NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Jacob's Bawks

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:07 pm

Titan has always impressed. I really hope he gets an extended stay, but gets treated better than Mascara Dorada.

Could be nerves, could be inexperience, but RPG 3K are showing a few cracks they need to mend if they're going to be pushed so hard. Either that, or learn fast. I agree with Jojo that YOH hasn't changed a bit and is a little bit awkward in the role. Weird, because wasn't Yohei considered the future star of the two? Either way I like the lads but I'm less comfortable with the idea of them winning the tag league now. Hiromu/BUSHI would be great opponents and guys to learn from.

Every time I get excited in thinking about Suzuki's potential WK opponent, I remember he and Goto are on opposite sides on every match this tour and Goto's not one to go without a big match at WK. Shitsucksfam.

Still, this time last year the IWGP, IC, and NEVER matches seemed set in stone (NEVER match being Shibata/Shiozaki before Maru sold NOAH). Right now the IWGP match is the only one confirmed. You have several different possibilities for every other title which excites me. It's worth noting that the WK12 poster was just released and rather than feature half the roster it has Okada, Naito, SANADA, EVIL, Goto, Ishii, Tana, Omega, and Suzuki. No obligatory Tama Tonga or Makabe sightings so I'm hoping EVIL and SANADA get good spots and Ishii isn't without direction.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:42 am

Jacob's Bawks wrote:Every time I get excited in thinking about Suzuki's potential WK opponent, I remember he and Goto are on opposite sides on every match this tour and Goto's not one to go without a big match at WK. Shitsucksfam.
Your words have put this evil (decidedly non-capitalized evil) into the universe, so I'm knocking wood and hoping it doesn't happen. Does everybody else remember the speculation that Sabre Jr was gonna turn on his SZG brethren to lead to a match at the Dome? It's not looking likely, and while I love the Despy-Zack friendship, I could sacrifice it for a Suzuki/Sabre match.
Still, this time last year the IWGP, IC, and NEVER matches seemed set in stone (NEVER match being Shibata/Shiozaki before Maru sold NOAH). Right now the IWGP match is the only one confirmed. You have several different possibilities for every other title which excites me. It's worth noting that the WK12 poster was just released and rather than feature half the roster it has Okada, Naito, SANADA, EVIL, Goto, Ishii, Tana, Omega, and Suzuki. No obligatory Tama Tonga or Makabe sightings so I'm hoping EVIL and SANADA get good spots and Ishii isn't without direction.
Narrator: Ishii will be without direction.

It does seem weird. Usually you can see things coming ten miles off by November but I'm genuinely lost as to where they're going with most of these programs beyond Power Struggle. I guess last year PS ended up a pretty much nothing show so this year it's filled to the brim with intrigue because it's more or less the deadline for all of these programs to start. How many curveballs is Gedo thinking of throwing?

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:41 am

I didn't get a chance to watch yesterday's Road To show until tonight, but what a show! That was the best non-G1/non-Best of the Super Junior Korakuen in recent memory.

Obviously the two Junior Tag Tournament matches were the highlights, but don't sleep on the Tanahashi/Makabe/Kitamura vs. Ibushi/Juice/Finlay match. Tanahashi has a well-earned reputation for sleepwalking through tag matches, but for whatever reason he's really working hard in all of these tag matches against Ibushi. Their interactions together are getting me really pumped for their upcoming IC Title match. Juice and Finlay are a really fun team, and they seem to be working on some double team moves in preparation for the World Tag League. But Kitamura really came off as the star of this match, and I would say that this is the best performance I've seen from him to date.

I also really enjoyed the Taguchi/ACH/Liger/Tiger vs. Suzukigun juniors match. The Suzukigun shenanigans were kept to a minimum and it was just a fun, fast-paced match. It's funny, I never cared much for ACH in Ring of Honor, because it always seemed like he was content just to be a goofy high spot guy, but I love him in New Japan. I guess he's just one of those wrestlers who is more suited to working in Japan than the States for whatever reason. I thought the post-match beatdown was actually very well done too, adding some heat to next weekend's tournament matches.

Roppongi 3K vs. KUSHIDA/Kawato was a lot of fun. Where the hell did that beautiful tope of Kawato's come from? It looked like he was shot out of a canon or something. I understand the complaints about YOH and SHO being somewhat awkward in their party boy gimmick, but I actually find the goofiness of it all really charming. Whenever SHO does his crooked grin and waves his three fingers I throw the three fingers right back at the screen, because I am an idiot. I agree with the consensus around here that SHO is coming off as the star of the team so far. He has a really interesting hybrid style, where he can go from high flying to grappling to power moves at the drop of a hat. I really hope that Gedo puts he and KUSHIDA in the same Super Juniors block next year, because I think they could have an amazing singles match together.

