2016 G1 Climax

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Leo C

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by Leo C » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:21 pm

This is going to be great. I was very surprised that Okada and Tana ended up on the same block. Marufuji's addition is fresh, but not really much else. Man always looks bored during all his matches (from what I've seen, at least), let's see how he fares. Another guy to watch is Tonga, he's definitely got something to prove here. Other than a Shibata tourney/block win, what I want to see the most (as a mark) is Kojima pinning Okada on the 31st, by reversing the Rainmaker into his own Lariat or something of that nature.

Nakajima is definitely a better pick from NOAH. I'm bummed MiSu isn't in, but not really that surprised. I also really like Yano, he's a great troll, his matches always feel unique and can always go either way. I'll try not to convince myself to get really excited for a possible Shibata win, I do expect him to get some big wins over Omega and maybe Elgin. Don't expect him to pin Naito. Also looking forward to YOSHI-HASHI's run here.

As far as results, I'd put my money on Naito over Tanahashi on the finals. I'm with the people who said Shibata will be spoiled by EVIL, I'd guess we're also in for Marufuji pinning everybody and being spoiled by Goto as well. Not sure Tana is pinning Okada, I could see it, but it may be a deal where Tanahashi advances with a draw and Okada doesn't. I wouldn't really go with anyone else but Naito winning it, Naito vs Okada III at the Dome sounds exactly like a match Gedo would do.

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:47 am

Something that really isn't being talked about much is that last year there were only two G1 participants under the age of 30, Elgin and Okada. Even with everyone another year older, there's 5 now with Nakajima, SANADA & EVIL.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Listening to the VoW podcast, I wonder if Tonga shows up in a big way. I personally don't like his wrestling style, its so soft, he's this well built Tongan lad but doesn't really wrestle like it. But I hope he can do good things and deserve this push.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:59 am

So I wake this morning to hear that Kojima gave up his G1 spot to Tenzan?! So dumb, if true...

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:28 pm

I'm in the minority, but Tenzan being in the G1 one last time makes a great story. He knows his days are numbered, but he could have a great run if he brings his work boots like he has with his other singles matches this year. He's in a great block and he's a great worker when he needs to be. Plus he's in with Goto again o_o
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

AlphabetJones

Post by AlphabetJones » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:49 pm

The idea of Tenzan having to fight to get in, announcing that it's his last G1, and then telling that story throughout the tournament is a lot more interesting than him bowing out quietly. I'm just disappointed that Kojima is the one that had to go. Looking through the other participants I don't really know who else I'd cut though. It really is a solid line-up this year.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:39 pm

I know we have some ardent Kojima fans at the VOdub but I'm really tired of his formula at this point. I'll take Tenzan's handful of great matches that for my tastes pretty much blow anything Kojima does out of the water over Kojima having the exact same ok match every night.

jesse

Post by jesse » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:55 pm

:)
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:45 pm

I am very disappointed with this Tenzan deal, pretty much just because of Kojima being out though.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:39 am

Now we'll get that Tenzan/Fale dream match................

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:11 am

It should've been Tenzan instead of Elgin, but this is good as well.

trask

Post by trask » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:08 am

Every G1 Climax card, start time and more. Bookmark it! http://wrestlingwithwords.com/njpw-g1-c ... formation/
Trask Bryant
Founder of Wrestling With Words

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:11 pm

So......when's the Pick'em happening?

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:56 pm

More of a general question, is the booking already worked out as to who is going to win this all in the end and how? Or does Gedo go in with a strong outline and the ability to edit on the fly? With so many matches and so many points I would think there's more than one way to skin a cat, so there could be several different approaches that ultimately wind up at the same endpoint. This one is just so hard to predict...

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:43 pm

Heather wrote:More of a general question, is the booking already worked out as to who is going to win this all in the end and how? Or does Gedo go in with a strong outline and the ability to edit on the fly? With so many matches and so many points I would think there's more than one way to skin a cat, so there could be several different approaches that ultimately wind up at the same endpoint. This one is just so hard to predict...
It's all booked out ahead of time, which is why injuries are such a major headache.

What's interesting is that from what we were told by someone who has participated in several is that the wrestlers have no clue on their direction or who is booked out to win it, and show up each night blind as to whether they are winning or losing. Now, it's entirely possible that the eventual winner is clued in on his direction, but from what this dude told us, he would show up, be given a finish for that night, and things would play out for him just as it does us.