NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Danwaka

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Danwaka » Fri May 20, 2016 3:50 am

jesse wrote:
Danwaka wrote:What are the Taichi/TAKA shows called?
They're just called Taichi and TAKA box office or something of that sort. The last show ended up on New Japan World. It's a shock that TAKA hasn't worked something out to get K-Dojo on World. :lol:
Is he still involved with K-Dojo? Given he was with NJPW for a while, I figured he moved on like those ex-Osaka guys who went to NOAH.

jesse

Post by jesse » Fri May 20, 2016 4:37 am

Danwaka wrote:Is he still involved with K-Dojo? Given he was with NJPW for a while, I figured he moved on like those ex-Osaka guys who went to NOAH.
Yep. Still the owner of K-Dojo. TAKA is a hard working man.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Stavros

Post by Stavros » Fri May 20, 2016 11:27 am

Did the BoSJ picks contest with very much that Audio Nightmare instinct first, booking second approach. Weirdly expecting a big showing for Bobby Fish off the back of his win over Ishii, taking him to the final vs BUSHI. Tight top end on the B group.

Gonna do badly but it'll be fun. Thanks for running it guys.

Edit- classic first post/wrong place combo

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sat May 21, 2016 12:45 pm

This is a great event, they're off to good start with the Best of the Super Juniors. Them setting up Kojima versus Ishii looks like a lot of fun. My only gripe is that CHAOS and LIdJ fight so much that it's going on WWE levels of redundancy.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Sat May 21, 2016 12:53 pm

My 2 picks lost today. Really fun show.Excellent main event. ****1/2
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Sat May 21, 2016 6:19 pm

KUSHIDA and O'Reilly were made to wrestle each other, wouldn't be surprised if 5 years down the line their rivalry is considered like the junior version of Tanahashi-Okada

a7xweeman

Post by a7xweeman » Sat May 21, 2016 6:33 pm

O'Reilly vs. KUSHIDA may just be my new MOTY, for me it is *****, an amazing bout.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Sat May 21, 2016 9:22 pm

I had it at four and a half but O'Reilly's promo and the crowd bumped it up to four and three quarters. The rest of the show was good, nice easy watch. Didn't care for BUSHI/Gedo like everyone else but I don't care for Gedo. However, I did love Taguchi/Sydal, Taguchi is to me what Gedo is to everyone else it seems.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun May 22, 2016 3:26 am

KUSHIDA/O'Reilly was incredible. It was like the entire match was what the typical hot closing stretch of a major New Japan bout would be, with just a relentless series of counters and reversals. That spot where KUSHIDA jumped out of the chair to catch O'Reilly in a submission hold in midair has possibly replaced the no-hands handspring from the Ospreay/KUSHIDA match as my favorite highspot of the year. Whether O'Reilly wins the tournament or not I hope this sets him up for a title match with KUSHIDA sometime later this year because I love watching them wrestle each other.

I was really surprised by Taguchi/Sydal. I like Taguchi's undercard comedy act more than most people do, but he's been doing that for so long that I tend to forget that he's a very good worker as well. While I'm a big fan of Sydal this match seemed on paper like it would be a throwaway but it really delivered. It's also one of those matches that became unexpectedly dramatic with Taguchi getting the nasty cut party way through.

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Sun May 22, 2016 4:22 pm

Does anybody know when the samurai tv bosj shows are going to be uploaded to njpw world?

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sun May 22, 2016 7:02 pm

elloziom wrote:Does anybody know when the samurai tv bosj shows are going to be uploaded to njpw world?
They say 'Next Day Delivery' on the NJPW World schedule- so I would guess that today's show would be posted up sometime tomorrow.

I will go along with the sentiment that Day 1 was an excellent start to the tournament, with all of the tournament matches being at least three star plus in quality, with a MOTYC in the main event. I must admit I cussed in orgasmic excitement at that leaping arm-bar counter off the chair spot KUSHIDA pulled off- I love stuff like that in wrestling- it's almost as thrilling as an 'edging' session with a really hot girl.

