NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Chismo

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Chismo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:03 pm

YOSHI-HASHI, fucking finally! Put Tenzan and a CMLL guy (even Pierroth) instead of Elgin and Marufuji in there, and it would be PERFECT.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Pumped for the G1. With the exception of Yano I think this is an excellent field. And I'm ecstatic that Loa wasn't included. Going in on either Naito or Omega to win.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:35 pm

This is do-or-die for Tama Tonga, as far as my interest goes. He'll be good in the tournament putting guys over, but now is his chance to show us something more than "enhancement talent." I'm not sure if he'll be given all that much time to do that, but it's still his opportunity to exploit or waste this year.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:14 pm

I always love Yano in the G1. I wish Yoshitatsu was in, but I might be alone on that.

catsfan1984

Post by catsfan1984 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:29 am

Not excited for Tama Tonga at all. Just do not see the interest in him. Maybe someone can help me out.

Cabel

Post by Cabel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:26 am

A scenario I've been considering:

What if Shibata wins the G1 but loses the briefcase to Naito later on? We still get Naito vs Okada at the Dome while also still developing Shibata's character for the eventual push.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pol

Post by pol » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:39 pm

I'd love for them to do something like that but I don't think they will. Hoping for NJPW to break from formula is asking for disappointment.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:55 pm

If there's any Gedo formula trope that doesn't bother me it's the briefcase defenses, it's only two matches and I really don't mind the guys in the money matches at the Dome not getting pinned leading up to it.

Naito sleazing his way into the title shot despite not winning the G1 does seem like a perfect fit though, but with that there's the worry that whoever he beats comes out looking like a total geek. I don't think it would fit if a guy on Shibata's level lost it, maybe try Goto.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:11 pm

ceftaxias wrote:If there's any Gedo formula trope that doesn't bother me it's the briefcase defenses, it's only two matches and I really don't mind the guys in the money matches at the Dome not getting pinned leading up to it.

Naito sleazing his way into the title shot despite not winning the G1 does seem like a perfect fit though, but with that there's the worry that whoever he beats comes out looking like a total geek. I don't think it would fit if a guy on Shibata's level lost it, maybe try Goto.
That's how I feel. It's the same logic as interim title defenses; you know the champ won't lose but he's given some entertaining defenses against upper-midcarders for fun to bridge to the big show. I always enjoyed the case defense matches for what they were.

pol

Post by pol » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:25 pm

The case gimmick has led to the period between G1 and Dome feeling totally perfunctory, and it'll continue to feel that way until they show they're willing to have the G1 winner lose the case.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:39 pm

You're right, but I do feel like that point is a bit overstated considering how perfunctory the rest of the year also is in comparison.

pol

Post by pol » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:04 pm

I don't think that's true this year, but it has been the case in past years that the pattern has been WK -> tread water until G1 -> G1 -> tread water until WK. Nakamura leaving and Tanahashi being slightly deemphasised seems to have changed that, since a lot of the water-treading was about keeping them from falling apart before G1.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:08 pm

ceftaxias wrote:If there's any Gedo formula trope that doesn't bother me it's the briefcase defenses, it's only two matches and I really don't mind the guys in the money matches at the Dome not getting pinned leading up to it.

You know, Goto is a real sneaky pick for something like this. It would be a nice comeback story for a guy who is struggling, and he can have it all yanked away by Naito. This could culminate in him finally snapping, because I still don't believe Goto joining CHAOS to play third fiddle is the end to his failure story.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:18 am

Very random question, but does anyone know what's up with New Japan's most recent entrance music album? I saw on Twitter that the 4th album was just released about a month ago, but I can't seem to find it on iTunes. The first three albums are there, but the 4th album hasn't appeared yet.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:50 am

If I'm not mistaken, Japan is stuck in the nineties when it comes to media in certain aspects. CD's cost a ton of money and most music is put out on CD only - they still do CD singles, if you can believe it (I have one J-pop obsessed friend who still buys that shit, haha). So I think it might make it onto digital downloads eventually, the 4th compilation is very new (released only this year) so if you really want it now as opposed to two or three years' time, your best bet might be either ~illegal avenues~ or looking up places that sell Japanese CD's and ships internationally, like CDJapan and YesAsia. I just looked both up quickly and YesAsia only has highly pricy NJPW DVD's, but CDJapan has it for 2130yen.