NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Only saw the last three matches so I'll fill this out as I watch the rest:

Tanahashi & Jay: Huge missed opportunity here. White should have won the title and looked dominant doing it and even if you didnt want to give him the belt right away, he needed to look like a killer in defeat. He didn't. He looked like a guy. He worked over Tana's knee, used some innovative offense but overall just felt like another guy on the roster. That is NOT how you want to debut him. This stuff takes time obviously but they missed a huge chance to make him in one night.

Jericho vs. Omega fucking rocked. I went ****3/4 as I don't think it quite hit the perfect 5 but holy shit did i love this. Innovative offense with Jericho working his ass off. It felt like an EPIC with a few different parts/acts to it. Omega is just so god damn good.

Naito vs. Okada: Went full five as I thought it was nearly perfect. There's some stuff in the middle portion of the match that I wasn't totally in love with and it got a little paint by numbers at a point but the beginning and the last 10-15 minutes were absolute madness. I love a match that feels like it peaks early only to bring you back down then take you on a rollercoaster ride the rest of the way. Okada going for his sigs half way through was great as it set the stage for the rest of the match to be bonker. He gave him his first shot and now they had to trade bombs the rest of the way. The counters in the final few minutes had me going nuts. Awesome stuff by both guys. Now the result, that will be much talked about. I don't like it, Naito was at his apex and they should have pounced. We'll see what the short and long term ramifications are. From an "artist" standpoint, I don't love it but NJPW deserves the benefit of the doubt so we'll see how it plays out.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:47 pm

So far I have watched through the Heavyweight tag title match and the undercard has been a pleasant surprise. The Jr tag, Heavy Tag, and Cody v Ibushi are all sitting at 3.5 to 4 stars to me. Probably will have to watch them again to make up my mind. That cross Rhodes off the apron spot was the best thing Cody has ever done in wrestling, period, end of story.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Have only read reviews so far but just for the fact that Tanahashi should take some time off to heal some injuries , White should've won, even by interference. I find it funny that everyone thinks that Omega carried Jericho. Jericho didn't have to work as hard in the "E", so he was rested to give a high level rapid fire match. Jericho could actually become this generations Nick Bockwinkel as he ages into 50 and beyond.
Who's Rob Viper ?

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Knew Okada was gonna win. He will keep winning at the next dome shows until Kitamura is ready for the torch. Based.

ManuRomero90

Post by ManuRomero90 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:25 pm

I think im in the minority that loved Tana vs White, i wanted White to win but after the way they played the match im glad they decided to wait, White was sure Tanahashi was not the ACE anymore and that costed the match, Tanahashi proved to him that and now White has to change his mind and focus on conquer the ACE.

I loved White's mannerism and the way he was challenging Tanahashi the whole match too i think this is some very promising debut for him.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Greatest show I've ever seen. Not one bad match and plenty of amazing ones.

Final 2 matches were insane. Went ****3/4 and then ***** for the main. Loved that Naito hit Destino but then went for 1 more and got caught. You can tell a hell of a story going forward. My god what a title run from Okada this is

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:03 pm

I told people aces don't lose at the Dome. I saw so many people guessing White, Naito, and Jericho to all win. That's NEVER been how they do things.

Granted, even I didn't call Tanahashi retaining.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:53 pm

Garuda wrote:I told people aces don't lose at the Dome. I saw so many people guessing White, Naito, and Jericho to all win. That's NEVER been how they do things.

Granted, even I didn't call Tanahashi retaining.
While that definitely seems to be the thorough line to the results, it's a problematic argument. If there was ever a time for someone to go over Okada at the Dome it is now and if there was ever a guy to do it it was Naito. I feel like this sets up a ceiling. How big a Dome can grow and how much a G1 can matter. If a guy gets that over and wins the G1 but can't win the ultimate prize at the ultimate place than it's just limiting.

Tanahashi's win is more defensible but the problem is that they didn't have to set Jay White up to fail like this. Suzuki could have easily had a hair v hair IC title match and it would have drawn and not put White in a hole.

Omega winning was 100% right imo. Jericho didn't need the win and can still work some more dates if he wants.
Last edited by Bloodbuzz Bunk on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

throwstuff165

Post by throwstuff165 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:22 am

Won't go match-by-match but wanted to get some quick hit thoughts in.

I think I'm the high man at ****1/2 for the opener. That might be the best straight 2v2 Bucks match ever (only ones I can think of that might beat it are a couple they had with the Time Splitters). Words can't express how much I loved R3K turning around the Bucks calling them young boys by trying to win with the Single Leg Crabs. That was an amazing bit of psychology.