The BOSJ always tends to deliver in Korakuen though, the real test of whether or not we get a great BOSJ is we get consistently good matches across the entire tournament in high school gym venues with basketball hoops out in places like Yamagata and Tottori.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Mon May 23, 2016 12:59 pm

Decent night 2 action, not good at rating with stars so I'll just rank them instead:

4. Ricochet vs. Tiger Mask: Match with a steady pace that picked up about mid-way. Ricochet's flying and Tiger's kicks and more powerful offense were fun and I wish there was more of it. Not bad.
3. Barretta vs. Volador Jr.: Like RicoTiger, a steady match that picked up after Volador ripped his pants off about mid-way. I got to see Volador the spot monkey in a singles match and he was amazing. Him Baretta gave more aerial offense than RicoTiger but three times on the outside was a bit much.
2. Bobby Fish vs. Jushin Thunder Liger: The match was awesome, Bobby Fish was damn good in this match and I think he just made me a fan of his. Him and Liger have such good chemistry it's unreal, I loved how they tried to goad eachother into running the ropes. The ONLY bad part was Liger's shenanigans pin only for the fact that the ref really should have saw that from his vantage point. I hate to be that guy, but it took me out of the match.
1. Chase Owens vs. Will Ospreay: This spot belonged to LigerFish if not for the (IMO) botched ending, but Owenspray was solid match bell to bell that I enjoyed as well. This the best New Japan match I seen Owens have in the company with someone other than Liger and a lot of it has to do with the caliber performer Will Ospreay is. Will owned Chase for the most of it, but that crazy sell for the Pakage Piledriver made Chase look like a million bucks. Chase, on the other hand, sold Will's offense well enough and kept up with his offense pretty well. If this is Owens' last tour with New Japan (lot less NWA stuff lately), the he and Ospray for that matter are off to a good start.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Mon May 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Echo everyone's sentiment on KUSHIDA v. O'Reilly. Fantastic match. KUSHIDA has has such a great 2016 so far, he'll undoubtedly be in the best wrestler conversation at the end of the year.

Gedo and Taguchi dusting off the working boots in their respective matches was a real treat and put the show over the top. Solid thumbs up.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Mon May 23, 2016 11:47 pm

You've got to assume Ospreay is pretty much a lock for the B Block, could be Ricochet but I doubt it. We'll find out on day 6 I think with whoever wins their match.

On the other hand I think there's 3 potential winners for the A Block in KUSHIDA, O'Reilly, and BUSHI. Since KUSHIDA and BUSHI have both already taken two losses it means they can only max out now at 10 points and going into their match on the final day, can only be on 8 each. KUSHIDA and BUSHI won't be taking any more losses on the way to the final day, that would mean one of them ends up on 6 and with Finlay taking 7 losses there are too many points going around in the A Block for either of these two guys to only get 6. What's important about this is it means BUSHI is getting a win against O'Reilly on day 5. If we're assuming they're going into the final day on 8 points then you've also got to assume O'Reilly will be going in on 8 or 10 to keep the options open.

For KUSHIDA to win:
O'Reilly has to be going into the last day on 8 maximum. He would need O'Reilly to lose earlier in the night to Rocky and then he'd need to beat BUSHI in the main event. I think this is unlikely, Rocky has already picked up a surprising win over KUSHIDA so I can't see him also knocking off O'Reilly but hey anything is possible.

For BUSHI to win:
Kyle can be on 8 or 10 going into the final day, BUSHI has options either way. If Kyle is on 10 then he needs to lose to Rocky earlier on (again, this is unlikely as Rocky has already gotten a big win on KUSHIDA) and then win his match in the main event. This is under the pretty safe assumption that BUSHI has a win over O'Reilly on Day 5. In the other scenario where Kyle comes in at 8 points, if he beats Rocky earlier it means it comes down to BUSHI and O'Reilly, if he loses to Rocky it means it comes down to BUSHI and KUSHIDA. Either way if he beats KUSHIDA he wins the block.

For O'Reilly to win:
Kyle is in the best spot to win as of right now. If he goes in on 10 points he only needs to win or draw against Rocky to win the block. In the more likely scenario where he's on 8 points he needs to beat Rocky and then he's reliant on KUSHDA to play spoiler for BUSHI. I originally picked BUSHI to win the A Block but I'm thinking this situation where KUSHIDA wins the main event against BUSHI to give Kyle the block is more likely right now. I definitely think it's down to BUSHI or Kyle though whatever the case. Although, there is another option for the A Block winner...

For Taguchi to win:
Serious wrestler Taguchi has already picked up 2 wins, all he needs is another 5 and he's got a perfect win streak in his block. The dream is still alive folks. #PushTaguchi2016
Last edited by mrjoshdude on Wed May 25, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue May 24, 2016 2:23 pm

BOSJ Pick'Em Standings have been updated: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/forum/ ... 615#p26615