NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
thecubsfan

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by thecubsfan » Wed May 23, 2018 11:06 pm

Once you're told Ishimori is playing Bullet Club AJ Styles, it's tough to unsee it.

LukePuroresu89

Post by LukePuroresu89 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:44 pm

BlizzardAcolyte wrote:
LukePuroresu89 wrote:Desperado and Hiromu will take some beating, match of tournament so far for me.
It does worry me a little, though--they destroyed each other so thoroughly, booking now has the option of telling the story that these two's respective tourney campaigns will begin to falter as the damage from this match gradually takes its toll on both men. That might stop Despy from making semis...shit.
True, never thought of it like that. Are they doing semi finals this year? Can't recall if they did it last year.

At least he has a belt around his waist right now, which is better than just draping the Suzuki-gun flag as Minoru Suzuki entered the ring!

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri May 25, 2018 2:05 am

LukePuroresu89 wrote:
BlizzardAcolyte wrote:
LukePuroresu89 wrote:Desperado and Hiromu will take some beating, match of tournament so far for me.
It does worry me a little, though--they destroyed each other so thoroughly, booking now has the option of telling the story that these two's respective tourney campaigns will begin to falter as the damage from this match gradually takes its toll on both men. That might stop Despy from making semis...shit.
True, never thought of it like that. Are they doing semi finals this year? Can't recall if they did it last year.

At least he has a belt around his waist right now, which is better than just draping the Suzuki-gun flag as Minoru Suzuki entered the ring!
The last time there was a semi-finals in this tournament was 2014

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Fri May 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Just some random BOSJ thoughts from what I've seen thus far....

Is it me or does BUSHI start really badly in the BOSJ every year? Pretty sure he started 0-3 last year as well. Tiger Mask at 3-0 is a shock, can he go all the way? Probably not, he's clearly positioned as the surprise fast starter this year. Watch him go 0-4 for the rest of the tournament.

Hiromu vs Despy is probably my match of the tournament so far. Always felt Despy was a bit underrated/underappreciated, so I'm pleased he's finally getting something of a push. Even when partaking in the heel shenanigans/Suzukigun Bullshit I've always found him to be at least a bit more creative and varied with his heel tactics in comparison to his SZKG peers.

Been very impressed with SHO thus far, had an excellent match with Dragon Lee and then had a much better match with Chris Sabin than KUSHIDA did. That Sabin vs KUSHIDA match was probably the most disappointing match in the entire tournament thus far for me, their match just never got out of first gear.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat May 26, 2018 12:33 pm

Tiger Mask/BUSHI was pretty much exactly what you would expect a match between those two to be like, which is to say that it was unspectacular but perfectly solid. Not much to say about it except that it is interesting that Tiger is currently undefeated while BUSHI is winless. As Tigerkinney mentioned above it's likely that Tiger Mask just stops winning at this point, but this winning streak will likely make his matches from here on out seem more dramatic and unpredictable than they otherwise would.

I really liked Kanemaru/ACH. They told a simple but effective story based around ACH's injured shoulder, which he sold exceptionally well. I used to think that he was one of the most overrated wrestlers around, but now I think he may be one of the most underappreciated. He's a stand-out in this tournament for me.

Flip/Ishimori was a fine match, but I'm not crazy about the result. The way the schedule is laid out I thought that Flip might go winless until the final block night, where he would defeat an overconfident Ospreay, which I feel would have been a good story to tell with someone of Flip's experience and skill level. I don't hate Flip the way that many others seem to (I don't really care that he says dumb things on Twitter) but I'm not into him being presented as a legit contender in his block. They needed to beat Ishimori at some point just so at least one other person would still be alive in this block on the final night, but Flip probably would've been my last choice to be the guy to score that victory. It was presented as kind of a lucky fluke win, but I still didn't like it.

