Dragon Gate (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
michaelrspears

Re: Dragon Gate

Post by michaelrspears » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:45 pm

That might have been my favorite Doi Darts match they've had (outside of the Triangle Gate darts team of course). They managed to have everyone flow so well and worked great comedy (the Don Fujii chop sequence for godsakes) and the last five minutes were tremendous in both setting up Final Gate and looking ahead to 2017.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:14 pm

Just had my monthly hungover Saturday morning Dragon Gate binge watch and it reafirms that DG is for me the most enjoyable promotion in the world to watch. I have so much fun watching at the minute.

I loved the main event of the 4th in Sapporo with Yosuke Santa Maria pretty much reaffirming she has mastered the comedy side of her character and I hope she has more opportunities like 2016 to have some serious stuff to sink her teeth into.

Ben-K and Shun vs Ishiida and Yamamura was legit great. The sense of urgency of Ishiida and Yamamura of keeping Ben-K out of the ring at all costs and trying to shoot on him every-time he tried to enter the ring was a great touch. Made the pace of the match and intensity of it very high. Very interested to see where Ishiida and Yamamura go after this loss and Shun showing he can't be slept on with Ben-K and Hyou taking the spotlight of the new rookie class.

Eita picking that teenager that was pretty much just an inch shorter than him for the OG bell ring gimmick was hilarious. Eita and Yoshino is now a team I really want to happen.

Final Gate is shaping up well and now a potential YAMATO/Doi vs Susumu is a great way to kick off 2017.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:06 pm

I thought Final Gate was a great great show, even though TG match was a little bit underwhelming.

Had to miss Mochi & Fuiji vs Young Boys match, heard it was really good, I will probably have to rewatch that.

Pretty surprising that Kzy pinned Big R clean, but I still think we will see Shimizu as the Dream Gate champ either in 2017 or early 18.

Eita vs Kagetora was very good, but just like it was with the Flamita match - had it been 3-5 minutes longer, it'd be an awesome, easily +**** quality match. As it was getting hot Eita got the pinned with the Cazadora, *** 3/4 for this, very good stuff.

Triangle Gate 3 way was awesome! Even the VerserK team did pretty well, and the Yoshino/Susumu sequences were amazing. Susumu pinning Mondai with the Backslide from Heaven was really cool, but I was kinda surprised that we didn't see the title change. Worth noting that Kotoka took the pin, not Ben-K. **** 1/4

I will have to rewatch both TG and DG title because ya know, Christmas. But I did catch a little bit of both. I thought the Twin Gate title match was a little bit underwhelming altough I'd still end up giving this *** 3/4 or ****. It looked like they kinda botched the finish; Kid was supposed to make sure Shingo doesn't break up the pin after Meteora, and he forgot so Shingo just sat on the mat and looked like an idiot. Another surprising finish for me, I was sure that Shingohawk would win the titles.

The main event was just way too fucking long for my tastes. It got really, really awesome in the end, but I think it was nowhere near as good as YAMATO/Shingo and other Shingo's defenses. YAMATO's matches with both Tozawa and Doi were in my opinion very good main events, but you kinda expect more from the Dream Gate matches. I will have to rewatch this because I missed like 3/4 of the first 25 minutes.

Also worth noting that Fukuoka is like the worst wrestling city ever. You know why Final Gate and Dontaku are always very good but never great? That's because of the crowd which always brings matches down. Instead of adding a lot like Osaka or Korakuen, they make stuff less interesting and it's always been like this.

Alright guys, that's the end of a great year for DG. Now onto the bigger things in 2017. We are gonna start with YAMATO as the Dream Gate oja, not sure where we go from there.
Last edited by Rainmaker_F7 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Rainmaker_F7 wrote:
Also worth noting that Fukuoka is like the worst wrestling cities ever. You know why Final Gate and Dontaku are always very good but never great? That's because of the crowd which always brings matches down. Instead of adding a lot like Osaka or Korakuen, they make stuff less interesting and it's always been like this.
They come alive for guys from there. Kento vs Akiyama was very well received in Hakata Starlanes and Kento is from Fukouka. Granted both men wrestled in a smaller and more intimate venue and also went balls to the wall to ensure the crowd was hot. But I agree that fukouka is up there with chiba when it comes to being a ghost town

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:22 am

Final Gate was a fantastic show.Here's how I rated it:
Twin Gate title match CIMA & Dragon Kid vs Shingo & T-Hawk [****3/4]
Open the Dream Gate title match : Naruki Doi vs YAMATO (c) [****1/2 ]
Mochizuki & Fuji vs. Ishida & Yamamura [****]
Open the Brave Gate title match : Eita (c) vs Kagetora [****1/4]
Open the Triangle Gate title match : Masato Yoshino, Kotoka, Ben-K vs. El-Lindaman,Mondai Ryu & Cyber Kong vs. Saito Jimmy Ryo, Jimmy Susumu & Jimmy Kanda [ ]
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:19 pm

**** 3/4 for the Twin Gate is waaay to high imo. **** - **** 1/4, just because last 1/3 was phenomenal. But the first 10/14 minutes felt lifeless, really nothing worth noting happened. Loved the veterans vs young guys match tho, **** for me as well, awesome stuff and the finish was so, so great.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:12 am

Good show. With all the title matches being good to great.