Tanahashi vs White was a perfect example of a match that was well worked with a good story but just wasn't actually enjoyable to watch. Result is kind of a head scratcher, too.

Omega vs Jericho was the best Jericho match since WM19, right? Might have even been better.

Okada vs Naito was one of the easiest ***** ratings I've ever given. Masterclass in how to work a long-term story into a match. I don't want to comment on the result until we get any idea of the direction they're going at New Year's Dash. My gut reaction is that it was a mistake, but I think I have an idea of what they might be doing this year and if I'm right, it could all work out just fine. Either way, I'm choosing to look at the positive that Okada's legendary title reign continues. In ten years, fans are going to look back and be flabbergasted as to why so many of us hated it at the time.

I'll leave y'all with one SCORCHING HOT TAKE: Okada's long pants are awesome and all of you that hate them are wrong.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:17 am

Wow. It's 3:am here in france and I just finished watching WK 12, which was the first WK i watch live.
For information, show is delivered at noon here, but I absolutely wanted to wait the evening in order to watch it, with my brother and some pizza. Good call, but the end of the show was a bit sleepy ^^

Won't go in full details, but my impression is that I just loved the show. to compare with the previous, i do not think we had the same epic road the three last match of last year offered, but the global quality of this year edition was way better.

Loved almost EVERY match, yes even Cody and Ibushi, and Jericho/Omega was maybe the showstealer of the night : what a barbaric piece that was . Only two matches i did'not succeed to get into was the Heavy TT and the Tana/Jay White : this latter did not really shine, the whole was slow boring, and result do not really serve any of the two wrestlers. Missed Opportunity.

Loved Naito Okada, even if i would not go the five stars. My note would be a 4 and half stars, but i need to rewatch it, because the very slow strech of the beginning did not really helped me to stay awake. VERY surprised by the result, I suspect Gedo to frustrate us in order to captivate us, but I just hope this loss will not damage Naito.

And Okada, please : the pant. NEVER AGAIN.

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:36 am

So do you guys think with what happened with Jay basically confirms the long term plan for Tanahashi was a Shibata match at the dome to rekindle their feud from a few years ago? It's hard imagining this was the original plan for Jay to re-debut, either that or they weren't happy with the reactions he got and just cut the whole thing. They could have easily done an Ishii or an Ibushi rematch for Tanahashi instead of hanging Jay out to dry if they didn't think he was ready yet. Even a Juice or a Beretta would have greatly benefited from being beaten by Tanahashi in the same manner Jay did. Gedo's usually excellent at creating stars in a singular moment, but this was a rare swing and a miss. Wonder if Jay gets mothballed for a couple of months to retool or even change him completely.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:59 am

I am one of those guys that signed up for NJPW World after Jericho vs Omega was announced, so don't expect any expert comments from me. But I have to say: NJPW has achieved its objective. This was a highly enjoyable event, no bad match, some excellent stuff and I really liked the visuals and the presentation. I intend to see more NJPW!

My personal highlights were the Kota vs Cody match, which was perfect character and in-ring work for both guys, the 4-way juniors, and the two main events, with Omega and Jericho the MOTN and for me 5*. I saw that most expected Naito to win, and what I hear that would have made sense. But I also get that if you have a record sell-out champion with this legacy, you may want to continue to build this is as the most epic title reign in history. You just should not miss the right moment to finish it.

After listening to the VOW flagship show for years, I always thought NJPW would be something for real nerdy experts. My wife watched three matches with me and she being a casual watcher was immediately impressed without having any knowledge of NJPW. My moment of the day was when she said: "The guy actually tried to hold the other guy down when pinning, not just bent over him". Casual watchers can notice such differences as well!

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 am

Really enjoyed this show and a lot of you echo my feelings on it so I'll just note two things:

1. Cody Rhodes sucks but he sucked less here due to being in the ring with Ibushi.

2. Goto/Suzuki beating the snot out of each other was incredibly entertaining.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:18 pm

This NYD did have one mission : reassure and maintain the hype after WK12. Job is perfectly done, in my opinion.

Fun fact : i was surprisin me really like the prestation of Tongans Team. Guys got real alchemy, and seem to care a little about the belt, which I never felt like it with LIJ trio's team. Hope to see good defenses very soon.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:56 pm

Saw this posted online. Heat Naito up worldwide with the Jericho feud and then have him dethrone Okada. Makes complete sense to me now.