NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
User avatar
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin
Posts: 2174
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Wheaton, IL
Contact:

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:30 pm

BradPTBN wrote:It's interesting from a business standpoint as the Jericho Network has considerable reach, so he could drum up some new subscribers at least.
That definitely has to be part of it. They probably could've found someone more suited, more familiar with the product but the comfort-level with Kelly plus the Network reach seems like obvious reasons for Callis to be the pick.

I'm a little worried personally but it's impossible to know what he'll be like until we see/hear him once. We should know pretty quickly if it's going to be a trainwreck. So long as we stay away from heel schtick and keep it professional and "sporty", he'll be fine.

User avatar
suplexberry
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by suplexberry » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Corino definitely seemed to know that current NJPW heels aren't that heelish so no need to stick up for them too vehemently, though offering the fist bump to Naito and approving of his cheating were always nice touches. I'm not that familiar with Cyrus apart from some of the ECW stuff I've seen, and he can be very funny, which might be fine during the undercard but main events are pretty serious business in NJPW, so hopefully he calls it like that.

The impact of Kenny Omega is probably the more interesting side of this story. Now can Ospreay politick the best of BritWres into NJPW before WWE signs them all away to Tea O'Five Live or whatever the hell.

User avatar
mrjoshdude
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by mrjoshdude » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:06 pm

We're gonna get a higher power 'it was me Austin' style reveal at the New Beginning where it turns out Goto made a fake account and was behind the Shibby affair rumours all this time. 10/10 storyline work Gedo.

User avatar
monster mafia
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:50 am

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by monster mafia » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:53 pm

fantastica mania shows are not gonna be on njpworld?

User avatar
Haya
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:26 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Haya » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:08 pm

I'm actually surprisingly excited about seeing Callis in NJPW. It could be an absolute wreck if he heels it up like everyone else has said, but I find him funny as fuck so hopefully he finds a good balance pretty quickly.

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:13 pm

suplexberry wrote:Corino definitely seemed to know that current NJPW heels aren't that heelish so no need to stick up for them too vehemently, though offering the fist bump to Naito and approving of his cheating were always nice touches. I'm not that familiar with Cyrus apart from some of the ECW stuff I've seen, and he can be very funny, which might be fine during the undercard but main events are pretty serious business in NJPW, so hopefully he calls it like that.

The impact of Kenny Omega is probably the more interesting side of this story. Now can Ospreay politick the best of BritWres into NJPW before WWE signs them all away to Tea O'Five Live or whatever the hell.
TEA O'FIVE LIVE

I'm stealing that

User avatar
Jacob's Bawks
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:16 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:15 pm

monster mafia wrote:fantastica mania shows are not gonna be on njpworld?
The 1/20-1/22 Korakuen shows will be streamed live. Those are the big ones.

They're also livestreaming the 1/27 Korakuen which is the big Taichi return show, with him headlining. Not relevant, but still a reminder :D
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:20 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:This Shibata thing seems nuts to me. Is it frowned upon in Japan for wrestlers to bone groupies? Or is it just the violation of monogamy is a serious thing?
It is consider shameful and embarrassing to your employer. It's very hard for westerners to wrap our heads around this as it's generally accepted that touring entertainers/athletes are fucking everything that moves married or otherwise, and in any typical office setting you'll find many examples of Assistant VP of Marketing Jim banging Sally from the accounting department and even though everyone knows Jim is married nobody really gives a shit beyond thinking he's a bit of a sleazeball.

Anyway, it looks like this Shibata thing is going nowhere. New Japan strategically put out the Okada engagement to bury it, and it appears that tactic worked. The mistress made one last desperate effort with more screen shots of text messages, but then disappeared from social media entirely.

User avatar
Ferrante207
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:39 am
Location: MAINE

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Ferrante207 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:26 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Ferrante207 wrote:This Shibata thing seems nuts to me. Is it frowned upon in Japan for wrestlers to bone groupies? Or is it just the violation of monogamy is a serious thing?
It is consider shameful and embarrassing to your employer. It's very hard for westerners to wrap our heads around this as it's generally accepted that touring entertainers/athletes are fucking everything that moves married or otherwise, and in any typical office setting you'll find many examples of Assistant VP of Marketing Jim banging Sally from the accounting department and even though everyone knows Jim is married nobody really gives a shit beyond thinking he's a bit of a sleazeball.

