The JOSHI thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
themib

Re: The JOSHI thread

Post by themib » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:04 am

And cue panic at STARDOM - per Meltzer, Kairi Hojo is signing a three year WWE deal, Io Shirai is mulling over signing, she's reportedly going to Orlando over Mania Weekend but not wrestling on any shows, and Mayu Iwatani will be retiring at the end of the year. She was supposed to win the World of STARDOM Title in December, but it was scrapped when she told them she was planning to retiring and they thought Shirai was staying.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:02 pm

the 3 aces gone? damn son.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:38 pm

I don't expect the sub niche joshi market to exist in 20 years.

JML

Post by JML » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:41 pm

I said it on twitter before but Threedom leaving is a huge blow but it won't put Stardom out of business. They still have young talent like Toni Storm, Yoko Bito, Jungle, Momo, Hana, Konami, Kagestu, HZK, and Kris Wolf. They will continue to funnel women that do WWE tryouts and they will be ok.

JML

Post by JML » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Dragonzombie wrote:I don't expect the sub niche joshi market to exist in 20 years.
2000s Joshi was in worse shape than it is now.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:21 pm

There is the upcoming tryout with Women of Honor, so that should produce some new talent for them as well.

JML

Post by JML » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:25 pm

The underrated part of this story is who is gonna be the new trainer for Stardom. Io and Kairi were the trainers once Nanae left. Fuka trains the Rookies but who trains the rest of the roster and that foreign talent coming in. Nothing personal against the foreigners but a lot of them aren't that good coming into Stardom. Toni Storm has benefited a lot from the training.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:34 pm

JML wrote:I said it on twitter before but Threedom leaving is a huge blow but it won't put Stardom out of business. They still have young talent like Toni Storm, Yoko Bito, Jungle, Momo, Hana, Konami, Kagestu, HZK, and Kris Wolf. They will continue to funnel women that do WWE tryouts and they will be ok.
Historically they've weathered departures well. How is the question.

rollup

Post by rollup » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Yoko Bito also underwent hand surgery recently , not sure if she will work through the injury though

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:23 am

JML

Post by JML » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Other than Dave and Joshi fans on the various social platforms, this hasn't been a big enough story. Someone is a top 10 or top 20 wrestler in the world and a centerpiece of her home promotion was at the PC and WWE is trying to hide it. They hid it well with others like La Sombra but I feel like people haven't gone in depth with the story other than people that follow Joshi.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Manami Toyota announced today that she is retiring in November due to various injury issues. Her last show will be on November 3rd.

Very happy I managed to see her wrestle live last year, otherwise I would have missed out forever. One of the greatest of all time without question.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:08 pm

:(

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:11 pm

AJW used to have the WWWA World Women's Championship, which was one of two successors to the original World Women's Championship. The other successor was the NWA World Women's Championship which Fabulous Moolah sold to WWE but was also reactivated by the NWA, so there's two competing claimants there.

My question regarding the WWWA version: was it the top title in AJW or was it something more of a secondary title?

JML

Post by JML » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Danwaka wrote:AJW used to have the WWWA World Women's Championship, which was one of two successors to the original World Women's Championship. The other successor was the NWA World Women's Championship which Fabulous Moolah sold to WWE but was also reactivated by the NWA, so there's two competing claimants there.

My question regarding the WWWA version: was it the top title in AJW or was it something more of a secondary title?
It was the top title in AJW.