Homicide

Nominations for The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever project
JML

Homicide

Post by JML » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:51 pm

Discuss here about the Notorious 187.

Whenever I saw him on a ROH show, he added that unpredictable element to it from his persona and presence. Just an aura about him when he came through the curtain.

He could be the biggest heel in the company or biggest babyface. He could do it all. Will rank very high on my list.
Last edited by JML on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dancecab

Re: Homicide

Post by dancecab » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:34 pm

I think he needs to atleast be within the question. Is he the greatest worker in ROH history? No. But he's def one of the star characters in the early years and had some memoriable feuds with Colt Cabana, Samoa Joe and Bryan Danielson. Plus his whole story arc with Jim Cornett and then finally winning the title was pretty awesome. I personally love him as a brawler and feel he's a bit underrated.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:37 pm

The Homicide run to the Championship is classic. It was just insane to me when he came back in Outlaw Inc and got no reaction, where he was once THE. MAN. in the company.

Interesting to see where he lands on my list, but he'll be on it.

luchaundead

Post by luchaundead » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:31 am

Hard to find a wrestler that was as versitle as Homicide while also being completely authentic to his Character. Homicide could brawl, fly, and work mat both lucha style and japanese style meanwhile, always cane across as a dangerous thug that could turn to dirty tactics or radical aggression at a moments notice.

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:11 am

People talk about Joe, but Homicide is really the guy who TNA killed. I think a lot of people have completely forgotten the mystique he had as a brutal, lunatic, asskicking, sociopath at his ROH peak. The moment when he comes to save the day at COD is probably a top five moment in the history of the company, and he has to be the best brawler ROH ever produced. Aside from Jimmy Rave I don't think anyone else in the promotion was ever as good as a pure heel either. Super fun in that he had the coolest dive in the company, the craziest finish, and was the one most likely to stab you to death. There is an alternate universe where he retains all this presence and is an easily number one pick for this, but we don't live in that universe unfortunately. Still I struggle with the idea of leaving him out of a top ten, and I don't see anyway I could have him lower than fifteen. I actually bought the best of Homicide in ROH dvd for 5 bucks at Mania weekend and I'll probably give it a good watch before the vote.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:51 am

Really enjoyed Homicide. I remember being up at the RexPlex in North Jersey during a match he had with John Walters. Walters screwed up and ended up dropping Homicide on his head from the top rope to the floor. Think they stopped the match and Walters looked scared because he thought Homicide would kill him in the back.
Who's Rob Viper ?

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:18 am

Could be incredibly easy to hate, could also be the most likable guy on the roster. Brought a rough and unpredictable edge to the company. He could fit whatever role you needed him to in any match. His rise from heel in the Cabana feud to babyface underdog hero champion less than a year later is one of the companies high points. It's disappointing that his returns to the company weren't very notable, he was never portrayed as the company legend like he should have been. Still, he's a borderline top 10 candidate.

DoubleCrossKing

Post by DoubleCrossKing » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:11 pm

Everyone should heed what Dylan did and get that Homicide comp that ROH put out in 2011/2012. It is a great resume of top-tier matches to bolster his claim to a Top 5/10 spot. Maybe the best ROH Best Of comp they put out in the last 5 years.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:02 pm

Agree about the comp. It's only 7 bucks on ROH's site and I enjoy it.

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:13 am

I stumbled across ROH ten years ago(when I was 11 years old!!) and Homicide was the guy that stood out to me. It also helped that at the time, LAX in TNA was a hot group. But his feud against Cornette was incredible and Dylan's not kidding, when I saw him drive that fork in Cornio's head, it really felt like he was trying to kill the man.

Homicide might be one of the most underrated guys in the last decade because he was so good at so many times. Great brawler and made everything look authentic, but he could do lucha, he could do mat wrestling, his character work was amazing and the Rottweilers in general was a fantastic unit. A guy that could combine all these different styles and blend them into a beautiful, chaotic, force of nature just sounds how great his psychology was. I remember one match, I believe late 03 against Punk where during the match, he legitimately tweaks his ankle and wrestles with a limp throughout the entire match. Once that happened, he completely changed his style and ended up enhancing that match. It's not an all time great match or anything but it's a great example of how smart he was.

He's definitely a second tier star, probably with Nigel and maybe Aries(depends on how you view his entire ROH run) and I wish he was about to continue wrestling in ROH when TNA stop letting ROh talent wrestle on their shows because I felt his ROH title reign could have been longer and it felt like it needed to be after his year long chase for the title. I truly wonder how he would have turned out if he stayed past 2006 but regardless, I feel he's in the top 10.

Also, one of the most underrated entrances in ROH history. Kill Bill's Ironside into The Truth by Beanie. When you heard that combo, you knew shit was going down and the crowd always popped for it.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:29 pm

The title change vs. Danielson doesn't hold up well at all. Makes me nervous to go back and watch other Homicide work. Hadn't seen that match in probably two years, went back to it for my MOTY project (which is doubling as Honor Roll viewing), and was massively disappointing. Homicide spends a large portion of the match working a reverse Fujiwara armbar. It's the least effective submission hold I've ever seen.

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:49 pm

I have never seen the title switch vs Danielson. Ever. It's one of the matches I try to find yearly.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:09 am

InYourCase wrote:The title change vs. Danielson doesn't hold up well at all. Makes me nervous to go back and watch other Homicide work. Hadn't seen that match in probably two years, went back to it for my MOTY project (which is doubling as Honor Roll viewing), and was massively disappointing. Homicide spends a large portion of the match working a reverse Fujiwara armbar. It's the least effective submission hold I've ever seen.
Most of the acclaimed work holds up significantly well. The big ones that don't are the Whitmer match and Punk rematch of their ROH trilogy. Fucking awful in their own unique ways.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:00 pm

InYourCase wrote:The title change vs. Danielson doesn't hold up well at all. Makes me nervous to go back and watch other Homicide work. Hadn't seen that match in probably two years, went back to it for my MOTY project (which is doubling as Honor Roll viewing), and was massively disappointing. Homicide spends a large portion of the match working a reverse Fujiwara armbar. It's the least effective submission hold I've ever seen.
Nice post. I want to check this one out but want to kind of build to it and see more from his chase first.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:25 pm

BradPTBN wrote:
Nice post. I want to check this one out but want to kind of build to it and see more from his chase first.
The chase is awesome, at least from what I recall. I remember really liking the Destiny match between Danielson and Homicide (6/13/06?) and the finish is great with context.

2003 Homicide is what I'm intrigued to hit again. The two Corino matches, the crazy Do or Die Joe match, and the Kojima match. Will post back in this thread when I rewatch all of that stuff.