NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Buzz Sawyer

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:22 pm

dancecab wrote:Is it just me or in the last two/three months the Tag Division in NJPW got hella interesting. Between GOD actually becoming competent if not good workers, War Machine getting over in Japan and the return of Killer Elite Squad plus your fixtures like TenKoji and GBH, I hope they get more focus next year. I also hope Unbreakable Aces goes after the titles to. I know i'm probabbly getting my hopes up for nothing, but their are alot of possibilities for the belts and to have genuine 4 star matches. GOD Vs. GBH and GOD Vs. Ishii/Yoshi-Hashi certainly were ****+.
War Machine is done with Ray Rowe going to NXT. KES, I hope, will get a LONG tag title reign.
Who's Rob Viper ?

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:24 pm

He's my take. First, LOVE that Minoru Fucking Suzuki is back in NJPW with KES and El Desperado. Here's my question. You have 3 Heel factions with Suzuki-gun/Bullet Club/LIJ. Now unless they turn Bullet Club or LIJ face, that's one too many.
Who's Rob Viper ?

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:40 pm

The heat for that Suzuki Gun return, before Suzuki even got in the ring! It was a genuinely great angle and I loved the sell of Okada grabbing at the belt as he was laid out and Suzuki went to take it from him. That match should be excellent, their match from the G1 a couple of years ago was one of my favourites from that year's tour and as I recall that was on one of the final nights so with some time to prepare and without the caveat of a busy G1 show I'm super excited to see what they do.

The rest of SZG I can't say I'm all too excited about, KES will add some much needed depth to the HW Tag division but past them... let's just hope they don't make it past 3rd match on (Desperado is OK I suppose).

Dragon Lee's debut was great, another match down the line I can't wait for, they seem to be intent on focusing on the junior division a bit more with angles of late and with all the talent at their disposal why not! Richochet, Ospreay, KUSHIDA, Takahashi and Dragon Lee is a hell of a top 5 for a division that had been a bit of an afterthought the last few years.

Ospreay/ Shibata was another match really well built here, Ospreay showed a different sort of fire than what we'd really seen of him so far (In New Japan anyway) which was great, they should have one hell of a match be it in New Japan or Rev Pro.

I wonder if Omega woke up looking forward to working today? I don't worry about his lack of a big angle, the guy worked a phenomenal main event that some people are calling the best match ever, they aren't going to forget about that any time soon. They don't have a BIG match for him at the next set of shows so why give him something that people might see as a let down or a downgrade? Get him out of there and when the time comes he'll be back in the main event doing amazing things, and he'll be better off for it!

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:40 am

Buzz Sawyer wrote:
dancecab wrote:Is it just me or in the last two/three months the Tag Division in NJPW got hella interesting. Between GOD actually becoming competent if not good workers, War Machine getting over in Japan and the return of Killer Elite Squad plus your fixtures like TenKoji and GBH, I hope they get more focus next year. I also hope Unbreakable Aces goes after the titles to. I know i'm probabbly getting my hopes up for nothing, but their are alot of possibilities for the belts and to have genuine 4 star matches. GOD Vs. GBH and GOD Vs. Ishii/Yoshi-Hashi certainly were ****+.
War Machine is done with Ray Rowe going to NXT. KES, I hope, will get a LONG tag title reign.
rowe to wwe is not a sure thing.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:41 am

Absolutely loved when Suzuki got into the ring. That Gotch Piledriver was flawless. He is one of my favorite wrestlers ever. I have no issue with him having a IWGP run at this stage.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:43 am

As I predicted, TAKA & Taichi called out RPG Vice for the Jr. Tag Titles. Kanemaru didn't speak up but he'll probably challenge for a title by May. On one hand, it's a fresh match. On the other, it's Taichi.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:33 am

What does all this mean for KUSHIDA? With Dragon Lee coming in, is it a temporary rest break for him in regards to the IWGP Jr. title picture or is he being pushed down a bit?
Who's Rob Viper ?

RolandGunner

Post by RolandGunner » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:41 am

Buzz Sawyer wrote:What does all this mean for KUSHIDA? With Dragon Lee coming in, is it a temporary rest break for him in regards to the IWGP Jr. title picture or is he being pushed down a bit?
Kushi is the long-term face of the division. He's just getting a break during the slow part of the year. He'll get heated back up closer to BoSJ.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:51 am

Takahashi. Kushida. Dragon Lee. Ospreay. Bushi. Desperado. Ricochet. Kanemaru. ACH?

