NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
GuestTimekeeper

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:48 am

jesse wrote:Shibata is the NEVER champ. His next match is against Honma. He's not winning the G1. Love yourself more than that. Don't do this.
I'm not a guy who has gotten behind Shibata before, just seems like he's being built up for something. A win this year is unlikely, but not impossible with the reception this run against the new japan dad's has gotten.

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:46 am

NJPW just put up the cards for the Kizuna Road tour. Notable points of interest.

* G1 Climax 26 announcements (participants, blocks) on 6/27 @ Korakuen during intermission (we knew this already)
* Okada/Ospreay vs. Naito/BUSHI on 6/27 @ Korakuen
* Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs. Tomoaki Honma for the NEVER Openweight Championship on July 3rd @ Iwate
* The Elite (c) vs. Kojima, Sydal & Ricochet for the NEVER 6-Man belts on 7/3
* CHAOS (Okada, Goto, YOSHI & Ospreay) vs. LIDJ elimination 8-man tag on 7/3
* The new junior Young Lions are conspicuously absent, as David Finlay's wrestling established juniors in singles matches on most days (Taguchi, Sydal, Chase Owens)

I think there's a non-zero chance that Honma wins. It depends on how much Gedo wants people to think that Shibata's got a shot of winning the G1. If Shibata still has the NEVER, zero chance. If not, non-zero but small chance. Honma gets more out of winning it than Shibata does of holding it, in the long run he's doing bigger and better things.
Last edited by EvanDeadlySins on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:48 am

What is up with those young lions? We haven't seen three of them since January if I remember correctly. Also, kinda of surprised they're not moving on from Dominion by putting Team Dad against the Elite for the NEVER titles. Keeping the #TeamDadRevolution going, ya know?

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:42 am

Danwaka wrote:What is up with those young lions? We haven't seen three of them since January if I remember correctly. Also, kinda of surprised they're not moving on from Dominion by putting Team Dad against the Elite for the NEVER titles. Keeping the #TeamDadRevolution going, ya know?
Yohei and Sho left for Mexico in January and won't be back for a long time. Jay just left (Dominion being his send off). David is going home at least for a little while, no idea if he is coming back or not. The two smaller new guys are on every show. The big heavyweights are probably so green that it isn't an idea to bring them along yet.

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:56 am

PKThree wrote:Yohei and Sho left for Mexico in January and won't be back for a long time. Jay just left (Dominion being his send off). David is going home at least for a little while, no idea if he is coming back or not. The two smaller new guys are on every show. The big heavyweights are probably so green that it isn't an idea to bring them along yet.
The two smaller new guys haven't been on a show in over a month.

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:01 pm

EvanDeadlySins wrote:
I think there's a non-zero chance that Honma wins. It depends on how much Gedo wants people to think that Shibata's got a shot of winning the G1. If Shibata still has the NEVER, zero chance. If not, non-zero but small chance. Honma gets more out of winning it than Shibata does of holding it, in the long run he's doing bigger and better things.
There's no chance Honma's winning that match. They wouldn't blow Honma's first singles belt win on effectively a house show. Shibata isn't winning the G1 no matter how many people want it to be true.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: Gedo's booking:

1. They book for a Japanese audience, not a North American one. Many of us either forget or fail to understand what that means. The Japanese audience wants different things out of their stories, even if it is only subtly different at times. Sometimes though, it's more different than that.

2. Those differences are part of the reason why I love watching NJPW - I have NO idea who is going to win usually. Yeah, I can make educated guesses, but half the time my western mindset talks me into thinking something is obvious when, in long view hindsight, the opposite was the only thing that made sense. Was I surprised Naito lost in his 2nd defence? Yes. But it's New Japan - when was the last time a new champ had a long run? Remember when Okada lost it back to Tanahashi and everyone thought the 'experiment' had failed? That seems like a dumb thought now doesn't it?

3. We're talking about a title which the record length of a reign is about 13 months, and the record number of defences is 11. I point this out to say that NO ONE gets really long reigns. Part of the Japanese story expectation is that no one can last THAT long as a champion as it is just too hard to do so. And they seem to really enjoy the former champion making a comeback to regain the title. Expect Naito to do that later this year at some point. Expect to see Okada do it several more times in his career. Sometime in 2017 or 2018, someone else will win for the first time and have a really short reign.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:15 pm

EvanDeadlySins wrote:I think there's a non-zero chance that Honma wins. It depends on how much Gedo wants people to think that Shibata's got a shot of winning the G1. If Shibata still has the NEVER, zero chance. If not, non-zero but small chance. Honma gets more out of winning it than Shibata does of holding it, in the long run he's doing bigger and better things.
While Naito wasn't holding the NEVER title when he won the G1 back in 2013, he did win it afterwards and still fought for the UWGP title at the Tokyo Dome despite being NEVER champ too. Now I'm not saying this means Shibata is gonna win the G1, I just think it's not completely out of the realm of possibility. There's also a scenario where he wins the G1 and then gives up the NEVER title to focus on chasing the big belt.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:47 pm

The NEVER title was treated much differently when Naito had it though, there was a time when it was Gedo's gift to Masato Tanaka cus they were boys. Now it's something relied on to headline shows and has been used as a third/fourth from the top match at the dome.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:45 pm

Shining Wiz wrote:Re: Gedo's booking:

1. They book for a Japanese audience, not a North American one. Many of us either forget or fail to understand what that means. The Japanese audience wants different things out of their stories, even if it is only subtly different at times. Sometimes though, it's more different than that.

2. Those differences are part of the reason why I love watching NJPW - I have NO idea who is going to win usually. Yeah, I can make educated guesses, but half the time my western mindset talks me into thinking something is obvious when, in long view hindsight, the opposite was the only thing that made sense. Was I surprised Naito lost in his 2nd defence? Yes. But it's New Japan - when was the last time a new champ had a long run? Remember when Okada lost it back to Tanahashi and everyone thought the 'experiment' had failed? That seems like a dumb thought now doesn't it?

3. We're talking about a title which the record length of a reign is about 13 months, and the record number of defences is 11. I point this out to say that NO ONE gets really long reigns. Part of the Japanese story expectation is that no one can last THAT long as a champion as it is just too hard to do so. And they seem to really enjoy the former champion making a comeback to regain the title. Expect Naito to do that later this year at some point. Expect to see Okada do it several more times in his career. Sometime in 2017 or 2018, someone else will win for the first time and have a really short reign.
This is a really great post.

wac

Post by wac » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:00 am

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:37 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Shining Wiz wrote:Re: Gedo's booking:

This is a really great post.
Thank you, sir.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:45 pm

ceftaxias wrote:The NEVER title was treated much differently when Naito had it though, there was a time when it was Gedo's gift to Masato Tanaka cus they were boys. Now it's something relied on to headline shows and has been used as a third/fourth from the top match at the dome.
Definitely a fair point.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Kidani said he feels when Nakamura left..Strong-Style faded from existence. So to him it's very now American styled completely, so he is bringing Shinya Aoki to revive it.

Shibata and Nagata have also been talking about reviving it too. There's something about Njpw sales being 10 percent down but not really sure, could be why.

Personally I think fight orientated style still has worth to lapsed fans and causals who won't watch or pay for the show to tap into.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:01 pm

New Japan is often very good about having a variety of styles throughout their cards. My favorite thing about WK9 was how every match felt distinct from every other match. It follows that they'd want to keep their style diversity by making sure they had a couple Strong Style-type workers in their pool.