches slightly end up in the wrong box.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:14 pm

Damn...with BOLA and the Suigura/Suzuki match this month is going to be crazy. Had a hard time narrowing things down. I ended up nominating 6 matches I didn't even vote anything from NJPW, NXT or WWE. :shock: O'Reilly/Kushida, Haskins/Ciampa, Thatcher/Hero, 2.0/Everett, Lee and Biff (honestly I think half my love for that match was sitting behind Rich Swann loosing his mind during this match), Speedball/End (although I may be overrating and fanboying) and Suigra/Suzuki was my vote. Okada/Styles and Banks/Bayley were great but I didn't love those matches as much as their earlier efforts this year plus I feel like they will get nomd regardless. I may end up voting for them though in a 3rd ballot. :lol:

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:25 pm

We have roughly 12 matches already nominated with a bunch more waiting for one move vote to get in. It's an insanely deep month with BOLA added in.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:28 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:Yeah, nobody is running for the rest of the month so other than things being uploaded/consumed later in the month, we shouldn't have problems.
brb, need to lower my low prediction for CMLL's iPPV on Friday even lower.

(they're not doing on demand and there won't be enough eyeballs on Volador/Sombra to crack top 10 this month, the way you're doing it makes sense, it's just funny.)