The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
RobViper13

Re: The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Post by RobViper13 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:55 pm

It was a fine show to spend 2 hours if you have nothing else to do. You'd have to be really stretching or just a homer to say anything was better than very good & some matches were certainly below average. The crowd was the star, always best to watch wrestling with hot crowds who are actively into what they are watching which this crowd certainly seemed to be. Different than NXT Takeover crowds where it certainly feels like most of the time they are going through a checklist of chants.

Tomorrow my expectations are going up since the lesser guys have now been filtered out & they have some story stuff to play off like the Devlin thing and Dunne losing his mind which was a nice touch.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:11 pm

I thought it was decent enough for the talent involved. Glad to see all the guys with reputations delivered, minus Conners. I enjoyed most of the matches.

As Rob mentioned, the added touch of Pete Dunne attacking Gradwell and staring down Regal to close the show and Devlin with the heat over Burch adds alot to Night Two.

Hope some of the guys that lost use the exposure to get more bookings in the UK. Dyer, Moloney, Drake and Tucker came out looking good in defeat and hope they take the route of Fabian Aichner in the CWC and work their arses off for new bookings.

I think Night Two can build up from today in quality but I really hope people don't expect Dunne and Andrews to replicate their BOLA match if they do end up facing each other and shit on it as a result.

Also, why was T-Bone a pikey?

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:28 pm

Marty Scurll would've gotten an all-time great pop in front of that crowd.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:04 am

I think the first round of anything is likely to be a bit underwhelming because most places don't want to book their best matches in the first round, you want things to crescendo nicely. With that said, this was kind of proof why I would really hate WWE to run territories - their way of presenting wrestling can be so bland and uninteresting. The machine runs smoothly but it's so rare that you feel the creative energy behind it (when you do, it's great, like Talking Smack or certain recent Smackdown storylines or 2013 NXT at its finest). When Cole called the UK crowd "difficult" I rolled my eyes.

With that said, really liked Devlin and all the guys I knew coming in (Bate, Dunne, Moloney, Seven, Andrews). T-Bone has the weirdest voice + accent combo ever.

Uhaacrewz

Post by Uhaacrewz » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:01 am

No RevPro reps shown in the crowd.

rocheyuk

Re: RE: Re: The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Post by rocheyuk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:40 am

suplexberry wrote:I think the first round of anything is likely to be a bit underwhelming because most places don't want to book their best matches in the first round, you want things to crescendo nicely. With that said, this was kind of proof why I would really hate WWE to run territories - their way of presenting wrestling can be so bland and uninteresting. The machine runs smoothly but it's so rare that you feel the creative energy behind it (when you do, it's great, like Talking Smack or certain recent Smackdown storylines or 2013 NXT at its finest). When Cole called the UK crowd "difficult" I rolled my eyes.

With that said, really liked Devlin and all the guys I knew coming in (Bate, Dunne, Moloney, Seven, Andrews). T-Bone has the weirdest voice + accent combo ever.
That's not T-Bone's real accent. There's a PROGRESS face to face which has him talking like a normal human being. Not sure if he does have traveller routes but they certainly repackaged him.

Speedy Bellerin

Post by Speedy Bellerin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Enjoyed the show. The matches were a bit average but it was about what I expected with the talent available.

I'd never seen Tucker before and I was really impressed. He looks ready for bigger things.

I think tonights show is set up really nicely and I'm looking forward to it.

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:26 pm

The show was decent enough, but held together by a tremendous crowd and a bunch of great individual performances. Tonight's should be a solid improvement -- looking forward to it.

T-Bone was one "d'ya like dags?" away from turning into Brad Pitt's Snatch character though. Such a weird direction to take.

ch3cooh

Post by ch3cooh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Finn Balor showed up at Progress and played musical chairs in the ring with fans

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:23 pm

► Show Spoiler

mezomi

Post by mezomi » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:48 pm

Tyler Bate is a prodigy. This was a career defining performance from him and Pete Dunne.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Oh my days. I think the stars aligned for Night Two. Phenomenal show with a world class main event.

Pretty much everything delivered or over-delivered. The wrestlers, the booking, the storytelling, the venue, the crowd, the commentary team. Everything.

Bate winning was a surprise but they have huge potential if they go down the road of making this a weekly thing with Dunne as the top heel. Split that MVP trophy and hand it to both of them.

I am very interested to see what PROGRESS do with BSS to see if they follow WWE cannon and keep Bate and Dunne together.

Brit Wres will never be the same.

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:04 am

Tonight's show was pretty much everything I hoped it'd be. No match was anything worse than "good," most were borderline great, and I went ****+ on Dunne vs. Andrews and Dunne vs. Bate. A couple of nice surprises with Wolfgang beating Trent and Bate winning outright too. Just a really enjoyable 2 hours of wrestling that was super easy to watch, and a lot of fun.

Loved the storytelling, too. Not just Dunne attacking Gradwell and Bate/getting into hot water with Regal, but little things like Devlin telling the referee to check the back of Bate's head after busting Burch open the night before. Really smart tough that tied the whole thing together. Is this really the same company that produces Raw?

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:55 am

I liked Night 2 much better, as could be expected. This is what drives me so nuts with WWE; they have these flashes of brilliance where they just allow wrestling define characters, wrestlers themselves play to their strengths and allow logic of those two things reach conclusions that make sense. Even if I have some minor problems, like I hate the WWE commentary trope of calling what heels do 'smart' as opposed to selling it as underhanded/unfair/taking a shortcut because you're not as good as you think you are, or how weird that Neville vs End match was, from set-up to finish.

Loved Devlin continuing to play up his heel mannerisms, made for a good match. Loved Trent's tremendous clothesline. Mandrews vs Dunne and the final were my favorites by far - gripping stuff, Andrews is the best babyface on the scene, and Tyler's not that far behind.

Padje

Post by Padje » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:33 am

Empiresk wrote:
Also, why was T-Bone a pikey?
T-Bone has always been billed as being 'from the trailer park', so he's always thought that he was this character. Just with no effort put in.