NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
KLC

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by KLC » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:50 pm

https://twitter.com/kevinchiat/status/1 ... 1600822272

Twitter thread I put together of cool Robbie Eagles matches that are easily available.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:40 pm

thecubsfan wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:00 pm
Am I remembering correctly that - after Kenny tried to recruit Jay White to the Bullet Club and that went badly - that there was a press room conversation between Scrull and Tama Tonga where Tama suggested the problem was the wrong person asked White? That seemed like a seed of Tama vs Omega but maybe it's not the only seed they were planting.

This is mostly to say that an Oceanic Club of 1) Fale 2) Tonga 3) Loa is iffy at best, but one with 1) White 2) Fale 3) Tonga seems more workable, concludes the tension between White and the rest of the group and focuses GOD on the tag titles instead of Tama being in singles feuds.
the key to understanding new japan pro wrestling is to only watch about twenty matches a year.

rollup

Post by rollup » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:11 pm

ibushi has "rage Quit" :lol:

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:46 am

Desperado/Kanemaru vs. Jr Dads was basically the same match that they had on the Destruction tour, except with the champions winning this time. It's a good formula, though, and the heels immediately attacking the babyfaces on the ramp did give the show a nice sense of urgency to start out.

I thought the English commentary team did a nice job of adding some meaning to the essentially inconsequential GBH vs. Juice/Henare match by pointing out that it was the first two-on-two match for Makabe and Honma since February 2017, and also by mentioning that Henare had filled the role of Makabe's partner in the interim. I also like the little detail of Juice changing out of his patriotic gear now that he's no longer the US Champ. He's gotten really good at the little storytelling details.

The Bullet Club Elite vs. Bullet Club OG 8-man tag was pretty fun. I thought that Chase Owens stood out as somehow being possibly the smoothest worker in a match that also included The Young Bucks and Taiji Ishimori. Hangman Page looked really good in this match too.

The CHAOS vs. Suzukigun 6-man was kind of a weird experience in that it seemed almost like a collection of unrelated segments rather than one cohesive match. Iizuka is a fun character, but I really don't need to see him in the ring for more than 30 seconds, and it felt like he was in way too much of this match. The stuff with Suzuki vs. Ishii and Suzuki vs. Goto was good (and I think that Suzuki/Ishii pairing is the best on the roster for forearm exchanges) and I actually really enjoyed the Ospreay/Taichi exchanges even if they felt like they belonged in a different match. Hopefully we do actually get Ospreay dethroning Taichi and going on to have a NEVER match with Ibushi at the Tokyo Dome.

Shingo already feels like a good fit for LIJ and he definitely felt like a big star in that 8-man tag. I haven't seen a ton of Dragon Gate, but he definitely stood out to me in the handful of heavily hyped Unit Disband tag matches that I checked out over the past few years, and he definitely stood out in a New Japan context as well. I was surprised by the high amount of Okada/Naito exchanges in the match, and also by how little the crowd seemed to be into them.

I was really disappointed in the EVIL/ZSJ non-match. That was the match I was most looking forward to on this show by far, so to have it just be an angle to set up EVIL/Jericho and Naito/ZSJ (presumably both for Power Struggle) felt kind of lame to me. Hopefully we do actually get an EVIL/Sabre singles match at some point, because I have really enjoyed their clash of styles in some of the recent tag matches they've been in.

KUSHIDA/Scurll was probably my favorite match of the night. I thought a lot of the counters were really creative, and for the most part it came off like they were really in a struggle against each other and not just cooperating with each other to pull off fancy looking moves. It felt really different than all of this year's other Junior Title matches, and while I liked all of those as well I definitely appreciate the variety.

White/Tanahashi was filled with cliched heel shenanigans, but I thought they actually worked pretty well in this context, and this was easily my favorite of the three matches these two have had together. It definitely helped that this match, and the post-match angle, got absolutely nuclear crowd heat. I'm not sure overall how I feel about White aligning himself with the Bullet Club OGs (and at this point I would kind of prefer if they refer to themselves as The New Era rather than the Bullet Club) but I thought the angle was well executed and I'm willing to see how it plays out.

The triple threat match was better than I thought it would be, and I was mostly entertained by it despite the narrative of the match (“we are all friends even if we fight sometimes”) being ill-suited to a big IWGP Title bout. The work was solid (aside from the unfortunate botch on that springboard sunset flip powerbomb thing) but the match was really missing that big New Japan main event aura, and the semi-main event really felt like the climax of the show. Also, one thing I hate about triple threat matches, and it happened several times here, is when somebody goes for a pin when the third participant is standing like two feet away from them and they are obviously going to break it up.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:16 am

Even though I am disappointed they are presenting Shingo as a Junior for now, just thing of the potential matches he could have and it kind of changes my mind. His strength is being the big bully, so they are essentially playing to his strengths.

KUSHIDA, Scurll, Ishimori, Sho, Yoh, Desperado, Dragon Lee, Robbie Eagles with potential tags with BUSHI and eventually with Hiromu. Even with Ospreay looking towards the heavyweight division, he has said for years he wants to wrestle Shingo as he fell in love with him watching Dragon UK and that match would be insane on paper.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Empiresk wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:16 am
Even though I am disappointed they are presenting Shingo as a Junior for now, just thing of the potential matches he could have and it kind of changes my mind. His strength is being the big bully, so they are essentially playing to his strengths.

