2016 G1 Climax

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Jacob's Bawks

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:40 am

EvanDeadlySins wrote:
Jacob's Bawks wrote: * Attendance overall is 19,386 so far. It was 18,645 this time last year so a slight increase. Selling out Aichi wouldn't give this year a boost because they did that last year, but they didn't sell out Osaka last year which is something they could do this year. Anyone know how Sumo Hall tickets are moving?[/list]

The realistic analysis to make is that you have to account for some of the difference with the fact that 8/12 is a Friday and 8/13 a Saturday. It's your prerogative to shout from the rooftops that Okada and Tanahashi aren't draws if you feel so inclined.
Damn straight they aren't draws. I long for the days when Fujita and Sapp were champions.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:25 am

How convenient to omit the attendance flop that was WK10. But G1, fuck yeah, those couple hundreds more people in Teranichi must have fired up New Japan's books!

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Chismo wrote:How convenient to omit the attendance flop that was WK10. But G1, fuck yeah, those couple hundreds more people in Teranichi must have fired up New Japan's books!
It's pretty well-known at this point that the attendance drop from WK9 to WK10 wasn't 11,000, it was more like 1,500. The 36,000 for WK9 was a fake number. And this year they actually sold all of the floor seats so the gate was about the same, according to Kidani.

rollup

Post by rollup » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:17 am

Yugi Nagata vs Young Punks should be a yearly story line

soup23

Post by soup23 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:51 am

Makabe vs. Tenzan

These two have had a 100 matches together and I can’t think of one that was memorable. This didn’t buck that trend. Makabe just doesn’t seem like he is willing to give Tenzan anything to keep the upset hopes alive. Sure enough, he runs through some offense and hits the Kong knee for the win. **1/2

SANADA vs. Goto

Still not feeling Goto at all in this tournament. SANADA has done well but really needs a partner that is willing to go along for the ride for the match to reach a strong level. This was nothing offensive but another match that will leave no lasting impression. **3/4

Ishii vs. Marufuji

Good, stiff wrestling. A simple storyline but they really brought the fight here and provided a really good match that looked like it was filled with hatred compared to most of the other bouts this evening. I can see the high ratings of ****+ this match has received but it didn’t reach that level for me because of the no selling in certain points. Still overall a strong effort. ***1/2

Okada vs. Tonga

This was a cookie cutter heavyweight match. The problem that Tonga still has is the lack of being able to portray a viable strategy or persona that is agreeable to the viewer from both a kayfabe standpoint and an entertaining one. Like usual, he attacks Okada on the outside doing some “stuff”, works him over a bit on the inside and then we go into the finishing stretch. They do have a couple of good Rainmaker teases but Tonga eventually falls to the move. **1/2

Bad Luck Fale vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Fale continues to impress. This continued his narrative of the opponent playing the big underdog working from underneath. Fale was especially vicious here when he grabs the guard rail and slams it against Tana’s chest and arm. Tanahashi does a great job selling both the arm and back during this heat sequence. My favorite cut off was Fale clotheslining Tanahashi to the outside although the knees up on the second High Fly Flow attempt was also very well done. Tanhashi ends up getting a banana peel roll up finish to give him some points and keep Fale strong. I thought Tana ran through his offense in the closing stretch a bit too easily, but this was overall a really engaging main event and Fale continues to be my surprise of the tournament. ***1/2

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:15 pm

Damn, Shibata vs Naito fucking ruled and glad to see that it's not over between them. Loved the finish.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:55 pm

That was easily the best B block show to date and possibly the best overall show too. Super pumped so I'm going to throw some stars at it!

Yano/ Honma was a complete and utter waste of time, I've normally got time for Yano in the G1 because he changes the feel a bit, it's never a difficult watch and it gives the guys who go hard a night off, but this was just awful.