Hiromu/BUSHI vs. Dragon Lee/Titan was an awesome spotfest. That Doomsday MX is a really devastating looking finisher.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:30 am

Since everyone seems to have seen the latest Road To show, I gotta ask, what the hell is up Bushi stealing the mic from Hiromu and Hiromu pouting like a child? Whenever Lanza or Colin Miller has complained about Daryl I didn't take them seriously but honestly that segment doesn't really add to Hiromu's story( assuming these failed challenges lead to Hiromu snapping and putting the boots to the Jr champ and any potential challengers so that he can actually get the WK challenge). Having Bushi bully Hiromu for the sake of comedy is pushing it because there is no payoff for that.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:23 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:Titan has always impressed. I really hope he gets an extended stay, but gets treated better than Mascara Dorada.

Could be nerves, could be inexperience, but RPG 3K are showing a few cracks they need to mend if they're going to be pushed so hard. Either that, or learn fast. I agree with Jojo that YOH hasn't changed a bit and is a little bit awkward in the role. Weird, because wasn't Yohei considered the future star of the two? Either way I like the lads but I'm less comfortable with the idea of them winning the tag league now. Hiromu/BUSHI would be great opponents and guys to learn from.
I can't speak for everyone else but I thought Komatsu was the clear future star among that crop of Young Lions. Only a few months into his career he looked so refined and so polished. However, he's stalled and has definitely been passed up by Sho. It started showing before they left for excursion and it's holding up now that their back.

I like RPG 3k and I think both guys are super talented but the team both in look and feel, seem out of place in NJPW. They could really use a little refining.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Yeah RPG 3K definitely need to keep improving in order to not get lost in the shuffle. The way that first match was booked was a little baffling. They debut to the huge pop, hit the stereo dives, and then work a pretty methodical (for the division) heel style for most of the match until the finish sequence. I get that they will be tweeners, but it was a weird choice for their debut match.

Goat

Post by Goat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:29 pm

On Twitter Strigga posted Shibata's recent blog. He isn't doing that great at the moment.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:50 pm

Goat wrote:On Twitter Strigga posted Shibata's recent blog. He isn't doing that great at the moment.
TBH when I read it I felt like I was being worked for a dozen different reasons.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:02 pm

I really have zero ideas who Tana's opponent at Wrestle Kingdom could be. I could be wrong, but I really don't think Shibata is returning.
I can only think of whoever this switchblade character being the one who challenges Tana for the IC, which doesn't sound particularly appealing and also not marquee enough to be second from the top.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:00 pm

I read the blog and it seems to me he's doing well, relatively speaking. The season changes are having its effects but he's realizing his limits and his limitations and coming to terms with the fact that he can't rush things, which I think is very good.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:12 am

I am actually very much in on RPG3K (woke up humming the theme song this morning, it is super catchy), I maybe sounded more negative than intended because I wanted to bring up Jojo's very good point from the review. Sometimes these things come down to something as simple as finding their key spots, their signatures which the crowd latches onto, or finding a way to chant their names in a way that fits the Japanese audiences' style of chanting. It's like with any performer - you need to find your greatest hits so any fan can recognize them, enjoy them and go home happy knowing they've seen Kojima do his machine gun chops, or Taichi take off his pants or Okada do his kip-up. I think every post-excursion debut has to have that adjustment period. Just watch an EVIL match from early 2016 and watch one from now and hear now the crowd reacts to something as simple as his rolling elbow or corner lariat.

The Shibata update is heartwrenching but probably reflects the situation well; recovery is never a simple linear path, especially with issues as complicated as his. There will be progress made but also setbacks.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:00 pm

I very much enjoy RP 3K. They do need refining, but their gimmick, look and move set are all very appealing to me at the moment. I do agree Sho has surpassed Yo currently but I really enjoy them both and expect big things from them in the future. It's still very early for them both.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:49 pm

I saw a poll on Twitter that asked what most people thought WK's attendance would be and it got me thinking, with tickets flying as they are (first to ticket levels almost/completely gone), what does everyone here think the attendance for WK12 could be? The 35-39k option won out, but I'm thinking it'll be shy of 30k.

The poll I'm talking about:

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:53 am

So Sami Callihan showed up on Impact TV to back up the oVe at Bound For Glory.