CMLL, the home of Cavernario

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
JML

Re: CMLL, the home of Cavernario

Post by JML » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 pm

pol wrote:Rush vs. Sombra did some damage to my opinion of both guys as singles workers. There are ways to work a heel vs. heel match to elicit a stronger crowd response - Sombra should have played de facto babyface with Rush giving him a serious beatdown - but they obviously had an idea for a match and weren't willing to adjust for context. Even ignoring that, I still thought the match was bad. They were just doing moves with no sense of build or psychology. Sombra kicking out of a Rush move and hitting a Shadow Driver with no transition was particularly egregious. The sloppy imitations of Japanese spots (an annoying trend in general) were cringe inducing.

Frankly between this and Volador/Sombra (one of the most utterly moronic matches I've seen this year) I'm pretty worried about how the CMLL main event singles match style is going to look after the old guys finally hang it up.
I might be raked over the coals for this but I've enjoyed Sombra and Volador's stuff this year since I've really started paying attention to Lucha. Their style is what I like but I agree with Pol in that for the story of the match, Sombra should've been default babyface. I feel like that match was a result of this weird booking around Sombra these last couple of months. Him dropping his mask, to the teases of the Ingobernables split to them having a match already instead having a big angle next year to his New Japan/WWE rumors to him not being booked on certain shows. I believe there is something more to this instead of CMLL having static booking and guys having highspot type matches just to entertain the crowd.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Hey I liked Sombra and Volador...the first couple of times.

The FantasticaMania lineup is strong and shows someone's paying attention to who the good ones are. Chismo's probably right though, plus one more Dragon Lee/Kamaitachi match probably on the tour.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

pol

Post by pol » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:09 pm

I think most people are into the Sombra/Volador stuff.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:03 am

Like I said, it was good the first times years ago, but they've wrestled so many times I hope the October match is their last for a few years even if Sombra stays.

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

xmantobby

Post by xmantobby » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:11 pm

is Kamaitachi staying in njpw after this?

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:39 pm

The plan was for Kamaitachi to return to Japan in the next couple of months. All the NJPW guys leave for two years and go back, and his two years is just about up.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm sad for CMLL losing Sombra, but I'm not particularly sad for myself as a CMLL viewer. I don't watch CMLL because of Sombra, he's not on my must-watch list, therefore i should be fine with not watching him anymore. Rush leaving, on the other hand, will be a deathblow to me. Dragon Lee and Cavernario too. Thankfully, there are guys like Virus and Casas, those guys are never leaving. There are certain advantages at being short and old.

JML

Post by JML » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:26 pm

As you can tell, I'm happy for Sombra and he was my favorite guy watching the company this year. I will say that he did the right thing in letting CMLL know and losing on his way out. Can't say that about Caristico and Alberto.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:29 am

Oh my God Rush leaving would pretty much be my worst nightmare as a wrestling fan.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:52 pm

Maya's burial of Zavala needs more attention:

“Bobby is a terrible luchador and demonstrated that in the final of the tournament where the fans didn’t care about any of his attacks, or holds, or moves. He looked more like a little pig scampering away from a butcher; he was looked exhausted at the end and showed he didn’t have the minimum to be a real luchador. He should be holding his head in shame, and instead starting screaming from the rooftops that he was the real winner and was sure of his trip to Japan.”

Credit: thecubsfan obviously.

JML

Post by JML » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:16 pm

Chismo wrote:Maya's burial of Zavala needs more attention:

“Bobby is a terrible luchador and demonstrated that in the final of the tournament where the fans didn’t care about any of his attacks, or holds, or moves. He looked more like a little pig scampering away from a butcher; he was looked exhausted at the end and showed he didn’t have the minimum to be a real luchador. He should be holding his head in shame, and instead starting screaming from the rooftops that he was the real winner and was sure of his trip to Japan.”

Credit: thecubsfan obviously.
Maya Jr is in the right though. That Idolo final was awkward.

TKD

Post by TKD » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:07 am

ClaroSpots already has Dragon Lee vs. Kamaitachi up from tonight: http://www.clarosports.com/lucha-libre/ ... hi-505742/ .

If you haven't yet watched it, this is must-watch. It's been a banner year for insanity in lucha, and even so, the level of insanity here smokes everything else to date, including their previous matches.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:02 am

I feel silly for asking because it seems so obvious but is that Asian lady a plant or just a massive fan? I popped just as hard as she did when Kami won, I hate when they reverse finishes but was still best of their feud.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:16 pm

As far as I know, just a fan. She's been to pretty much all the big matches in their feud.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:04 pm

I know, she is great, I love when there are a couple fans that are so into it.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP