King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
pol

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by pol » Thu May 26, 2016 11:51 am

Don't think STRIGGA has said anything about this publicly but on the latest Bauer & Pollock, Court said that he got word that AJPW is launching a streaming service soon.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Thu May 26, 2016 11:54 am

Irving

Post by Irving » Thu May 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Well my opinion seems to mirror everyone else that the product has been exciting and the numbers are up. While Korakuen isn't a sellout they have dramatically increased attendances and there is an upside to the promotion with lots of positives. From running Oudou Love/Shining Road to keeping up with the product today I would say Muto presented the product in a much more grand fashion but I don't think there's ever really been this much positivity on the product and a true grass roots style fanbase as it is now. All the talent that's left and it's the indies and young players keeping this thing going its just phenomenal.

pol

Post by pol » Thu May 26, 2016 8:31 pm

The next Korakuen will be a test. It's unlikely to have as much drawing power as the last two, especially if they don't run a title match (and they shouldn't, imo). If they can stay above 1000 that would be a great sign.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Thu May 26, 2016 8:59 pm

pol wrote:The next Korakuen will be a test. It's unlikely to have as much drawing power as the last two, especially if they don't run a title match (and they shouldn't, imo). If they can stay above 1000 that would be a great sign.
The card can still be built decently to be fair, even without a possible title match. The talent is there, and the connection with the crowd seems to be there now. It probably wouldn't outdraw the show yesterday, but slot in over 1K at least with the right card. Granted I think they should run Strong BJ vs Big Guns on the next Korakuen hall. Been a while since we got a tag defense. And assuming BJ wins, it gives them a bit of a solid reign length wise leading into New Explosion.

As for the TC defense. I think they want to give Kento a fair few defenses before New Explosion, so getting Kengo out of the way so they can focus the summer around Sai and Ishikawa, possibly Fujita before we get the built towards Suwama in Sumo hall makes sense to me.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu May 26, 2016 9:28 pm

Wasn't there talk of a steaming service a few months ago, but it turned out to be Japan only? Did that ever get off the ground? Hopefully this new talk is something we can all take advantage of. Obviously something with a decent archive would be huge.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Thu May 26, 2016 9:41 pm

Nah, international fans? What is that?

pol

Post by pol » Thu May 26, 2016 10:19 pm

I honestly thought Strong BJ vs. BIG GUNS would be something they'd sit on until Ryogoku, but I guess if they're teasing it already maybe not... I don't think it will be as soon as the next Korakuen though.

Irving

Post by Irving » Thu May 26, 2016 11:03 pm

I'd have Strong BJ go over at Korakuen in the main and drop them back at Sumo Hall. The tag titles were a decent draw last summer for All Japan so that should be brought back into focus.

Joe Doering says he wants to second Suwama in Sumo Hall.

pol

Post by pol » Sat May 28, 2016 12:46 pm

oh nobody posted the 6/15 Korakuen lineup yet

Kento Miyahara vs. Kengo Mashimo for the Triple Crown
Zeus/Bodyguard vs. Daisuke Sekimoto/Yuji Okabayashi for the World Tag titles
Ryoji Sai/Jake Lee vs. Shuji Ishikawa/Masashi Takeda
Jun Akiyama/Yuma Aoyagi vs. Konosuke Takeshita/Tetsuya Endo

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Sat May 28, 2016 12:47 pm

pol wrote:oh nobody posted the 6/15 Korakuen lineup yet

Kento Miyahara vs. Kengo Mashimo for the Triple Crown
Zeus/Bodyguard vs. Daisuke Sekimoto/Yuji Okabayashi for the World Tag titles
Ryoji Sai/Jake Lee vs. Shuji Ishikawa/Masashi Takeda
Jun Akiyama/Yuma Aoyagi vs. Konosuke Takeshita/Tetsuya Endo

WOW. the card looks really good.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat May 28, 2016 9:28 pm

They're really going all out in Korakuen lately.

I'm not complaining. This looks super fun.

pol

Post by pol » Sat May 28, 2016 9:39 pm

I'm a little bit worried about them both running through shit too fast and damaging the value of title defenses, but I guess there's an argument to be made for striking while the iron is hot and trying to capitalise on and maximise the little bit of buzz they have going right now. Plus they probably want to get a few defenses on Kento before starting the build to Ryogoku, and this is their only Korakuen date until 7/14 which I assume will be main evented by Suwama's return match.

This has to be the shortest ever interval between TC defenses, right?

jesse

Post by jesse » Sat May 28, 2016 9:54 pm

Keep in mind that Korakuen is closing for a bit to do some earthquake updates so perhaps they can't space out the shows like they would want.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

pol

Post by pol » Sat May 28, 2016 10:12 pm

Still both of those top matches could be split up and viably main event on their own in Korakuen or Osaka or some smaller market. But doing a good Korakuen house is good for optics and buzz and maybe that makes it worth it.