The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
cbacon87

Re: The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Post by cbacon87 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:04 pm

It was very ITV. If you kept the TV on for Ninja Warrior afterwards the set-up felt and looked very similar. I've no idea if there's any sort of demand for what they presented or how it'll do business wise.

The thing I most took away from it was that JR was really lively. I would say almost to the point of self-parody, but I think that's just because he dropped all of his catchphrases into the one show and maybe that's unfair. But he was very animated. Apparently that's not been the case on his New Japan stuff and his latter WWE stuff certainly wasn't the same, but fair play, he wasn't holding back here.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Show apparently did 1.25 million, which was a major drop from the lead in and follow up (both did around 2 million). Still, the show's appeal would have been to 18 - 35 who would have been out on the night, and the show still did quite well against a pair of major football games and cleared the bar mightily for ITV's lowest rating in the slot at around 300,000 for a movie showing.

Cabel

Post by Cabel » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:14 pm

How big was the WOS ring? Seemed gigantic to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:53 pm

20x20, so WWE size. Big time, big ring, I guess is the thinking there.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:58 pm

The show was pretty much what I expected so I will not complain about it. Thought it was fine with the usual suspects of Ligero, Gibson, Mastiff, Williams and Joe Coffey keeping me interested. The format of the show was fine but it was very ITV. The rating isn't the worst it could have been so I hope it gets picked up and alot of wrestlers get paid.

I do wish they didn't go all out with Grado on the first show though. He is a shell of his 2013 peak when he doesn't get his entrance music and I doubt most casual viewers would have been turned off by it. I assumed people figured this out from his TNA run..

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:45 am

I'm not gonna lie, lads.

Dave Mastiff and Viper are very oddly shaped people. They're bulky but otherwise have very little size on their arms, which is a strange contrast.

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:15 am

WoS was exactly what I thought it'd be: clean, disposable, family friendly professional wrestling. The work was okay (though I really enjoyed Gibson vs. Ligero) and it looked incredibly slick. The lively crowd definitely added to the experience too. I think the best thing about it is that I was able to watch it with the old man (who watched the Joint Promotions back in the day) without having to engage my brain too much, which is probably exactly what ITV intended.

It did feel like I was watching an episode of Take Me Out or Family Fortunes, though. Gameshow graps. JR was okay, but some of his calls were a little outlandish: I like DBS Jr. as much as the next guy, but calling his arrival "an out of body experience?" Nah, mate. Camera changes were dizzying at times, too.

Can't say it's something I'd pay close attention to on a weekly basis but I'd probably tune-in and fast forward through the uninteresting bits.

Padje

Post by Padje » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:22 am

Murrr wrote:WoS was exactly what I thought it'd be: clean, disposable, family friendly professional wrestling. The work was okay (though I really enjoyed Gibson vs. Ligero) and it looked incredibly slick. The lively crowd definitely added to the experience too. I think the best thing about it is that I was able to watch it with the old man (who watched the Joint Promotions back in the day) without having to engage my brain too much, which is probably exactly what ITV intended.

It did feel like I was watching an episode of Take Me Out or Family Fortunes, though. Gameshow graps. JR was okay, but some of his calls were a little outlandish: I like DBS Jr. as much as the next guy, but calling his arrival "an out of body experience?" Nah, mate. Camera changes were dizzying at times, too.

Can't say it's something I'd pay close attention to on a weekly basis but I'd probably tune-in and fast forward through the uninteresting bits.
The camerawork was incredible. Like the people controlling them did not expect anybody in shot to move at any point.

The Grado/Mastiff analogue for Big Daddy/Giant Haystacks got cringier when Alex Shane actually mentioned that's what they were doing. Did anyone catch Zack Gibson's performance on Good Morning Britain last week? The entire WoS show should've been built around him as the main heel. He's so confident and quick witted in character, perhaps the ONLY person in BritWres at his level.

My big question in the WWE/UK promotions affair is when does WWE try and sign Jim Smallman?

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:26 am

Padje

Post by Padje » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:15 am

Will Ospreay has been booked for Easter Monday in new promotion Lucha Forever in Birmingham. Has any UK indy match during Ospreay's NJPW run been advertised this far in advance? Does this suggest Ospreay is definitely not reupping when his contract comes to an end at the start of April?

Tickets are on sale now although no venue has actually been announced. Should be a good show based on the names (Pete Dunne, Travis Banks, El Ligero etc), and also promoter/wrestler Ryan Smile's last promotion Pro Wrestling Kingdom had a lot of interesting ideas and tricks, utilising a theatre room which could be brought down to absolute darkness (Joe Conners was doing some Undertaker business)

Edited to add: lot of promotions coming to Birmingham this year. Kamikaze Pro (who stretched out into Coventry in 2016) are now venue sharing with a debuting Southside in January. Obviously there's 2 PROGRESS shows lined up, the first of which has sold out. Fight Club Pro would own the town if they moved here.

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:28 am

Padje wrote:Will Ospreay has been booked for Easter Monday in new promotion Lucha Forever in Birmingham. Has any UK indy match during Ospreay's NJPW run been advertised this far in advance? Does this suggest Ospreay is definitely not reupping when his contract comes to an end at the start of April?
Doubtful, just a big name to draw people to the debut of a new promotion.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Ospreay's signed for two years, his deal doesn't come up until April 2018.

Padje

Post by Padje » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:54 pm

themib wrote:Ospreay's signed for two years, his deal doesn't come up until April 2018.
Wow. That's great news for me. I'll get to see him live even more.

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:35 pm

Mark Andrews added to the WWE UK Championship tournament. Very interesting development and I could definitely see him making the semi-finals at least.

Padje

Post by Padje » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:43 pm

VilinskiKonjic wrote:Mark Andrews added to the WWE UK Championship tournament. Very interesting development and I could definitely see him making the semi-finals at least.
Absolutely brilliant news. Outside of the semis and the final, I was concerned the matches would be poor compared to the CWC. He's gotta be the best or second best wrestler in the entire tournament now.

I went to the wiki to see who he was replacing and it turns out there are 19 names listed anyway(?!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Unite ... Tournament

My pick for breakout of the tournament is Dan Moloney. I think he's going to take people by surprise.