NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri May 06, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm watching Dragon Gate Dead or Alive right now and really want it to be a focus of our next show because we've been ignoring or pushing Dragon Gate to the side for too long.

(Our semi-annual apology for not paying more attention to Dragon Gate)

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Fri May 06, 2016 4:16 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:I'm watching Dragon Gate Dead or Alive right now and really want it to be a focus of our next show because we've been ignoring or pushing Dragon Gate to the side for too long.

(Our semi-annual apology for not paying more attention to Dragon Gate)

I'm watching Dead or Alive as well. I'm only 32 minutes into the show and CIMA interacting with children is already the greatest thing ever.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri May 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Honestly, my prediction is that BOSJ is going to be a more consistently good tournament than the G1, but G1 will have higher highs and lower lows so everybody will ultimately end up remembering the latter as the better tournament. But this year's BOSJ is going to be very very good, and I thought last year's was a lot of fun. Cannot fucking wait.

Also: I really want to see Captain New Japan vs Naito. I think Naito worked me.

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Sat May 07, 2016 8:57 pm

I looked up the schedule of this tournament and I'm like 90 % sure that the final is going to be Kyle vs Ospreay. Ricochet and Sydal, who I also considered credible contenders, are matched againist bucks last night so they are probably going to lose to them so we can have ricochet and sydal vs bucks for dominion. Another interesting thing is that roh and njpw decided to do kyle vs kushida twice in a single month, which seems like the most stupid thing to do, because it's one of those big junior matches (and for quite a lot of time there weren't many of them, now with ospreay and ricochet joining it seems like a much better situation) that I think should probably be saved for either new york baseball stadium show or jr title match at dominion or wrestlekingdom. Especially with the fact that it can go to 3 in 2 months, if Kyle wins the whole one. I know that they have a great chemistry and they are probably going to make all of them special, but still I hope it won't booked like hero vs sabre, fenix vs pentagon or ospreay vs scurll which are all fantastic feuds but they kinda lose their magic, because they are booked so many times (for dvd, ippvs, ppvs, tvs, on demands or whatever) in a short amount of time.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sat May 07, 2016 9:25 pm

elloziom wrote:I looked up the schedule of this tournament and I'm like 90 % sure that the final is going to be Kyle vs Ospreay. Ricochet and Sydal, who I also considered credible contenders, are matched againist bucks last night so they are probably going to lose to them so we can have ricochet and sydal vs bucks for dominion. Another interesting thing is that roh and njpw decided to do kyle vs kushida twice in a single month, which seems like the most stupid thing to do, because it's one of those big junior matches (and for quite a lot of time there weren't many of them, now with ospreay and ricochet joining it seems like a much better situation) that I think should probably be saved for either new york baseball stadium show or jr title match at dominion or wrestlekingdom. Especially with the fact that it can go to 3 in 2 months, if Kyle wins the whole one. I know that they have a great chemistry and they are probably going to make all of them special, but still I hope it won't booked like hero vs sabre, fenix vs pentagon or ospreay vs scurll which are all fantastic feuds but they kinda lose their magic, because they are booked so many times (for dvd, ippvs, ppvs, tvs, on demands or whatever) in a short amount of time.
So you don't think BUSHI is a credible contender then? The fact that BUSHI faces off with KUSHIDA on the final night, gives me the feeling that he will be facing Ospreay in the finals. Plus a BUSHI vs Ospreay finals ties into the Los Ingobernables de Japon vs CHAOS feud, which is the prime storyline in NJPW at the moment. Of course I could be easily be proved wrong- as there are around half a dozen credible contenders this year (KUSHIDA, Ospreay, BUSHI, Ricochet, O'Reilly, Sydal and you could maybe throw in Liger as a long shot),that's the beauty of this years tournament compared to last years which had a choice of either being very predictable (KUSHIDA winning) or very illogical (anybody else winning).