Anyway, it looks like this Shibata thing is going nowhere. New Japan strategically put out the Okada engagement to bury it, and it appears that tactic worked. The mistress made one last desperate effort with more screen shots of text messages, but then disappeared from social media entirely.
Good, was worried this hiccup would push the Shibs Dome headline back to 2019. Good explanation on the social norms as well.

cpgoat3
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:30 am

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by cpgoat3 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:54 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:
monster mafia wrote:fantastica mania shows are not gonna be on njpworld?
The 1/20-1/22 Korakuen shows will be streamed live. Those are the big ones.

They're also livestreaming the 1/27 Korakuen which is the big Taichi return show, with him headlining. Not relevant, but still a reminder :D
I think night 1 is airing on Samurai as well too?

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:10 am

cpgoat3 wrote:
Jacob's Bawks wrote:
monster mafia wrote:fantastica mania shows are not gonna be on njpworld?
The 1/20-1/22 Korakuen shows will be streamed live. Those are the big ones.

They're also livestreaming the 1/27 Korakuen which is the big Taichi return show, with him headlining. Not relevant, but still a reminder :D
I think night 1 is airing on Samurai as well too?
Yes.

User avatar
EvanDeadlySins
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:30 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Contact:

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:33 am









2018 BOYZ

https://twitter.com/i/moments/821702645681307648

Entire interview at link above. Joe's going to have a fit when he reads about this stuff.
Last edited by EvanDeadlySins on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
suplexberry
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by suplexberry » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:12 pm

This is so much stuff to process, I don't even know where to begin. Some of the roster already lives in LA/California so I guess it would save Rocky some miles to spend half a year at the (forthcoming?) LA dojo and work NJPW USA shows. I'm not sure I agree with him about the ratio, though. I think 'the feel' is more important - if it's a NJPW branded show with some foreigners who don't feel as what you've come to expect from modern New Japan, people aren't going to gravitate towards it. You really need the best talent, regardless of whether it's Japanese or American or Canadian or Mexican. Otherwise it'll just be another wrestling show, though with some money behind it. I think people don't want to see more gaijins on NJPW cards - it's more important that the Japanese promos get translated, and the gaijins they bring in or use are actually quality wrestlers.

With that said, the pool of talent is deep. You could easily dip into the best of ROH, bring in a few CMLL dudes, fly over a handful of your own roster and book some great shows, and give some of the up-and-comers a deal in the LA dojo and make them your future gaijin stars. I can't even keep track of who's signed to whom. (How many folks would rather sign with NJPW than with LU who are LA-based? Just a thought.)

NJPW is determined to keep the Shibata side-chick out of headlines and out of VoW flagship, since now this whole thing has got to be a big topic of discussion.

User avatar
Ferrante207
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:39 am
Location: MAINE

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Ferrante207 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Holy crap that's a lot from Kidani. So will his idea of presenting the western-side product with a heavier western mix entail NJPW signing more western guys?

User avatar
noggy
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by noggy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Well, it's certainly the right basic idea if they want to invest money to grow the company in the near future. Unless TV Asahi gives them a better timeslot they're pretty much at or close to their ceiling in Japan.

As big as Kidani tends to talk (things like doing a stadium tour) I don't think his actions have been particularly reckless. What's his biggest overaggressive blunder? Running Yokohama Arena and the Seibu Dome? Those are minor mistakes in the grand scheme of things. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I don't think NJPW is diving headfirst into this without knowing something we don't know.

People like to point at TNA and Global Force as proof of how hard it is to get a decent tv deal, or a tv deal at all, in the US but I'm not sure it's that simple. Considering how their relationships with Spike and Destination America ended, I can't imagine they have a good reputation in the industry. As for Global, considering Jarrett was running minor league ballparks and casinos (meaning they were paid shows most likely) he was probably fishing for a tv deal that paid enough to more or less fund the entire company. So it doesn't mean no network was interested, just nobody was interested at his price tag. Obviously NJPW doesn't need a US tv deal that pays well enough to fund the entire company.


Of course it's a gamble but considering the potential upside and that it's highly unlikely to financially ruin the company if it flops, I'm happy to see them take a real chance on this. I prefer this to them doing nothing as they tread water in Japan. Hopefully it also means investing in a proper English website for NJPW World and apps because the biggest growth potential for that service is no doubt in the English speaking world.

Post Reply