NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
jesse

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by jesse » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:39 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote:The downside to this is doesn't Okada look like a chump? He loses the title to Naito, loses in Naito's first defense. Doesn't win G1 and has to beat someone to get the shot. I don't know, I guess you could make it a good story but it's not very glamourous.
Neither is Okada winning 3 G1s in 5 years. Naito's already said Kidani's handed everything to Okada on a golden plate. You have him win the G1 again and it just plays more into that. It doesn't really matter how they get there when it seems very clear the main event of WK is going to be Okada vs Naito anyway.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:18 pm

I'm hoping Naito wins the G1. Further establishes him as the top guy and does away with the silly briefcase and six months of (at least perceived) stagnation of the title picture.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:55 pm

June 24th is the ROH PPV so we will know a lot of about a few people's futures by Monday morning.

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:57 pm

I hope Shibata wins the G1. Naito/Okada 3 in one year would just be so played out and boring.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:22 pm

New of an era:

wac

Post by wac » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Is there any chance of Okada winning at Dominion and Naito winning the G1?

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:03 pm

wac wrote:Is there any chance of Okada winning at Dominion and Naito winning the G1?
It's New Japan. There's a chance of anything.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:13 pm

wac wrote:Is there any chance of Okada winning at Dominion and Naito winning the G1?
It would seem weird. Naito has a ton of momentum and is over. I'd be really surprised if they put the belt back on Okada already but Naito has never been over in Osaka.

I just hope we don't get a weird Kidani interference angle.....

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:24 pm

I think the fans might even turn on Okada if he won the belt off Naito at Dominion. They do love Okada, but you always have to be careful about the "force feeding" angle. You don't even have to force feed someone, but if fans get that in their heads they'll could be out a #1 babyface until they let Okada be a dick for a while.

Naito's white-hot right now. Keep it on him and see where things go. I actually love the idea of Naito winning the G1, but I'm doubtful they'll do it. Might not be the smartest move anyways.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Now that nobody longer cares, here's my BOSJ top 10:

1. KUSHIDA vs Kyle O'Reilly
2. Ospreay vs Taguchi
3. THE MATCH
4. KUSHIDA vs Taguchi
5. O'Reilly vs Romero
6. Ospreay vs Fish
7. Taguchi vs Sydal
8. Volador Jr vs Fish
9. Gedo vs KUSHIDA
10. Gedo vs Finlay

Very good tournament, I could easily make a top 15 off the top of my head.

Re: Dominion - The LIJ angle and Naito's prick character gives them so many outs I kind of don't see Okada winning. Shenanigans and interference in the main event will give some people shit to gripe about (and for NEVER and Jr Heavyweight champs to throw shade on, as their prestigious titles don't suffer any interference) but it worked at Invasion Attack just fine, still giving us an intense match that was fun to watch. In my eyes, LIJ vs Chaos is even hotter now than a month ago, so it'll add to an already hot feud.

I'm very invested in either outcome, which means I care a lot, but don't mind either result. If Okada wins, Naito can give his fuck you to Kidani by winning G1, the biggest tournament of the year - fits him and the storyline perfectly. He can blame the Osaka crowd if he wants to, and it'll make decent storyline sense. If Naito wins, Okada can gain momentum until the Dome - predictable perhaps, but still great entertainment since we get some more dickish Naito promos and Okada is typically better when he's in pursuit. Somebody not those two winning G1 would be refreshing and completely out of left field, and I'd probably love it, but I'm not one to really get annoyed that a planned long-term storyline plays out predictably if it's a story well told.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Garuda wrote: Naito's white-hot right now. Keep it on him and see where things go.

Superkix

Post by Superkix » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:00 pm

Shibata's due for a G1 win.

wac

Post by wac » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Garuda wrote:I think the fans might even turn on Okada if he won the belt off Naito at Dominion. They do love Okada, but you always have to be careful about the "force feeding" angle. You don't even have to force feed someone, but if fans get that in their heads they'll could be out a #1 babyface until they let Okada be a dick for a while.

Naito's white-hot right now. Keep it on him and see where things go. I actually love the idea of Naito winning the G1, but I'm doubtful they'll do it. Might not be the smartest move anyways.
Oh, I think it would be a mistake, I'm just trying to think of possibilities besides Okada winning the G1.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:59 pm

wac wrote:
Garuda wrote:I think the fans might even turn on Okada if he won the belt off Naito at Dominion. They do love Okada, but you always have to be careful about the "force feeding" angle. You don't even have to force feed someone, but if fans get that in their heads they'll could be out a #1 babyface until they let Okada be a dick for a while.

Oh, I think it would be a mistake, I'm just trying to think of possibilities besides Okada winning the G1.

Oh, didn't mean that as any kind of a put-down. I've been trying to think them up too. But as I've said before, New Japan usually chooses the most obvious route and then does a good job making it way more interesting then you'd think. On paper it seems super boring for Okada to win and challenge at the Dome. But Okada/Naito is the only match they've got for Naito unless Tanahashi had some retirement angle.

Something under-discussed: What's Omega's next move? He, too, will need a hot challenger. If Tanahashi goes off the table, I wonder who they put against him. This is a way more plausible slot for Shibata, in my eyes. I don't think there's a chance Shibata wins the g1 and challenges Naito.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:18 pm

One thing I can say for New Japan is that for the most part every pinfall,every submission victory means something and it all adds up in the big picture.Like Goto as IC champ defeating Okada,giving some legitimacy to Goto as champ,increasing credibility of IC championship and made sense because New Beginning in Osaka saw Goto challenge for Okada's title. This is just one instance of many such things they do.
Omega,Shibata,Okada are possibilities.Maybe even Tanahashi.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/