That is a pretty stacked junior division. Maybe the deepest NJPW has ever had.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:31 pm

I'm just gonna state my view on what this Omega thing is all about.

Here are a few things to consider:

1. He's a top NJPW guy and still has boatloads of momentum. If Kenny was actually leaving then he would have had some kind of farewell to properly write him off.

2. Every guy who has left hasn't said anything public like this to his followers on any form of social media. This coupled with Omega not being written off suggests it's a work. Okada briefly mentioned Omega taking "time off" at the press conference this morning and took the time to put him over again even though it was unnecessary.

3. Kenny is a master at working people. He knows what to say to get attention and get people stirring.

4. Omega, in kayfabe, had the IWGP at the Dome as his life goal. He came so damn close to winning it, but he choked. Logically, his character should be in a nasty depression. NJPW loves running these angles with broken guys making a comeback (Tanahashi, Okada, and Goto are big examples in the last two years)

5. This coincides with Suzuki coming back. Bullet Club is left without a leader and NJPW without hope while SKG runs wild, until Omega makes his grand return as a tweener or babyface and helps drive these invaders back. Whether he actually succeeds or not remains to be seen.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:20 pm

I have two theories, which are admittedly mostly fantasy booking and based on little or no evidence, but here goes.

1. The Terminator thing. What's the one line from that movie people remember? And what's the one gimmick that shocked audiences in 1991 or whenever the fuck that second film came out (great film, btw)? Face turn for Arnold.

2. Him talking about showing his vision of pro wrestling was really Wrestling Researcher Kota Ibushi-esque. Maybe (in kayfabe) Kenny thinks that's all he has in the tank and now he's moving onto something else and there's a guy out there who can remind him there's actually a lot more to do in wrestling.. (This is probably stupid, but it's what I immediately thought of. These guys aren't just friends. They're both carved from the same wood in terms of their philosophies in pro wrestling. They want to do big but they definitely also want to do interesting, different, new. I have no idea what's cooking, and I'm just desperate to find out what is.)

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:5. This coincides with Suzuki coming back. Bullet Club is left without a leader and NJPW without hope while SKG runs wild, until Omega makes his grand return as a tweener or babyface and helps drive these invaders back. Whether he actually succeeds or not remains to be seen.
This would be a really cool dynamic if/when Omega comes back. It could be the impetus for him breaking from Bullet Club too and maybe simply doing the Young Bucks/ELITE thing and letting Bullet Club exist with the lesser guys and still sell some shirts here and there. We know Omega feels confined by the BC stuff so this could be a golden opportunity to let the dust settle a bit and sneak out.

Plus, my word.... Omega vs. Suzuki.

Brandon Howard
VOW Staff Member

Post by Brandon Howard » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Is it possible this is legit? And that his contract has expired as NJPW contracts often do at this time of year and he's holding out to get leverage for a better deal?

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Brandon Howard wrote:Is it possible this is legit? And that his contract has expired as NJPW contracts often do at this time of year and he's holding out to get leverage for a better deal?
Even if there isn't a money offer from WWE on the table, he would still be smart to hold out for more money. Sometimes you only have one chance to cash in.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm not going to claim to know his contractual status, but if his contract was due in January like everyone else's last year, he'd have gotten hooked on one of those two-year deals. If his contract was due last September after the G1, they'd have plenty of time to come up for a reason to give the briefcase to Goto and rush his redemption, or at the very least not have booked the Okada match to make him look as strong as he did and leave the possibility of him winning a rematch open.

Maybe his contract did expire in September as it was speculated and all of this was to get him to stay. It is a possibility but that's rather dangerous and I'd hope NJPW would know better than put so much stock in someone who's got one foot out the door. I don't know how much better of a deal Omega could feasibly get. He'll never be the top guy because Okada's better in that aspect in every way, but he'd be the face of NJPW's western expansion and still get crazy accolades no gaijin has received in a long time. And with that I'm sure is a boat load of money.

His schtick has taken a lot from The Terminator, and just like Arnold he'll be back. This just screams "WORK" to me but I'm gonna leave all possibilities open. I'm 98% sure this is a work.