KUSHIDA, Scurll, Ishimori, Sho, Yoh, Desperado, Dragon Lee, Robbie Eagles with potential tags with BUSHI and eventually with Hiromu. Even with Ospreay looking towards the heavyweight division, he has said for years he wants to wrestle Shingo as he fell in love with him watching Dragon UK and that match would be insane on paper.
I think that's just it. Shingo could play a big bully in DG because he was so much more physically imposing than the majority of their roster. If you put him in New Japan heavyweight right off the bat the aesthetics may not look right. Now you can have him burn through the juniors as the prototypical "power junior" then when he's ready to move to heavyweight you have already built him up as an imposing force.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:03 am

While it's been a while since I've tried to follow an entire NJ tour, this tag league has me motivated to give it a shot this time around: lots of subtly-wacky teams in the mix, more opportunities for Despy to shine, the end show they're building up to looks sick so far, and I'm going to be spending an inordinate amount of time a) coming up with a good team name for Alex Shelly's Brothers, and b) hoping they somehow come out to "Beautiful Disaster".

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:52 am

Quite a bit of news coming out today from the official website

Partial card for Power Struggle announced:

JERICHO v EVIL - IWGP Intercontinental Championship
Jericho's gonna get a defense in, then drop it to Naito at WK13

NAITO v ZSJ
Naito gets his singles win back after dropping a couple tournament matches to ZSJ. This is fine, it'll give Naito a big singles win to set up his Jericho match for the IC Strap. ZSJ won't lose anything, his resume this year is already solidified.

Taichi vs Will Ospreay - NEVER Openweight Title
Don't know if this will be anything more than a middling match, but its a necessary step toward Ospreay and . . . KOTA IBUSHI

Okada and Beretta vs Jay White and Bad Luck Fale
Beretta's eating the pin here sadly, but i'm hoping for some brutality between Okada. There should not be a simple lock-up here. Some CHAOS vs BCOG shenanigans are likely to ensue at some point, as well as a low blow and chairshot or three.

Tanahashi & David Finlay vs Golden Lovers
We know how this one is ending. Finlay's eating this pin, but it'll be interesting to see Tanahashi interactions against both Kenny and Kota. Can't remember the last time Kenny and Tanahashi even touched, have there been any since their match in . . . 2016?

We could get Kota pinning Finley and then calling out WILL OSPREAY to setup a WK match . . . is it too early for that? the other major event in between is the World Tag League finals on 12/9/18

Also, they announced the teams for the Junior Tag League, kicking off at Power Struggle

The Champs - Kanemaru and Desperado

Ishimori and Robbie Eagles (BC OG)

Sho and Yo (Roppongi 3K)

Volador Jr. & Soberano Jr.

ACH and Taguchi (Super 69)

Kushida and Chris Sabin

Liger and Tiger Mask

Bushi and Shingo (LIJ)

Looking forward to the debut of Robbie Eagles, and other newcomers Shingo and Taiji will surely get some shine.

Marty Scurll seems like a notable absence given that he was just featured in a singles title match. I thought we might get Marty and Flip as a pseudo BC Elite team. They're the only faction not represented

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:56 am

Frank Olson wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:33 pm

For me the problem with the booking this year is that, while they are doing a lot of things that make business sense and that have even led to some great individual moments, the ways that they've gotten to those points have often felt really forced and inorganic. Also I feel that they've given hot starts to a lot of angles without bringing most of them to a satisfying endpoint.
I think you've hit this on the head directly, especially in light of KOPW's many, many angles. Even something like Jado coming in to slow down Okada before turning on him was forced. Jado could have come out with Gedo the first time when Gedo turned on Okada, and we could have had the Guerrillas / OGz arrival be a lot smoother than it was (even if the idea of Okada dumping CHAOS for OGz was pretty funny). Heck, Jado could have turned at Fighting Spirit Unleashed, or we could have had the Guerrillas / OGz align with the trio at that show and beat down Okada there in the lead up to this show. That whole segment at KOPW felt overbooked as a result.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 am

This is a much better card than KOPW!!!

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:01 pm

Is this the biggest match of Evils career? Will be interesting to see what that match will have in store. Jerichos NJPW matches so far have both been outstanding so a lot of pressure on Evil

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:01 pm
Is this the biggest match of Evils career? Will be interesting to see what that match will have in store. Jerichos NJPW matches so far have both been outstanding so a lot of pressure on Evil
He did main event Sumo Hall against Okada last year but it was the same sort of no chance to win scenario. It’s definitely the second biggest match though just from the stand point that he is getting one of Jericho’s very limited matches.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:16 am

is there any chance in hell EVIL beats Y2J to take the title and sends Y2J to wrestle kingdom off a loss to face Naito?

It would open up EVIL v ZSJ for the IC strap at WK13, and THAT excites me

but i dont think they give Jericho a loss before WK

There's a chance Jericho won't work WK but that would REALLY leave Naito out to dry

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:35 am

Dunno, maybe if Naito involves himself and fucks over Jericho so EVIL gets the title (which we know Naito doesn't care about), but Naito gets the match.

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:36 pm

That actually would work Danwaka, at least in an Americanized sort of way. I don't know if the Japanese audience would respond well to something like that.