Big Japan - The promotion of MEN

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Danwaka

Re: Big Japan - The promotion of MEN

Post by Danwaka » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Big Japan making all kinds of moves. Do they have the biggest regular roster outside of NJPW, DG and DDT?

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:31 pm

Well lets see. For this one I'm just counting contracted guys and not regular free lancers.

Big Japan: Abdullah Kobayashi, Ryuji Ito, Jaki Numazawa, Kankuro Hoshino, Takayuki Ueki, Toshiyuki Sakuda, Daisuke Sekimoto, Yuji Okabashi, Hideyoshi Kamitani, Daichi Hashimoto, Ryuichi Kawakami, Yoshihisa Uto, Yuichi Taniguchi, Kazumi Kikuta, Kazuki Hashimoto, Tatsuhiko Yoshino, Takuya Nomura, Kouta Sekifuda, Yuya Aoki, Frank Atsushi, Ryota Hama & Yasufumi Nakanoue = 22 but Taniguchi and Atsushi aren't really regular wrestlers.

All Japan: Atsushi Aoki, Yuma Aoyagi, Jun Akiyama, Koji Iwamoto, Takao Omori, Yusuke Okada, Jake Lee, Suwama, Zeus, Yohei Nakajima, Naoya Nomura, Masanobu Fuchi & Kento Miyahara = 13

Wrestle 1: Keji Muto, Kaz Hayashi, Shuji Kondo, Masayuki Kono, Hiroshi Yamato, Manabu Soya, Andy Wu, Daiki Inaba, Seiki Yoshioka, Yusuke Kodama, Jiro Kuroshio, Koji Doi, Kumagoro,Shotaro Ashino, Kohei Fujimura = 15

Noah: Taiji Ishimori, Hajime Ohara, Yoshinari Ogawa, Kaito Kiyomiya, Hitoshi Kumano, Quiet Storm, Kenoh, Atsushi Kotoge, Akitoshi Saito, Go Shiozaki, Takashi Sugiura, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Daisuke Harada, Maybach Taniguchi, Masa Kitamiya, Naomichi Marufuji, Marshall Von Erich, Muhammad Yone, Ross Von Erich = 19

So out of all the second tier promotions the only one that comes close is Noah. Also I should note that the Noah website lists Taue and Misawa as wrestlers for some reason, even though it is up to date otherwise, and I have decided to exclude them from the list.
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:45 pm

van Fair wrote:Well lets see. For this one I'm just counting contracted guys and not regular free lancers.

Big Japan: Abdullah Kobayashi, Ryuji Ito, Jaki Numazawa, Kankuro Hoshino, Takayuki Ueki, Toshiyuki Sakuda, Daisuke Sekimoto, Yuji Okabashi, Hideyoshi Kamitani, Daichi Hashimoto, Ryuichi Kawakami, Yoshihisa Uto, Yuichi Taniguchi, Kazumi Kikuta, Kazuki Hashimoto, Tatsuhiko Yoshino, Takuya Nomura, Kouta Sekifuda, Yuya Aoki, Frank Atsushi, Ryota Hama & Yasufumi Nakanoue = 22 but Taniguchi and Atsushi aren't really regular wrestlers.

All Japan: Atsushi Aoki, Yuma Aoyagi, Jun Akiyama, Koji Iwamoto, Takao Omori, Yusuke Okada, Jake Lee, Suwama, Zeus, Yohei Nakajima, Naoya Nomura, Masanobu Fuchi & Kento Miyahara = 13

Wrestle 1: Keji Muto, Kaz Hayashi, Shuji Kondo, Masayuki Kono, Hiroshi Yamato, Manabu Soya, Andy Wu, Daiki Inaba, Seiki Yoshioka, Yusuke Kodama, Jiro Kuroshio, Koji Doi, Kumagoro,Shotaro Ashino, Kohei Fujimura = 15

Noah: Taiji Ishimori, Hajime Ohara, Yoshinari Ogawa, Kaito Kiyomiya, Hitoshi Kumano, Quiet Storm, Kenoh, Atsushi Kotoge, Akitoshi Saito, Go Shiozaki, Takashi Sugiura, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Daisuke Harada, Maybach Taniguchi, Masa Kitamiya, Naomichi Marufuji, Marshall Von Erich, Muhammad Yone, Ross Von Erich = 19

So out of all the second tier promotions the only one that comes close is Noah. Also I should note that the Noah website lists Taue and Misawa as wrestlers for some reason, even though it is up to date otherwise, and I have decided to exclude them from the list.
The Von Erich's do not have contracts to NOAH so you can take it down to 17

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:20 am

The Sumo Hall card is weird. I have no feel for the DM scene so I have no idea if that's a good main event or not. But Strong BJ being lumped in with Abby/Ito is a waste I think, and I don't buy Kawakami as a credible challenger for Hideki at all.