Ospreay/YOH was my favorite of the most recent group of A Block matches. YOH seems to be building in confidence as a singles wrestler as this tournament goes on, and I thought that this was his best performance so far. Ospreay has been the MVP of the A Block thus far in my opinion, and this was another very good performance from him. That said, it was pretty funny when Ospreay's Sasuke Special was mistargeted and YOH had to move like 3 feet to his right to catch him. There was another near-botch when YOH slipped on the ropes on his superplex but I thought that that one actually added to the sense of danger in the match.

Scurll/Sabin was good but could have been tightened up a bit, which is how I feel about pretty much every Marty Scurll match these days. I just get tired of his comedy bits in a way that I don't with Yano's or Taguchi's. That said, he is incredibly over with the Japanese audience even on these smaller house shows, so I guess he's doing something right even if it's not necessarily to my taste.

Taguchi/KUSHIDA was interesting and I don't know that I've fully worked out my feelings on it yet. I think it's smart to pull out at least one of these rapid-fire, banana peel falls in each of these tournaments, just to establish that anybody can beat anybody at any given time, but I wish that these two had been put in a position to have a great standout match like they did in the last two BOSJs. Still, this was very well done for what it was, and Taguchi's roll up reversal of KUSHIDA's awesome rolling DDT spot was flawlessly executed.

SHO and Desperado have been standout performers throughout this tournament but I thought their match against each other was merely pretty good. They were telling a simple story of Desperado working over SHO's leg, but SHO was pretty inconsistent in his selling of the injury, even pulling out the move where he drops his opponent onto his knees toward the end with apparently no ill effect. That type of thing doesn't normally bother me that much, but in this case there wasn't much to the match besides SHO's leg being worked over, so the inconsistency really stood out to me.

Dragon Lee/Hiromu was really good as their matches together always are, although I'd say that it was probably one of the lesser matches of their series (though they've set such an insanely high standard that this was still one of the best matches of this very good tournament so far). The New Beginning 2017 match set such a high bar for death-defying insanity that I feel like everything these two have done together since then has been a slight let-down despite still being awesome by any reasonable standard. They also had the disadvantage of so closely following the deranged Hiromu/Desperado match from a few nights earlier, which is probably the high point of the tournament so far. Still, this is the one match from this most recent group of shows that I would say is absolutely must-see for anyone cherry picking the best of the BOSJ.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Sat May 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Have had the worst luck with njpwworld today. Usually work via chrome browser/chromecast. Having all kinds of problems today on both phone and laptop.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Mon May 28, 2018 3:10 pm

The A Block matches from the 26th are honestly all pretty skippable. Flip/Tiger and ACH/YOH were both solid but pretty forgettable. Kanemaru/Ishimori was honestly pretty boring, although in fairness they may have been playing off of some NOAH history that I didn't pick up on. BUSHI/Ospreay was the best match of this group but it was far from great. I really didn't feel any urgency from BUSHI despite him being winless up to that point. Those two are talented enough that even by going through the motions they still had a pretty good match, but it's nothing that I'll remember clearly by the time the tournament is over.

Thankfully yesterday's B Block matches were much stronger. Scurll/Desperado exceeded my expectations. I thought that match would be heavy on shenanigans, but they surprisingly mostly stuck to having a competitive quality match. It wasn't a highlight of the tournament or anything, but it was really good, and probably Scurll's best performance of the tournament so far.

Sabin/Lee was similarly just a really good competitive match. Dragon Lee has been really good in this tournament. I thought that some of the dream matches he was in last year against the likes of Will Ospreay and Ricochet were kind of disappointing, but he has really been delivering throughout this year's BOSJ. Sabin's been looking really good too aside from his rough first match against KUSHIDA.

KUSHIDA/SHO was a very good match that was unfortunately a victim of both the single cam setup and of my sky high expectations (this has been my most anticipated singles match ever since these two were on opposite sides of a match during last year's Jr Tag tournament). I think this type of intricate, no-frills technical match really would've benefited from closer camera angles and commentary. It was still some really high level wrestling though, and my favorite KUSHIDA match of the tournament so far.

