Jack Evans

Nominations for The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever project
dylanjstx

Jack Evans

Post by dylanjstx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:59 pm

One of my favorites. I've never seen a Jack Evans match I didn't think was at least good.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Jack Evans

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:03 pm

Ghetto Will Ospreay, bumming cigs off fans outside the building, then nearly committing suicide inside.

Off the charts, ahead of his time flyer. How far can that get you when you only have 50 slots to work with, and so many workrate gods to contend with?

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:38 pm

Oh I'm all in on Jack Evans for a top 50 spot. TBH he was one of the first guys to get me hooked into ROH since the first show I watched was Trios 2005. I was blown away by his style and acrobatics and fell in love with Generation Next (and ROH) because of it.

avengers23

Post by avengers23 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:28 am

Others may be work rate gods, but I don't think I enjoyed any of their characters the way I enjoyed Jack Evans the character.

And there's an opening match with Davey Richards that was one of my favorite opening matches ever.

JML

Jack Evans

Post by JML » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:57 am

He was the star of the Embassy vs Generation Next feud and is the god father of the flippy guy movement that Gabe took with him to DGUSA and Evolve.

He also could stretched and just beaten up so well as a babyface. Top 50 for me.
Last edited by JML on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:02 pm

Jack is not as well rounded or mechanically polished as other ROH "it" high flyers of their times, but none of those guys had the charisma Jack had. None of them took a beating the way Jack did. I am just as likely to remember Danielson twisting Evans in knots as I am to remember a 630. The Strong/Evans team was great and deserved a longer run than they got. Jack also brought something completely different to Generation Next in terms of temperament and style, and in doing so really rounded out the stable.

Not the best wrestler in ROH history, but maybe the most fun wrestler in ROH history. The guy you can't take your eyes off of from the moment he walks through the curtain til the moment he goes back through it.

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:55 am

I honestly can't imagine not including him. Joe called him a ghetto Ospreay, but if Ospreay was even half as self aware as Evans is and was he'd be fifty times better. Just a completely psychotic spot and bump machine who was always good to kill himself for the amusement of the fans. I agree with pretty much everything Hobbes said, but would add that Evans was probably the last truly explosive pure flyer who I remember unapologetically marking out for. Everything after seemed fake/lame because how could you top a breaking dancer with a death wish?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:31 am

DylanWaco wrote:I honestly can't imagine not including him. Joe called him a ghetto Ospreay, but if Ospreay was even half as self aware as Evans is and was he'd be fifty times better. Just a completely psychotic spot and bump machine who was always good to kill himself for the amusement of the fans. I agree with pretty much everything Hobbes said, but would add that Evans was probably the last truly explosive pure flyer who I remember unapologetically marking out for. Everything after seemed fake/lame because how could you top a breaking dancer with a death wish?
To be clear, I meant "ghetto" as in his white trash persona, not ghetto as in second rate version. I love Evans.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Evans is easily in my top 40 right now, and in reading above, gets a bump due to influence. A solid 4.5 years of ROH, including right in their golden era, gives me a boost as well.

avengers23

Post by avengers23 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:54 pm

I can close my eyes and still see him getting clotheslined out of his shoes bubble Samoa Joe in that 4-way with Kikutaro and Delirious. I can't say that I can visualize something as small as that's about many other wrestlers.