NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
armsofsleep

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:54 pm

Not a big fan of some of the NJC choices (of all people................... Colt fuckin Cabana????) but Naito vs Ibushi could be really fun, especially if they do a sort of sprint-y version of their G1 matches.

FYI their G1 match this year was by far the best of the tournament and if you disagree,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fuck you

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:20 am

This NJ Cup field is awesome! There are so many neat matchups possible once you start digging into the bracket.

I am all about Colt v Yano in a comedy WAR

We could get a ZSJ/Suzuki grapplefest

Ospreay/Okada

Ultimately I'd take the safe pick of Ibushi but when i do the bracket i see that his path is CRAZY tough compared to an Okada or Tanahashi. Kota could have to face Naito, ZSJ, Tanahashi, Suzuki, and Ishii/Okada. His part of the bracket is just nuts

meanwhile, Tana gets a young lion in the opener and Okada is getting Mikey Nichols in the 2nd round

I don't see Naito winning because I think a match between Naito and Switchblade is being saved for a Dominion, G1 Final, or future WK

benjaminkicks

Post by benjaminkicks » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:19 am

I've been thinking more about the Naito/Ibushi match, and I think it's purpose might be to set up a rematch for the IC title at MSG.

A lot of people seem to have Ibushi pegged to with the Cup in light of the news of him signing a contract, but I don't think he'll be getting the belt so soon and I don't think White is gonna lose the title on the first defense.

Ibushi/Naito at MSG would give the crowd there a guaranteed awesome match to look forward to, and seeing Ibushi win would provide a feelgood, babyface win before White wins in the main event. Plus it will free Naito up from the IC belt so he can go on to take the heavyweight title from White at Dontaku or Dominion.

That leaves the person winning the Cup and challenging White, and if White retains there I think his challenger should be someone the crowd can get behind but won't think MUST win like one of the top guys. I think you'd get a lot of unhappy fans if they put Okada, Naito, or Ibushi in that spot and they lose to Jay White, who a lot of western fans already think is being pushed too hard.

So I've settled on Ishii being perfect in that spot, or maybe Juice, who would be elevated with the Cup win and would have a natural storyline with White as it'll be a rematch of the awesome match they had for the US title last year in the States.

The nice thing for the company is that the stakes are relatively low regarding who they choose for that spot, because MSG is already sold out and the Cup finals always draws a good number.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:46 am

COMRADEJERICHO

Post by COMRADEJERICHO » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:36 am

David Finlay out of NJC. Any idea who will be the replacement?

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:27 pm

COMRADEJERICHO wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:36 am
David Finlay out of NJC. Any idea who will be the replacement?
Ayato Yoshida? He is about the only guy I can think of who isn’t already in the tournament and isn’t injured.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:14 pm

It'll be TK O'Ryan, clearly.

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:35 pm

Wrote a big long preview of the NJC for this here website: https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2019/ ... s-covered/

I'm very excited for it. Tournaments rule and this year's being a 32-man version opens up a million possibilities.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:49 am

IIDXias wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:35 pm
Wrote a big long preview of the NJC for this here website: https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2019/ ... s-covered/

I'm very excited for it. Tournaments rule and this year's being a 32-man version opens up a million possibilities.
Prediction podcast can't come soon enough...where is it, want it NOW.

My first time participating in the Pick 'Em...super-hyped! You guys might as well make the grand prize a paper crane or key holder, I don't give a shit at this point.

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:56 pm

Here's the live pick 'em Omakase you just mentioned!

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Talked myself into Ishii winning the Cup and facing Jay at MSG

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:47 pm

I have Ishii/Ibushi in the finals with Ibushi going to MSG

No one's gonna complain about that match as a finals matchup, it'll be a 5 star candidate

It saves Ibushi or Naito from burning a matchup with Okada

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 pm

The anniversary show was fun and breezy.

Most importantly I think we have a nice career long rivalry brewing between Ospreay and Jay White. This match rehashed 80% of their spots from their classic sprint at War of the Worlds but they also offered up a few new cool wrinkles such as the Suplex into the post that damaged Will’s ribs. Really wished that they didn’t get so ambitious on the OsCutter reversal at the finish. 9 times out of 10 when people complain that a ugly am ugly counter reversal hurt the match I disagree because I don’t value 100% fluidity over story and ingenuity but this was definitely the 1 of the 10.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Ishimori vs Dragon Lee vs.....Bandido??? HOLLY SHIT.

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 4706397184

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:33 pm

Ishimori vs Dragon Lee vs.....Bandido??? HOLLY SHIT.