Yoshi-Hashi/ Evil was a great match, both men are having very impressive G1's putting together some good undercard matches. The crowd was really into it too, which was a positive omen going forward given some B block shows have been dampened by the somewhat subdued crowd, that was not the case here. Loved it! ***3/4

Nakajima/ Nagata was probably the best match of both guy's G1 so far, some brutal looking stuff towards the end but enjoyable from start to finish. Nakajima seems more comfortable in a New Japan ring each time out, Nagata also started out a bit plodding in this G1 but with this match and the Yoshi-Hashi match he's had two good back to back performances, the Elgin match on the next B block show feels like it could be a downgrade but we'll have to see. (Meanwhile Nakajima has Yoshi-Hashi which looks very intriguing) ****

Omega/ Elgin was bloody brilliant, one of the best matches of this years tournament so far, both guys are having very good matches every night but this was their best and, for me, the best they've had together! They went all out probably expecting this to be the end of their saga together and it was superb. Omega really doesn't deserve the bad rep he gets for occasionally overacting because he's an excellent worker and that was once again on display here. Great match ****1/2

Naito/ Shibata, much like the Maru/ Okada match on Night 1 this wasn't about having the crazy back and forth match Omega and Elgin just had, this was about establishing a long term story. I didn't have this quite as high as Maru/ Okada but it was still very good with a great crowd who were into everything. The finish was very interesting, so I look forward to what else is to come here. ****1/4

A brilliant show that on top of the great singles matches somehow got me excited for a Makabe match as his interactions with Marufuji were HEATED. If they have a half decent match tomorrow's top three look pretty good (Tana and Goto could be PHENOMENAL if they get anywhere near their previous best).

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:21 pm

I missed the first three matches, but everybody should absolutely watch the last two. I'll rewatch them later so I have a clear (non-distracted) mind, but they are in the **** range.

Marufuji stiffing Makabe in the preliminaries cheered me up. He seemed really fired up so I hope we get something that isn't crap out of Makabe.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:19 pm

Apparently I value EVIL a lot more than NJPW. He gave way too much to Yoshi-Hashi in that match.

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:13 pm

DETROIT_KEJB wrote:Apparently I value EVIL a lot more than NJPW. He gave way too much to Yoshi-Hashi in that match.
Little weird they would put Honma over him and not EVIL. It's not that bad though, clearly this is Yoshi-hashi basically becoming a midcarder and a proper guy now.

Nagata vs Nakajima was the best Nagata match I've seen in a really long time. Love the story of another new punk coming in and Dad Nagata having to do the honours of giving him a good Dad beating. If they do pinch Nakajima from NOAH I would love if they just did the same story line with Shibata and the Dads with Nakajima except he doesn't learn his lesson because he's with CHAOS.

Elgin and Omega was superb. Rich and Case were totally wrong about Omega even before this match. He made Yoshi-hashi look like a star, he's still busting his ass in the big matches like with Tanahashi and the Elgin series. Naito/Shibata was great even if I was slightly disappointed with it, I'm not sure why, maybe because the previous two matches were so good.

Probably the best G1 show since they changed format.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:44 pm

DETROIT_KEJB wrote:Apparently I value EVIL a lot more than NJPW. He gave way too much to Yoshi-Hashi in that match.
EVIL still has an IC match to go for, and five more matches. Plus he's still the guy that gets the most pinfalls in LiDJ tag matches, and a World Tag League finalist, so they value him plenty. He's being given more opportunities than YH at the moment, I just expect YH to start slowing down and EVIL to rack up some victories and end up around eight points. Still too early to call his push dead because now we're in the comeback stages.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:44 pm

Strong B-block show today.

Shibata/Naito felt special and part of something bigger to come.

Nakajima had his best showing in the tournament with Nagata.

Elgin/Omega was very good, even if it wasn't as good as some of their previous matches.

YOSHI-HASHI/EVIL was good. Both of them are really stepping up.

I am usually fine with Yano matches, but I thought the Yano/Honma match was pretty bad, even for what it was.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:39 pm

If we got Honma vs <insert a great wrestler that could be in the tournament but we got Yano instead>, this would've been a show of the year contender. 4 great matches, you could easily give all of them +**** rating and I wouldn't disagree with that. Imo the second best show of the tournament so far, just slightly behind the Sapporo Show.

Honma/Yano was just meh. I mean, this match just didn't work for me. Idk why. *.

