NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
suplexberry

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by suplexberry » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:42 am

Juice deleted his social media (well, insta and twitter, idk if he has anything else).

The plot thickens. (And maybe my Switchblade Army fantasy-booking wasn't that far off and this does start a whole new faction?)

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Maybe Juice signs up with David and Jay to form this Switchblade Army?

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:34 pm

Even if LiJ becomes fully face that's a lot of heel units. I'm not so sure. And it feels like it'd be pretty close to Suzuki-gun. Maybe they destroy it?

I'll believe it when I see it.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm genuinely more hyped for Kenny/Trent? than Tana/Ibushi. Trent? has been under the radar great for so long, and I cannot wait for him to show what he can do against Omega.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:04 pm

It seems a little early for Beretta to already be getting a US Title shot against Omega, but I'm glad to have another exciting match set up for Power Struggle.

Both of the Jr Tag Tournament matches from today's show felt a little long to me. As others have pointed out, the Suzukigun juniors have been working a lot harder lately and relying less on tired heel shtick (I'm even slowly coming around on Taichi, at least as a prelim wrestler) but they still aren't guys I really want to see in lengthy, competitive matches.

I'm hyped for both of tomorrow's tournament matches, and also for the finals at Power Struggle, which I'm presuming will be Roppongi 3K vs. Super 69.

With the Jr Tag Tournament finals, Omega vs. Beretta, Ospreay vs. Scurll, and Tanahashi vs. Ibushi Power Struggle is really shaping up to be an excellent show.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:01 am

Press conference/contract signings for Power Struggle are tomorrow, I believe before the Korakuen show. I'm hoping the IWGP Tag Titles are defended so we get to round-out what could be a very packed show.

Being in Osaka, I think now's a great time to put Trent in a situation to shine solo. Osaka for PS last year made Yoshitatsu and Bone Soldier exchanges exciting. Whether it's a PWG-style match or a more standard Puro match this could and should hit all the right marks given the guys involved and the crowd will accentuate the work. It'll hit the 15-20 minute sweet spot I'm hoping since it's most certainly not going to be the headliner.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:31 pm

So Osaka gets Ricochet vs Eita, Mochizuki vs Susumu on friday and Ospreay vs Scurll, Omega vs Trent and Tanahashi vs Ibushi on sunday, I am kinda jealous you know

Trent/Omega is a nice surprise, didn't see that coming honestly, it is going to be interesting whether they are giving Omega a win to set-up a certain match with the participant of the main event, or someone else will step in to challenge him and we will all be wrong. But the floor for the match itself is like ****, those guys are that good.

Goat

Post by Goat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:42 am

Full Card

IC Title - Tanahashi vs Ibushi
US Title - Omega vs Baretta
Never Title Bullrope Match - Suzuki vs Yano
Jr Title - Ospreay vs Scurll
Super Jr Tag Final - Roppongi 3K vs Super 69
Okada/Goto/Ishii/Yoshi-Hashi/Gedo vs Los Ingobernables de Japon
Makabe/Tenzan/Kojima vs Cody/Yujiro/Owens
Juice/Kushida/Liger/Tiger/Kawato vs ZSJ/Despy/Taichi/Taka/Kanemaru
Finlay vs Kitamura
Young Bucks vs Dragon Lee/Titan

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 am

Goat wrote:Full Card

IC Title - Tanahashi vs Ibushi
US Title - Omega vs Baretta
Never Title Bullrope Match - Suzuki vs Yano
Jr Title - Ospreay vs Scurll
Super Jr Tag Final - Roppongi 3K vs Super 69
Okada/Goto/Ishii/Yoshi-Hashi/Gedo vs Los Ingobernables de Japon
Makabe/Tenzan/Kojima vs Cody/Yujiro/Owens
Juice/Kushida/Liger/Tiger/Kawato vs ZSJ/Despy/Taichi/Taka/Kanemaru
Finlay vs Kitamura
Young Bucks vs Dragon Lee/Titan
This card looks amazing. I am into everything except old guys vs. Bullet Club C-team and the bullrope match. Bullet Club are pretty much never involved with the Fantasticamania stuff and are never really sent to CMLL, so Young Bucks vs. Dragon Lee/Titan will be a rare treat (and will probably be pretty short given how many matches are on this card, which I think will actually work to the benefit of both teams' styles). Interesting that Finlay and Kitamura get a singles match too, and that it is apparently not going on first.

