NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
dancecab

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by dancecab » Tue May 17, 2016 5:28 am

I'm in the middle of watching super j cup 2009 for the first time. And holy shit Gedo vs. Ibushi is the best Gedo match I've ever seen. I would easily go 4.5 stars. It was so fucking great. The crowd was sooo behind Ibushi after all of Gedos bullshit and they legitimately bought into each and every false finish. Plus the cray dive spots. It's amazing Ibushi can still walk today much less wrestle. Holy shit that match was amaze balls. I have to say this is getting me really excited about best of super juniors and super j cup.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue May 17, 2016 5:34 am

dancecab wrote:I'm in the middle of watching super j cup 2009 for the first time. And holy shit Gedo vs. Ibushi is the best Gedo match I've ever seen. I would easily go 4.5 stars. It was so fucking great. The crowd was sooo behind Ibushi after all of Gedos bullshit and they legitimately bought into each and every false finish. Plus the cray dive spots. It's amazing Ibushi can still walk today much less wrestle. Holy shit that match was amaze balls. I have to say this is getting me really excited about best of super juniors and super j cup.
Gedo is one of the most underrated wrestlers of all time. Aside from being one of the best tag workers ever, even well into his 40's and barely more than a part timer and pin eater, he still manages to put in a couple of high level singles performances every year.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:26 pm

Joe nailed it on Gedo. Quietly had an amazing 25+ year career. Throughout the early to mid 90s, he was an elite worker in both tags and singles.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue May 17, 2016 6:26 pm

Honestly, very happy I heard Lanza put him over strong back in the day because I wasn't following the jrs that closely and then I started paying closer attention. Gedo is always fun to watch. Since then I've been like "fuck yes GEDO!" and people kind of go "huh?" and I always demand they start fucking paying attention. He's content on not shining anymore, in the role of the hypeman but dude is definitely very good.

I legitimately loved the match he had against Liger in last year's BOSJ. It was a very simple match, but such good heel work from Gedo it just became this intense little bout.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue May 17, 2016 6:35 pm

This is the time of year when everyone seems to remember just how good he is. He always brings the A game during BoSJ season and has a few matches that even those who think he's great are floored by. I can't wait to see him this year against someone like KUSHIDA.

(Really pissed we won't get Gedo vs. Will Ospreay, that sounds like the greatest thing ever)

wac

Post by wac » Tue May 17, 2016 7:37 pm

The Gedo/Jay White interactions in that Dontaku eight man tag had some real juice.

wac

Post by wac » Tue May 17, 2016 7:40 pm

dancecab wrote:I'm in the middle of watching super j cup 2009 for the first time. And holy shit Gedo vs. Ibushi is the best Gedo match I've ever seen. I would easily go 4.5 stars. It was so fucking great. The crowd was sooo behind Ibushi after all of Gedos bullshit and they legitimately bought into each and every false finish. Plus the cray dive spots. It's amazing Ibushi can still walk today much less wrestle. Holy shit that match was amaze balls. I have to say this is getting me really excited about best of super juniors and super j cup.
Is this on NJPW World?

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue May 17, 2016 8:05 pm

wac wrote:
Is this on NJPW World?
Nope. It's on the Rudo Reels This is J Blu-Ray. Really really good quality. I might have overrated it's about a 4. But I still loved it alot. :lol:

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Wed May 18, 2016 10:45 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote:This is the time of year when everyone seems to remember just how good he is. He always brings the A game during BoSJ season and has a few matches that even those who think he's great are floored by. I can't wait to see him this year against someone like KUSHIDA.

(Really pissed we won't get Gedo vs. Will Ospreay, that sounds like the greatest thing ever)
did you not see the match with KUSHIDA from earlier this year? It was a blinder of a 10 minute match - so good!

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed May 18, 2016 2:18 pm

Welp:

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed May 18, 2016 5:00 pm

Relatively speaking the knee is no big deal, he just needs to bite the bullet at some point and get the surgery. There's probably dozens of high profile people working on torn up knees.

The back is a major concern.

I do wonder how much of this played into his decision making. Doesn't sound like he'd pass a WWE physical.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Wed May 18, 2016 5:10 pm

Yeah that doesn't sound good at all. If he already has severe problems like that at 23 it's not going to get better. Unless he changes his style so that it takes way less of a toll on his body.
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed May 18, 2016 5:13 pm

The next Amazing Red maybe.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed May 18, 2016 5:22 pm

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed May 18, 2016 6:50 pm

van Fair wrote:Yeah that doesn't sound good at all. If he already has severe problems like that at 23 it's not going to get better. Unless he changes his style so that it takes way less of a toll on his body.
This is usually the life cycle of a big flyer. By the time they got their late 20's, they tend to tone down. We did a study of the Best Flying Wrestler WON award a few years back and it skews the youngest of any award. Sound like common sense, and it is, but once you gain your rep you can eliminate your crazier shit and people hardly notice. Look at Ricochet. Watch his stuff from like 2009 compared to now. The Benadryller is a direct result of this. Look at the TJP match in Dallas and how he carefully picks his spots in LU. The Ospreay Dallas match used to BE his match.