Kento Miyahara holds Triple Crown 365 Days

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Irving

Kento Miyahara holds Triple Crown 365 Days

Post by Irving » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:20 pm

Thought this deserves it's own thread. Kento Miyahara holds the Triple Crown now at 365 days making this the longest reign since Satoshi Kojima's first (interesting parallels as well between the two). What are some of your favorite defenses? Do you think his reign has been good for business and where do you see him going headed into the future?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Kento Miyahara holds Triple Crown 365 Days

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:34 pm

At the time I was in favor of losing it to Suwama at Sumo Hall, but in hindsight that would have been stupid. It was the correct move symbolically for their ace to win on that show. Now that he's past that, I think he should hold it for a long time. They basically did one defense per month from March to August, which was probably because they felt they needed to help draw, but now that they've pulled back a bit on the number of defenses, I think he can go a while longer.

I think a lot of people would pick the Moshimo defense as their favorite, but I think the Sekimoto match was by far the best.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Mashimo, Sekimoto and Akiyama are probably my three most liked title defenses. And I think he will probably lose it to Zeus if anyone, given how long that dude's been groomed as a heavyweight.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Kento's importance for the company's recovery can not be understated. The dude has been very important for drawing in new fans to the product and he's very important for their marketing/media game along with the other younger guys (to a lesser degree). Question is if the company had recovered they way it did in 2016 without him.

My personal favorite defenses are Akiyama, Mashimo, Sekimoto, Suwama and Sai in no particular order. Suwama's mainly for the importance of it. The setting, the meaning behind it and the build to it. My downright favorite one is probably Akiyama because it is Kento vs my all time fave Akiyama.

Irving

Post by Irving » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:35 pm

Honestly, these days I only half ass watch wrestling but I will speak to the business side a bit.

When the guy became champ they were running maybe 4 - 6 shows a month. Now the average is anywhere between 8 and 12 which is double and the attendances are up across the board. That's what you want a champion to do. Granted the company cut fat by losing top stars, switching to pay per appearance and striking deals with indy workers and companies, he is one of the primary reasons the fans are sticking around. He is indeed the reason for All Japan's renewed media interest (as Shiraishi pretty damaged that).

All-in-all a success.

WalkKingsRoad

Post by WalkKingsRoad » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:17 am

You guys are all 100% correct, hes been great in the resurgence of All Japan, even if it is a slow but positive one. He has established himself as a top company guy and one of the best not only under 30, but in the world. I would have no issue with him beating Kawada's record for defenses but can All Japan build up a credible enough guy to dethrone the guy who not only is rebuilding the company but broke the record for one of history's greatest Triple Crown champions?

Cabel

Post by Cabel » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:27 am

I haven't watched many of the matches, but the Suwama match was the first time I finally "got" Suwama. I don't know if that's thanks more to his or Kento's performance, but I enjoyed the match immensely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:38 am

Would love for him to somehow defend the title against Hedeki Suzuki.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Posted this thread on Twitter so I expect it to get a little traffic, what matches would you recommend people watch from this reign to get an idea of just how good its been?

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:40 pm

DETROIT_KEJB wrote:Would love for him to somehow defend the title against Hedeki Suzuki.
Hideki is the next challenger for Sekimoto's BJW Strong Championship, that makes it fairly unlikely to happen soon and I don't think Miyahara's title reign will go on for that much longer.
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:Posted this thread on Twitter so I expect it to get a little traffic, what matches would you recommend people watch from this reign to get an idea of just how good its been?
Sekimoto, Mashimo and Akiyama defenses are essential viewing for sure.

pol

Post by pol » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:06 pm

It's difficult to say just how much of an impact Kento's run had on business, because it seems like the relationship with Carbell (and subsequent boost their investment likely gave to their ability to both bring in better talent and better promote the shows) began right around the same time as Kento won the belt. Certainly the public perception is that Kento is the one driving the "boom" though, which is important in its own right. His biggest contribution to business might be bringing in more young fans, which is incredibly important as AJPW's fanbase seems to be significantly older than most promotions. Granted I'm not really sure how much he has done that...

Creatively, it's been a massive win. The shows were good in 2015, but the booking felt directionless with many TC changes. On top of that, as his NOAH stint has shown, Go just isn't a guy who can deliver in a headlining role. Even if you think he's aces in the ring, he just doesn't excite people. Now they have a champion the fans are into and a clear story going forward that generates interest. Fans actually care about when and to whom Kento will eventually lose the TC, which I'm not sure you could say about any of the, say, 5 previous reigns.

MrWillieJones

Post by MrWillieJones » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Kento Miyahara drew me as a new fan. If not for him i would never have started watching this All Japan. He is fantastic! I hope someone brings him to the US, at least for a few shows. His favorite Title defense of mine was the Akiyama one but all of them have been absolutely great. If there's nobody good enough to take the belt from him let him hold it for years.