NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
sivapc

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by sivapc » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:45 am

Main page is really a Kenny Omega lovefest these days

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:16 am

Glad Elgin got signed. New Japan is a perfect fit for him. He has connected there unlike anywhere else he has wrestled. His match with Ishii was one of my favorites of last year. Looking forward to him and Tana as a regular tag team and for more singles matches. Bring on Elgin vs Shibata.

strikamura

Post by strikamura » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:22 pm

sivapc wrote:Main page is really a Kenny Omega lovefest these days
Yeah, enthusiasm is just the worst.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:10 pm

Not a fan of Elgin.

And as for draw power...it's really the brand that draws or at least Tanahashi and Okada and at a minor level.

Nobody really is the draw Shinya or Mutoh was or even Inoki pre 90's era in Japan.

rollup

Post by rollup » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:17 am

new japan cup brackets are out

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:18 am

interesting day. first the Ibushi news. and now this, hm....

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:22 am

Imagine the scenes when Shiraishi is appointed president

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:58 pm

saviorofstrongstyle wrote:interesting day. first the Ibushi news. and now this, hm....
So what's the story behind this?

SenorLARIATO

Post by SenorLARIATO » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:08 pm

DXvsNWO wrote:
saviorofstrongstyle wrote:interesting day. first the Ibushi news. and now this, hm....
He was appointed to steer the ship during NJPW's "recovery period", but now the promotion's on sound financial footing they're restructuring. Obviously replacing the president seemed a bit dramatic in the wake of so many guys leaving and the Ibushi news, but it sounds more like a corporate reshuffling than anything major.

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:21 pm

How long before Goto snaps and goes after Shibata for all those vicious kicks to the back over the last few shows?

I'm giving him 2-3 months tops.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:25 pm

sivapc wrote:Main page is really a Kenny Omega lovefest these days
He was a huge story this week, won a major title in New Japan on their big show of the month and was generating tons of interest. :lol:

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:25 pm

SenorLARIATO wrote:
DXvsNWO wrote:
He was appointed to steer the ship during NJPW's "recovery period", but now the promotion's on sound financial footing they're restructuring. Obviously replacing the president seemed a bit dramatic in the wake of so many guys leaving and the Ibushi news, but it sounds more like a corporate reshuffling than anything major.
That's how I've read it to. From what I've seen, the new guy (name escapes me right now) is ready to go and has been basically waiting for this to happen for awhile now.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:38 am

More insight on Elgin from the Observer:
Michael Elgin signed a two-year-deal here which, this deal and the proposed five-year deal with Kazuchika Okada (which hasn’t been signed) are based on the loss of A.J. Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura, Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows to WWE. The company realizes now that WWE is into signing as much top talent as possible, even if it means stockpiling the talent. New Japan had traditionally done one-year deals because that’s what they always did since the beginning of time. Elgin had not been under contract there previously. This means Elgin will be on almost every tour as a regular, and would work indies, as well as for ROH and PWG, only between tours. It’ll mean less ROH dates this year. WWE and TNA had contact with him over the past several months. TNA had interest but he was looking for either a WWE or New Japan deal. WWE had at one point several months ago wanted him to appear at NXT in a similar role as Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa, doing TV as a tryout for a deal. He was also offered spots in camps, including a very select camp they are doing in a few weeks, but everything they offered coincided with dates in Japan he’d agreed to. For New Japan in a sense, Elgin from a contract situation would be replacing Karl Anderson’s contract.
New Japan HATING TNA never gets old.

Karl Anderson's contract was Giant Bernard's contract which was the top gaijin contract. I hope Mike got a deal like that. Sean Radican of PWTorch said that the deal came together pretty quickly and easily so Mike might have.

JML

Post by JML » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:50 pm

I'm happy for Mike if he got the top gaijin contract cause now he's a got a family to feed and can support them pretty well. I can see him being like what Scott Norton was in the 90s and early 2000s for New Japan.

cpgoat3

Post by cpgoat3 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:54 am

So I have recently fully emerged myself into NJPW. I started watching last year around WK9 and was a casual fan. This year I have really been using the NJ World account to go back and watch some random classic stuff. Most recently I have been watching everything from 2014 that caught my interest, including the fantastic G1 tournament. Wondering what long time NJPW viewers consider to be the heyday of NJPW for someone to watch?