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Sat May 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Tigerkinney wrote:
elloziom wrote:I looked up the schedule of this tournament and I'm like 90 % sure that the final is going to be Kyle vs Ospreay. Ricochet and Sydal, who I also considered credible contenders, are matched againist bucks last night so they are probably going to lose to them so we can have ricochet and sydal vs bucks for dominion. Another interesting thing is that roh and njpw decided to do kyle vs kushida twice in a single month, which seems like the most stupid thing to do, because it's one of those big junior matches (and for quite a lot of time there weren't many of them, now with ospreay and ricochet joining it seems like a much better situation) that I think should probably be saved for either new york baseball stadium show or jr title match at dominion or wrestlekingdom. Especially with the fact that it can go to 3 in 2 months, if Kyle wins the whole one. I know that they have a great chemistry and they are probably going to make all of them special, but still I hope it won't booked like hero vs sabre, fenix vs pentagon or ospreay vs scurll which are all fantastic feuds but they kinda lose their magic, because they are booked so many times (for dvd, ippvs, ppvs, tvs, on demands or whatever) in a short amount of time.
So you don't think BUSHI is a credible contender then? The fact that BUSHI faces off with KUSHIDA on the final night, gives me the feeling that he will be facing Ospreay in the finals. Plus a BUSHI vs Ospreay finals ties into the Los Ingobernables de Japon vs CHAOS feud, which is the prime storyline in NJPW at the moment. Of course I could be easily be proved wrong- as there are around half a dozen credible contenders this year (KUSHIDA, Ospreay, BUSHI, Ricochet, O'Reilly, Sydal and you could maybe throw in Liger as a long shot),that's the beauty of this years tournament compared to last years which had a choice of either being very predictable (KUSHIDA winning) or very illogical (anybody else winning).
I actually haven't thought of Bushi, mostly due to the fact that he doesn't seem as suitable for this position. I mean he is an option, but I don't consider him as good as those 4 guys that I mentioned. I get the fact that it would probably make a lot of storyline sense, but in my opinion taking a lot of titles into one storyline (more than two without a unification match) actually diminishes them a little bit, because the hw or ic always outshines the rest of them(for example bc taking all the titles or most of them in 2014 or any tna faction storyline).

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Sun May 08, 2016 1:18 am

I see these blocks, and while there are some plausibles, I really can't imagine Will Ospraey not taking the thing.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Sun May 08, 2016 5:36 am

Y'all have me rooting for Volador to beat Ospreay on the final day to knock him out of first place so hard.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun May 08, 2016 1:26 pm

Tigerkinney wrote:
So you don't think BUSHI is a credible contender then? The fact that BUSHI faces off with KUSHIDA on the final night, gives me the feeling that he will be facing Ospreay in the finals. Plus a BUSHI vs Ospreay finals ties into the Los Ingobernables de Japon vs CHAOS feud, which is the prime storyline in NJPW at the moment.
This is an excellent point. I wouldn't have thought of BUSHI as being a credible contender but the way you lay it out here makes a ton of sense (and NJPW's booking is nothing if not logical). Getting those two to the finals would be a great way to re-establish them as viable parts of the junior division even though they've both taken losses to KUSHIDA earlier this year. Plus BUSHI vs. Ospreay could be a really great match. I think BUSHI has become somewhat overlooked because he's largely been the junior fall guy for Los Ingobernables this year, but he's a great talent who could really shine in this tournament if he's given the opportunity. I was leaning toward O'Reilly winning that A Block but now you've convinced me otherwise.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon May 09, 2016 5:37 am

thecubsfan wrote:Y'all have me rooting for Volador to beat Ospreay on the final day to knock him out of first place so hard.
Speaking of Volador, I know people think he's spotty (because, well, he is), but I think his style is tailor made for the 8 minute matches he'll be working on this tour, plus all of the 8-man tags he'll be involved in on his non tournament days. Really looking forward to his stuff.

This tournament has a real eclectic group of juniors. Flyers, grapplers, veterans, tag dudes out of their element, big stars... I really like this field.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Mon May 09, 2016 6:48 am

Volador is 40% shit, 30% mediocre, 20% good and 10% great, he's the poster boy of CMLL's modern by-the-numbers style. He's the among the worst CMLL guys who get the luxury of having big mano-a-mano matches. I even enjoy Mephisto and La Mascara more than him.

That being said, he's gonna kill it in the BOSJ because his style is a perfect fit for one-fall sprints and he'll work differently over there.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Mon May 09, 2016 7:20 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
thecubsfan wrote:Y'all have me rooting for Volador to beat Ospreay on the final day to knock him out of first place so hard.
Speaking of Volador, I know people think he's spotty (because, well, he is), but I think his style is tailor made for the 8 minute matches he'll be working on this tour, plus all of the 8-man tags he'll be involved in on his non tournament days. Really looking forward to his stuff.

This tournament has a real eclectic group of juniors. Flyers, grapplers, veterans, tag dudes out of their element, big stars... I really like this field.

How far do you think Sydal or Ricochet will go ?
Lanza is a geek.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon May 09, 2016 7:24 am

ayaashm wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:

Whoever said they'll each gt knocked out on the last day by the Bucks is right. Perfect story.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Mon May 09, 2016 7:28 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
ayaashm wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:

Whoever said they'll each gt knocked out on the last day by the Bucks is right. Perfect story.

Is the new BC member gonna be in G1? I kinda hope he is, also, I want him to move away from ROH for a while. He's told all his stories except for the one against Lethal. What's your take on him and his direction moving forward in ROH?
Lanza is a geek.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon May 09, 2016 7:31 am

They've wanted to do something with him since 2014 but it always falls through. I've heard a few of the outsider names for G1, and his has not been one of them.