It'll probably draw great and I'm hardly their target audience so I doubt they care, haha.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Alan4L wrote:The Sumo Hall card is weird. I have no feel for the DM scene so I have no idea if that's a good main event or not. But Strong BJ being lumped in with Abby/Ito is a waste I think, and I don't buy Kawakami as a credible challenger for Hideki at all.

It'll probably draw great and I'm hardly their target audience so I doubt they care, haha.
The 4 biggest acts the company has under contract involved in the tag title match is weird?
This card is built around elevating the younger talent. Ueki and Takayashi are the guys the future deathmatch scene will be built on, and the company is showing faith in them and it paid off, since the paying fans voted to have them in the main event (had they announced the tag title match before hand that might have won but they did not).

Suzuki is there to build up the strong scene's youngsters as well.

The entire card is built around elevating youth

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:15 am

Like I said, I have no feel for the DM stuff. I’m talking purely for me and my tastes it’s a weird card. I have a morbid curiosity in the Daisuke/Okapi vs Ito/Abby match but I’m not expecting it to be particularly good. Just giving my opinion on why it’s weird to me.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:03 pm

I'm not a DM obsessive but I'm very impressed by the main event of this card. Not many Japanese companies are willing to hand the keys to young wrestlers and tell them to do what they do best. And that reflects up and down the card. Yeah, its not exactly a super card of in-ring work, but if you want to continue growing your company and drawing and not wind up in a Noah situation with no stars, you need cards like this.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:30 am

armsofsleep wrote:I'm not a DM obsessive but I'm very impressed by the main event of this card. Not many Japanese companies are willing to hand the keys to young wrestlers and tell them to do what they do best. And that reflects up and down the card. Yeah, its not exactly a super card of in-ring work, but if you want to continue growing your company and drawing and not wind up in a Noah situation with no stars, you need cards like this.
well where I disagree is that the only young talent I see in that position outside the deathmatches is Kawakami and he has just not been impressive.

Why aren't Strong BJ facing young guys? Their match is the total antithesis of what you're saying. It should be them against a combo of Hashimoto, Kamitani, Nakanoue and Uto I think.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Alan4L wrote:
armsofsleep wrote:I'm not a DM obsessive but I'm very impressed by the main event of this card. Not many Japanese companies are willing to hand the keys to young wrestlers and tell them to do what they do best. And that reflects up and down the card. Yeah, its not exactly a super card of in-ring work, but if you want to continue growing your company and drawing and not wind up in a Noah situation with no stars, you need cards like this.
well where I disagree is that the only young talent I see in that position outside the deathmatches is Kawakami and he has just not been impressive.

Why aren't Strong BJ facing young guys? Their match is the total antithesis of what you're saying. It should be them against a combo of Hashimoto, Kamitani, Nakanoue and Uto I think.
You're right on that point. That Strong BJ match only makes sense if they're doing a title change (or REALLY needed it to draw).

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Loved the finish of Suzuki-Kawakami and the little bit after the bell. Once Hideki was done playing around, he decimated him.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:58 pm

it was a nice little match and I liked the story of Kawakami being a "tough nut to crack" so to speak. But for the Strong title match at Sumo Hall I had hoped for alot more. Post-match was fantastic though. Hideki's reactions to that kind of thing are so unique. I love him!

Strong BJ match was a total waste of their talent for me. Being dragged down to the level of their joke opponents (sorry if that offends) was sad to see on such a stage.

Cabel

Post by Cabel » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Enjoyed the show overall. I thought the top three matches were good to great, even though I'm not much of a death match guy. But just to be sure I didn't imagine it, did Ueki really pull a gun on Takahashi in the main event?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Just read the review, was intrigued to learn that Takahashi was their deathmatch champion (I only follow the strong stuff). Last I remembered he was in Asuka Project after WNC fell apart. Can anyone tell me how he made his way to BJW?

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:13 pm

The tag tournament lineup especially the teams in strong block looks awesome.

★ DEATH BLOCK ★

~ Masashi Takeda & Takumi Tsukamoto
~ Abdullah Kobayashi & Ryuji Ito
~ Jaki Numazawa & Kenji Fukimoto
~ Yuko Miyamoto & Isami Kodaka
~ Minoru Fujita & Kankuro Hoshino
~ Masaya Takahashi & Takayuki Ueki

★ STRONG BLOCK ★

~ Hideki Suzuki & Shogun Okamoto
~ Daisuke Sekimoto & Kohei Sato
~ Shingo Takagi & Yuji Okabayashi
~ Ryota Hama & Yasufumi Nakanoue
~ Daichi Hashimoto & Hideyoshi Kamitani
~ Ryuichi Kawakami & Yoshihisa Uto
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:11 pm

I don't watch BJ regularly but holy Christ on a stick that Shingo Okabayashi team gets me ridiculously excited