NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Frank Olson

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:27 am

If Naito does retain the title at Dominion will it make any sense for his character to enter the G1? A big part of his character is his laziness, so if he's the champion come G1 time I just wonder what his character's motivation for being involved in the tournament would even be.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:49 am

Frank Olson wrote:If Naito does retain the title at Dominion will it make any sense for his character to enter the G1? A big part of his character is his laziness, so if he's the champion come G1 time I just wonder what his character's motivation for being involved in the tournament would even be.
To make sure no one gets a guaranteed shot?

I agree with you about his character sitting out, but he'd be a huge loss if not in so I assume they'll say something along those lines.

wac

Post by wac » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:02 am

Shibata would be a great challenger, though that would probably mean he'd have to lose to Nagata again and I'm not sure where you go with the NEVER title after that.

A scenario I thought of earlier is if Ospreay beats KUSHIDA at Dominion and KUSHIDA wants to be in the G1, you could always just move him up. He beat Omega for the junior heavyweight title, so he kind of has a built in reasoning for deserving a title shot.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:32 am

wac wrote:Shibata would be a great challenger, though that would probably mean he'd have to lose to Nagata again and I'm not sure where you go with the NEVER title after that..
Could always just have Nagata defend against the most credible guy not doing anything that month, then when an idea comes around for a more fleshed out storyline, go with that. Feels too much recently like you only get shots at the belt if you're involved in the big storyline and I'd like to see a return to the days of the random title defences here and there at least just for a lower tier belt like the NEVER title.

In terms of Shibata you could always have him get his win back against Nagata in the G1, it still comes out 2-1 in favour of Nagata but at least Shibata would've gotten the most recent win in the series without having to put the NEVER title back on him.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:37 pm

Hard to complain because the show will be great in-ring, but the booking of Dominion is kind of a letdown. I like the IWGP HW and Jr HW matches, but the rest i'm tepid on. IWGP Jr Tag 4-way is just the laziest booking possible.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:44 pm

You won't hear us disagree about the Jr. Tag 4-Way shitshow but I think the Jr HW, IWGP HW and NEVER all have really cool stories going in.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:27 pm

wac wrote:A scenario I thought of earlier is if Ospreay beats KUSHIDA at Dominion and KUSHIDA wants to be in the G1, you could always just move him up. He beat Omega for the junior heavyweight title, so he kind of has a built in reasoning for deserving a title shot.
I'm thinking/hoping this is the case if Ospreay wins, cus what the hell is KUSHIDA gonna do if he loses.

mprentice84

Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by mprentice84 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:41 pm

You won't hear us disagree about the Jr. Tag 4-Way shitshow but I think the Jr HW, IWGP HW and NEVER all have really cool stories going in.
Not sure what to think of the NEVER angle. I love Nagata, but I'm not sure he's long for the title. Going back to Shibata this soon doesn't get me excited at all. I'll have to wait and see what happens next week.

mprentice84

Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by mprentice84 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:46 pm

ceftaxias wrote:A scenario I thought of earlier is if Ospreay beats KUSHIDA at Dominion and KUSHIDA wants to be in the G1, you could always just move him up. He beat Omega for the junior heavyweight title, so he kind of has a built in reasoning for deserving a title shot.
I'm thinking/hoping this is the case if Ospreay wins, cus what the hell is KUSHIDA gonna do if he loses.[/quote]

For that very reason, I think you keep the belt on KUSHIDA until the Dome. Ospreay redeems the two losses and becomes the IWGP Jr Champion on the biggest stage. KUSHIDA can move up to HW at that point. Gives him time to heat up going into NJ Cup.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:05 pm

Tapatalk really is the worst, isn't it?

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:32 pm

THE MATCH gets THE SHIRT:

Official NJPW merch, too. We live in such interesting times.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:45 am

Tapatalk is awful. I just use the browser to open VoW forums.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

wac

Post by wac » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:23 pm

mrjoshdude wrote:In terms of Shibata you could always have him get his win back against Nagata in the G1, it still comes out 2-1 in favour of Nagata but at least Shibata would've gotten the most recent win in the series without having to put the NEVER title back on him.
I didn't think of this, good point.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Eita will be representing Dragon Gate in the Super J Cup.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:54 pm

https://twitter.com/itsvadertime

Will and Vader having a twitter spat. Vader's looking pretty lame on social media. Take a beat, man.