Hiromu and Taguchi had a great match at the 2017 Anniversary Show, and they had an equally good one in this year's BOSJ. Their styles compliment each other so well, because they can both get wacky but they can also both switch on a dime to being the serious wrestler who can counter anything that the other one is throwing at them. I also really felt the urgency from both of these guys to win that I didn't feel from BUSHI in the previous night's main event. I know he's kind of a boring, obvious choice, but Hiromu was really been the MVP of the tournament so far. I think he's been in 3 out of the 4 best matches (vs. Desperado, vs. Dragon Lee, and vs. Taguchi, with SHO vs. Sabin being the other one in that same quality range) and he just comes off as such a bigger star than everyone else in the division, including Will Ospreay.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Mon May 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Have there been any MUST WATCH matches yet? Not looking for full on reviews, just a list of matches to definitely check out :)
I watched the ENTIRE BOSJ tournament last year and really burnt myself out FAST on it, so only want to pick and choose with what's been good this year.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Mon May 28, 2018 10:19 pm

John The Drummer wrote:Have there been any MUST WATCH matches yet? Not looking for full on reviews, just a list of matches to definitely check out :)
I watched the ENTIRE BOSJ tournament last year and really burnt myself out FAST on it, so only want to pick and choose with what's been good this year.
May 18th - ACH vs Flip Gordon and Will Ospreay vs. Taiji Ishimori
May 19th - Dragon Lee vs. SHO
May 22nd - Chris Sabin vs. SHO and Hiromu Takahashi vs. El Desperado
May 25th - Dragon Lee vs. Hiromu Takahashi
May 27th - Hiromu Takahashi vs. Ryusuke Taguchi

I think that covers all of the most acclaimed matches of the tournament so far and/or the ones that I personally thought were the best.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Mon May 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Frank Olson wrote:
John The Drummer wrote:Have there been any MUST WATCH matches yet? Not looking for full on reviews, just a list of matches to definitely check out :)
May 18th - ACH vs Flip Gordon and Will Ospreay vs. Taiji Ishimori
May 19th - Dragon Lee vs. SHO
May 22nd - Chris Sabin vs. SHO and Hiromu Takahashi vs. El Desperado
May 25th - Dragon Lee vs. Hiromu Takahashi
May 27th - Hiromu Takahashi vs. Ryusuke Taguchi

I think that covers all of the most acclaimed matches of the tournament so far and/or the ones that I personally thought were the best.
AWESOME! Thank you very much!! I'll have to get started on these VERY soon.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Wed May 30, 2018 2:50 am

Everything that Frank said plus
Night 2: Scrull v Takahashi
Night 3: ACH v Ospreay
Night 4: Scrull v Kushida
Night 5: Yoh v Ospreay

The Scrull matches depend on your tastes for Scrull. Some don’t like his crowd gesturing but honestly it isn’t that bad IMHO.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:42 am

The A Block matches from the 29th got off to a rough start with the very lackluster Ishimori/Tiger Mask match. Ishimori portraying a cocky attitude at the start of the match made no sense to me given that he was coming off of two losses (and entering a match with a guy who had more points than him). Tiger Mask seemed to be taking the night off after an otherwise strong tournament as well. This may have been my least favorite Best of the Super Juniors match so far this year.

ACH vs. BUSHI was solid but not really memorable. I thought their match in last year's tournament was a hidden gem but nothing about this year's match particularly stood out to me.

YOH and Flip had a really good bout, and may have given each other each their best match up to this point in the tournament. It just seems like they really have good chemistry. Also I find Flip's matches more palatable when he loses. I don't dislike the guy, but he's clearly not as polished a performer as the rest of the field, and I think that with his plucky underdog persona he should be losing more often than he wins. Anyway, I thought this was Match of the Night.

Ospreay vs. Kanemaru was good. I find Kanemaru's old school heel act pretty boring, but the way that he worked over Ospreay's injured neck was very effective in this match. Ospreay continues to be a standout in this tournament and he really has a lot of crowd support. I got a kick out of that one guy in the audience who appeared to be Ospreay's #1 fan, as he kept doing all of his English chants.