I enjoyed Eita vs Kagetora, but just like the Flamita and Lindaman Brave Gate defences I wish it had 5 more minutes. A common complaint if you scroll back the pages on this thread I can understand that length for when Kotoka and Maria were champ but Eita is on another level to them. Kagetora continues to look smooth as fuck. ***/12

Triangle Gate was great. Susumu was the MVP and was an absolute beast and should come off as being red hot for his eventual match with YAMATO for the Dream Gate. Ben-K was kept hidden but looked good when involved. Kotoka's offence looked much better than usual and Kong always stands out in these matches. Yoshino is another guy who comes off as being in great form and could easily challenge for the Dream Gate. ****

Loved the Twin Gate apart from the CIMA blade spot from the box. Last ten minutes kicked ass and I loved the finish with Shingo being dead from the Schwein onto the chairs and unable to break up the flash Meteora from CIMA. My only wish was that CIMA and DK were in their prime so they could go more insane. ****1/4

YAMATO vs Doi was too long imo and the climax was a little underwhelming but understandable considering Doi selling his leg. Considering I am watching after 5-6 pints I don't recall there being too many near falls on YAMATO that the crowd bought in for. Would have loved to have seen both show abit more urgency towards the 25 minute mark rather than just move up to their signature spots. ***3/4

Other things I would like to note, is this the first show where all members of Tribe Vanguard won their matches? With Hulk starting to improve match by match I hope TV can make up in for a very lackluster 2016 in the coming weeks and months. The OG kids vs Mochi and Sumo was good but I think their match with Ben-K and Shun was better. Mochi came across like a killer yet again.

Would anyone like to randomly speculate who those two guys were who helped Doi to the back?

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:41 am

Empiresk wrote:
Would anyone like to randomly speculate who those two guys were who helped Doi to the back?
Big R and one of the young dudes, maybe Ben-K?

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:49 am

Overall I enjoyed Final Gate and was surprised to see Case Lowe, so down on it in his review for the site- especially the Twin Gate match, which I really liked. I'll just comment on the matches that mattered.....

Brave Gate: What Eita and Kagetora produced here was very good, it's just a shame they got shafted on time. As Empiresk said above, it's fine giving these Brave Gate matches barely over 10 minutes when it's on a weaker champ such as a Kotoka or a Maria, but Eita's one of the future main event aces of the promotion and deserves to be showcased better. *** 1/2 with what they were able to give us, given five more minutes they could have added another star.

Triangle Gate: This was no all time classic and nothing to really seperate it from many of the other 3 way trio's matches DG have spat out over the past year, but was still a fun match. Ben-K was showcased smartly with his power spot cameo's, the Verserk B-Team were inoffensive (but were rightly the first team eliminated) and it did it's primary job of further building up Susumu for an eventual Dream Gate challenge *** 1/2

Twin Gate: Work rate rise this wasn't the best Twin Gate match and the first half of the match can be seen as a bit plodding, especially if you're used to DG matches being worked at a considerably more urgent pace. However Shingo in particular drew me in with his excellent work as a jerk-ass bully heel and by the end of the match I really, really wanted the Verserk jerks to lose and for the underdog champs to overcome the odds that were being stacked against them. It was indeed one of those matches, where I no longer cared about work-rate and got caught up in the emotion of the match. ****

Dream Gate: Overall I felt that Yamato and Doi put together a good match, but I can certainly understand the complaints with it being too long. But that's the problem with Dream Gate matches in general, it's like they are stuck in this formula of going over 30 minutes and the first ten minutes being plodding limb work. At least the limb work actually went somewhere this time and played into the finish, with Doi's leg giving way on the Muscular Bomb attempt. That was the story they were going for and they executed it pretty well, it's just that they could have had an even better match, if they shaved about 5 minutes off and worked with a bit more urgency (the complete opposite of Eita vs Kagetora) ****

Speedy Bellerin

Post by Speedy Bellerin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:28 pm

Enjoyed Final Gate. Being new to DG I've not really developed strong opinions about who should win. I'd have been happy whoever won the Dream Gate match. I was prepared for a longer/slower match so that didn't bother me. Need to re watch Twin Gate as I was being distracted.

I'd never really heard of Mochizuki before. I still don't know much about him but watching him beat up younglings has been fascinating.

Very intrigued to see what the new unit will be. Ben K and Shimizu would be awesome.

GameFreac

Post by GameFreac » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:06 pm

What are the must watch, essential DG matches from this year? Thanks

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:32 pm

GameFreac wrote:What are the must watch, essential DG matches from this year? Thanks
here's my personal list i put on my twitter:

please ignore me accidentally typing final battle instead of final gate like an idiot

Cabel

Post by Cabel » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:14 pm

Mochizuki/Fuji vs. Ishida/Yamamura may have had one of my favorite finishes ever. Everything you needed to know about the story of the match summarized and punctuated with a "fuck you" stomp from Mochi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:03 pm

Brave Gate matches since Kobe World 2013 are always around 10-15 minutes. Go and check ql the defense times. I like it because for years, they promised that the title would be for youngsters and for three years they've delivered. There's a real spirit feeling to the matches, which I enjoy because I think it fits who the title is geared for.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Would you guys consider Dragon Gate newbie-friendly? I don't mean new to puro, I mean new to wrestling, period, though not new to Japanese culture and with some fluency in the Japanese language (I'm talking about a friend of mine who has lived over there for a long while but I don't know precisely how well she's picked up the language). I asked her about coming with me to see some wrestling when I come to Tokyo and I was wondering if DG would be a good place to go (venue would be Korakuen in case that matters).