All this plus the debut of the Switchblade guy. My guess is that it's Jay White and he challenges Suzuki after the NEVER match, but we'll see.

Interesting that the Heavyweight Tag Titles are not represented at all, though I guess in some ways that's a step up from seeing yet another 3-way.

Young Bucks vs. Dragon Lee/Titan, Super Jr Tag Finals, Ospreay vs. Scurll, and Omega vs. Baretta all have a chance to be great, and I think anything less than MOTYC quality for the main event will be a shock.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:31 am

This really is a stacked card and while you can see the tea leaves when it comes to the junior tag and singles titles, the rest of the singles titles feel will finally get some clarity about their WK fates. A show where match quality and story progression are ensured is the best show I can ask for.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:12 am

Real Neat Puro put up another brilliant video breaking down NJPW booking:

You know it's good when even a "scarcely a day goes by when I don't think about NJPW booking" nerd like me has some new thoughts inspired by the video. I think we all kind of have an inkling on where the beginning of next year is headed and honestly I am looking forward to it.

I've loved the Super Jr Tag tournament thus far and I think the final will deliver, too. Every match has just been fun and often unique. I loved the Tiger/Liger vicious bout against Despy and Kanemaru, and RPG3k vs Hiromu/BUSHI was great, too. Still, for sentimental reasons I think my fave thus far has been Kawato/Kushi vs RPG3K.

The card on Sunday looks dope. Not show of the year perhaps but definitely a top tier B-event. Plus Omega in the semi gives me hope for Ibushi/Omega once more. I can't wait.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:52 am

And people actually were thinking Sami Callihan was switchblade

Goat

Post by Goat » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:25 pm

So Power Struggle is over and this is what we know

Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito
Kenny Omega vs Chris Jericho
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Jay White
Marty Scurll vs Will Ospreay vs KUSHIDA vs Hiromu Takahashi
Roppangi 3k vs The Young Bucks

So what happens with everyone else?

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:27 pm

For me still, the biggest news is not Jericho, not Ibushi and Tana delivering a top tier MOTYC, it's Jay F'n White coming back from excursion and re-debuting in a semi-main event of Wrestle Kingdom, against Hiroshi Tanahashi, in a IWGP IC title match. Like wow, that's just kinda surreal for the guy. And I kinda fear for him, because in this spot to not deliver, especially looking at the past IC title matches at the Dome, would be just kinda bad looking. Even the "Okada monster push" began with him beating Yoshi-Hashi in an undercard match at WK, then beating Tanahashi on a smaller show and then finally headlining WK a year later. Happy for Jay, this is a HUGE spot, we will see how he does. Also if Kamaitachi comes back like that, if Tempura Boyz return and go undefeated in the fucking Jr. tag division, if White debuts like this, what the fuck are they going to do with Kitamura?

Only thing I am mad at is the 4 way, like it will probably end up being a **** 1/2 match, but..really, a 4 way? It just makes all the work they've done with the belt with Hiromu and Kushida kinda meaningless imo, also Ospreay losing the belt in the 1st defense..ugh.

So Suzuki is either facing Ishii or Ibushi..right? The WTL blocks will tell us a lot. So that'd be 6, 7th match is K.E.S vs either Ishii & Goto, Cobb and someone, or maybe it is Juice and Finlay? 8th match is trios match, 9th is Cody/Castle vs someone for the ROH belt, 10th is hopefully a special singles match.

The Kevstaaa

Post by The Kevstaaa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Omega/Jericho and Tanahashi/White are certainly intriguing. Young Bucks getting the Dome title shot just makes me yawn. The four way was surprising because I expected Ospreay to retain and then get a three way at WK12. Putting the title on Scurll feels like one of those Gedo tropes where he just moves titles for the sake of it sometimes.