All of the B Block matches from the 30th were terrific, and this may have been my favorite overall group of matches from this year's tournament so far. It got off to a hot start with the Scurll vs. Dragon Lee match. I don't remember their match last year being anything special, but they really clicked well in this match. I particularly liked some of their exchanges on the apron. A very strong competitive match.

Taguchi vs. SHO was great. Everyone is talking about how great SHO has been in this tournament, and rightfully so, but I think that Taguchi is getting overlooked despite putting in a number of great performances. He had a genuinely funny comedy spot early in the match where he was pretending to avoid SHO's “arrows” and then he got down to business and had one of his awesome heavy workrate performances.

Taguchi/SHO was probably my Match of the Night, but Hiromu/Sabin was just about neck-and-neck with it quality wise. This was a fast-paced competitive match where you could really feel the urgency of both guys struggling to get 2 more points. The work was incredibly fluid and you would think that these guys had wrestled each other 100 times considering how well they worked together.

KUSHIDA/Desperado was a strong main event, and probably the best of the matches that these two have had together. Desperado is perhaps the best in New Japan at using foreign objects and doing crowd brawling. When other wrestlers do those things it often feels like they are using them as a lazy crutch, but there is a genuine sense of danger to a lot of Desperado's cheating, and he always seems to be working hard. That contrasts very well with KUSHIDA's whitemeat babyface style. I think this might have been KUSHIDA's best match of the tournament so far.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:15 am

Frank Olson wrote: KUSHIDA/SHO was a very good match that was unfortunately a victim of both the single cam setup and of my sky high expectations (this has been my most anticipated singles match ever since these two were on opposite sides of a match during last year's Jr Tag tournament). I think this type of intricate, no-frills technical match really would've benefited from closer camera angles and commentary. It was still some really high level wrestling though, and my favorite KUSHIDA match of the tournament so far.
That's an interesting point you make about these sort of technical submission based matches- if you can see the intricacies of their work up close, they tend to be much more engaging. For example I saw a Zack Sabre Jr. match live (can't remember who it was against), lets say I wasn't blown away and couldn't see what the hype was about but that was because the seat I got wasn't very good and didn't have a great view to the ring. Since seeing ZSJ matches on New Japan World however, I am firmly in the ZSJ is awesome camp. Anyway my point is that I agree that certain types of matches/wrestlers can be enhanced by how they are presented.

Still though despite those presentation issues I really liked the KUSHIDA vs SHO match- it was something different and showed that the Juniors Division, doesn't just have to be small guys doing flippy stuff. In general I'm really enjoying the variety in styles that each of this year's participants are bringing to the table this year.

Block B has definitely been the stronger Block though (but I think most people would have expected that looking at the Blocks before the tournament). The Block A night's haven't stunk but there are some nights where they haven't really delivered a standout match ( a lot of stuff floating around the 3 star level), where as the B-Block has been delivering at least 2 really good matches per show.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:35 am

PuroDream uploaded the SamuraiTV broadcast of the 5/26 and 5/27 BoSJ matches. Some have been clipped to fit a 2-hour window but it's got full production and commentary.

Flip vs Tiger
ACH vs YOH
Kanemaru vs Ishimori
BUSHI vs Ospreay
Desperado vs Scurll
Sabin vs Lee
KUSHIDA vs SHO
Hiromu vs Taguchi

They should have thrown someone else in A Block to get Ishimori in B Block. He'll be fine but a stronger impression would have been made if he fought actual stars.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:56 am

Seeing how the standings have shaken out I think it’s bold predictions time folks. Going into the last night who is winning each block and who is winning the final?

My bold prediction: as firm believer in Mysterio v Ospreay at the Cow Palace, I think the best way to get there is to do Ishimori v Ospreay and Mysterio v ??? @ Dominion. This leads me to believe that since the angle involving Mysterio and Scrull happened at SSE that Mysterio v Scrull is likely for Dominion. So this leads me to believe that we are getting Ishimori v Scrull in the Final to get both guys hot and continue the Bullet Club strife. Conversely this means Takahashi and Kushida have to draw on the final night.

That’s my prediction but what does everyone else think?