CMLL, the home of Cavernario

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Quentin Moody

Re: CMLL, the home of Cavernario

Post by Quentin Moody » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:45 am

H2L was a solid show. My favorite match was definitely Rush/Maximo.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:13 am

I had a blast watching tonight. You can count on CMLL for good wrestling most of the time but when they combine good wrestling with stuff actually happening it makes for a much better overall product. Even the crappiest match tonight had something happen at the end which sets up next week and is a fresh match-up with lots of possible outcomes (UG vs Ciber).

My favorite match was Volador/Negro. Negro is an absolute legend. What 56 year old tries a super frankensteiner and takes a sunset flip bomb to the floor? THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU OLD MAN? Loved the shots of both Casas' daughter & Volador's son. Mexico vs Japan was a good match & Rush/Maximo told a great story. They really put Rush over huge not even giving Maximo a win (Rush got DQ'ed in first fall). That's rare for CMLL as even in matches like Casas/Parka or Maximo/Kamaitachi where the outcome is never in doubt they tend to do the generic 50/50 match going 3 falls.

The only disapointment I'd say was the opener where they really worked an awful match considering what their goal was & then Soberano came out of the match injured. I wouldn't say the work was bad, although it wasn't close to great. It was just the total package came off bad as they went too long which annoyed the crowd & were doing nearfalls/big drama selling in a match that just needed to be in and out with lots of exciting spots.

Things are happening in Mexico. If you follow the news in addition to just the results you better strap yourselves in for an exciting upcoming week or two.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:38 pm

Maximo/Rush was brilliant as expected. From the bait-and-switch beginning to amazing triple Kiss of Death sequence, the match was wonderful experience. It was so weird to see Pierroth as Rush's second, but he was tremendous in the role, and I dare to say his constant prickish run-ins actually helped the match. The crowd loathed Rush and were behind everything Maximo did. Rush plays his character stupendously great, down to a T. The match was loaded with swank little things I tend to appreciate in my pro-wrestling.

Volador/Negro was just - good. Few awkward moments. Too much of Volador Junior governing things with his generic match-structure and predictable spots and setups. This clash needed more Negro Casas and his whacky imagination. That powerbomb to the floor he took was NASTY. He's 55 yrs old, ffs!

Ultimo Guerrero vs. Cibernetico sounds intriguing, and I see it main eventing the next big show, with the hairs on the line. Or maybe Elite has bigger claims on Ciber's hair.

Paisley Park

Post by Paisley Park » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:12 am

Hot takes live from Mexico City:

H2L personal rankings: Maximo/Rush, Atomicos, Volador/Negro, match 5, match 2, opener

Sabados Retros personal rankings: Trios, Soberano/Cancerbero, Bengala/Cholo, Hombre Bala/Nitro, Tag, Halcon/Arkangel, Leono/Apocalipsis

Best Spots: H2L: Mistico's springboard, Volador's powerbomb to the floor, Maximo triple kiss, Angel de Oro's dive. Retros: Mascara Dorada's dive, Bengala's dive, Bengala and Cholo fighting over the Cholo driver, Maximo running away from a post-match rudo beatdown, yelling "se se puede!" from the crowd while Mascara Dorada was getting rammed into the ringpost, and then chasing away the rudos with a metal barrier he found next to the bathrooms.

Crowd at Arena Mexico was great, especially for Maximo/Rush, but got tired at the end. I really liked how the show was spaced.

Sabados Retros is awesome, love Arena Coliseo, love the vibe. I wish every wrestling company did something like this.

It was really great to see Maximo in two different matches, the hair match and a nothing trios match the next day, and see his full spectrum. At the Retros show he did like three moves and spent the rest of the match goofing off, and he did just as well in his role as he had done the night before.
@pkdlibre on twitter if you are so inclined.

JML

Post by JML » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:32 pm

I enjoyed the PPV a lot on Friday but unfortunately I fell asleep during Match 5 and missed the main event. And since with CMLL doesn't have VOD for the PPVs, I thought I was out of luck for the $12 I paid for the PPV.

Luckily I saw someone posted it on YouTube and I saw the main event. Like everyone has said before Casas is crazy old man for taking these bumps and I'm starting to understand why people call Volador Jr a highspot guy as this was his match through and through. You would think there would've been more hate in the match cause it's Volador Jr seeking revenge for his father losing his hair to Casas but it was what it was. Credit Casas for taking all those bumps and going at Volador Jr's speed. He's a true treasure.

Maximo vs Rush made me realize that the moment Rush loses his hair will blow the roof off of Arena Mexico. He's such a great rudo and I'm interested how CMLL will book him down the road in order for him to stay in the promotion.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:38 pm

With Elite getting this big TV deal, the money should be better for top CMLL guys and I don't think Rush is going anywhere this year.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:08 pm

It really strikes me the crowd on Friday was much louder watching the handheld versions out there.

Glad you enjoyed Sabado Retro. I loved the concept when I went but clearly it's aimed at the most hardcore of hardcore fans, hence why they don't even advertise it. It's very much a throwback show and gives you the chance to see CMLL guys work rare singles matches where they actually do stuff! That's the part I've never been able to explain. Guys like Bengala/Cholo doing matches with dives & great counters but when they randomly appear on TV in opening matches they do next to nothing. I'm not sure if they are restricted on other shows or are just more motivated working singles matches since they so rarely get the chance.

I compare Sabado Retro to EVOLVE except CMLL makes money even if only 200 fans show up. :)

cherrylimeaid

Post by cherrylimeaid » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:01 pm

Will need to watch this show everyone is talking about wherever it is available with the preview, but I had a couple questions for cubsfan that I figured I'd post here.

I've tried to follow the CMLL youtube feed to try to stay in touch with the young lions journey. Sorry but some of the stuff is really bad. I suppose the first question is what do I look for to ... stay entertained. How does one manage to see what the feuds are when everything is in 6 man tags?

Second if you were handed the books in CMLL how do you book the young lions going forward. Maybe their next 2-3 feuds?

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:10 am

Puebla was excellent tonight for the first time in quite a while. Capped off by great Caristico/Ultimo Guerrero main event in front of a jam packed crowd.

Gran Alternativa streams live tomorrow! And next Tuesday. Never thought I'd get to see a live Gran Alternativa!

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:44 am

Mil Nombres vs. Ultimo Guerrero was excellent until the super-tropey finishing stretch.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:26 am

Didn't watch the show last night, but I saw a lot of good things being said about it so I'll try to watch it today.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:57 am

Gran Alternativa Block A was pretty fun! I #nailedit predicting every single match-up & outcome. Cubsfan has blocked me on twitter I think. A glorious night!

Oh, Escorpion & FUJIN won. Raijin is screwed next Tuesday.

JML

Post by JML » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:26 pm

Last night's show moved so fast and easy to watch. Fujin getting a pin over Atlantis was unexpected. Good start to the tournament.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:24 am

Last two matches on the show tonight were so fun. Dorada and Cavenario killed it the way everyone knew they could and the main was great for how they got to cram in all the crazy spots. Mistico is the front runner for Most Improved this year.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:47 am

I'm still to watch the newest Puebla show, I just wanted to drop by and say I enjoy Fujin and Raijin immensely. They're improving rapidly and you can see they're enjoying this whacky new path of redefining themselves as wrestlers. I love their gears. Fujin especially is so awesome, I love his little dance moves when he does something cool on offense. When they lose their hairs one day, it'll be amazing.