Tacos/EVIL was great. Both guys have really improved recently and both are easily in the better half of workers in this tournament. *** 3/4.

Nakajima/Nagata was also great. Nakajima is showing great intensity and I generally think he is delivering in this tournament. Can't wait for his matches with Big Mike, Omega, Honma and Naito, this will be some good shit. *** 3/4.

Omega/BIg Mike was just excellent. Those two have such a great chemistry. Not quite a MOTY contender, but definitely one of the best matches of the tournament. I fully expected Omega to win and set up a rematch for the title, where he would obviously regain it. I don't really know what they are doing, with the 3 Destruction shows it seems that one of them would be headlined by the IC title match. Omega/Elgin would be good in that role, what could they do instead? Elgin/EVIL sounds weak to me. I mean, they still could do that match, but chances are not that big. Either I am being worked or Omega is really close taking a picture in PC with Big Nose Paul soon. **** 1/4.

Shibata/Naito was just a great main event. I was a little bit worried, because I didn't like their previous two matches from 2015, but this time they showed good chemistry and worked a different kind of match. I really dig Naito's work in this tournament, he's showing great intensity. ****.

So my question to all of you, what do you think will happen with the IC title after the G1? I really thought that Omega will regain it and then they will finally do the rematch with Tanahashi, but he lost to Big Mike again here, and it doesn't look like that's the plan.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:04 pm

Rainmaker_F7 wrote:So my question to all of you, what do you think will happen with the IC title after the G1? I really thought that Omega will regain it and then they will finally do the rematch with Tanahashi, but he lost to Big Mike again here, and it doesn't look like that's the plan.
I also expected Omega to win today to set-up an IC title rematch. Considering that EVIL defeated Elgin, maybe he gets a shot. I was thinking EVIL fit in a little better with the NEVER Openweight guys, though.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Finally caught up and watched the damn matches.

Tomoaki Honma vs. Toru Yano

I wasn't really amused by the antics, but Yano is always a breeze to get through. Short, fast, watchable.

YOSHI-HASHI vs. EVIL

I'm looking forward to more from these two. The action was kept tight and they both looked good with their offense. EVIL was never boring when controlling with restholds, his stikes and grapple moves still look impactful, and YOSHI was great at the end when he (loosely) exploded. He still needs to do something about the Butterfly Lock, but I love everything else about his moveset. I'd rate it ***3/4, but I might bump it to ****.

Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Yuji Nagata

A very stiff and hateful, but smartly worked match. They weren't afraid to back down from each other, but always looked for different ways to outsmart and undercut the other. The best Yuji Nagata match I've seen since I started watching. ****

Kenny Omega vs. Michael Elgin

Everybody's talking about what they liked about the match, so I'll talk about what I disliked:

First, Elgin has had quite a few timing errors throughout the tournament, and there were some here too. He waits too long to do something, or he's quite slow getting something done. Big example being when he was setting up a lariat, he waited until Kenny was stable on both feet to start running so Kenny could watch him run back and forth to hit him. Other being when he went for the One Winged Angel, Omega stood there frozen for a second or two so Elgin could squeeze his head under his legs and pick him up.

Second problem being I thought the ending stretch felt a bit disjointed for the rest of the match. It was like they were trying to have an epic match with a lot of finish reversals, finisher theft, etc. with the problem being the match was only sixteen minutes and it wasn't built-up enough. I was reminded of AJ/Tanahashi last year when they did a lot of the same stuff those guys did, but that worked because they built up to it while this just kinda started happening. I feel like they kinda blew their load too early because the feud is not over. ****1/4

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tetsuya Naito

Probably Shibata's most hateful performance. Started hot, which I loved, then when Shibata started mounting a comeback, Naito panicked and tried out-striking and out-wrestling Shibata with submission holds, something you don't do. Shibata is a great seller, as always, as he never once forgot to sell the arm and Naito brought great intensity. As stiff a match you'll see this tournament, and Shibata choking out a guy he clearly could have pinned was a nice touch. It's clearly not over between those two, and that makes me so happy. ****1/4