Jimmy Jacobs

Nominations for The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever project
dylanjstx

Jimmy Jacobs

Post by dylanjstx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Took me a while to "get" Jimmy Jacobs, but when I got him, I enjoyed him. Feel he should at least be nominated, he'll be relatively low on my list.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Jimmy Jacobs

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:05 pm

It's no secret that I have no use for Jimmy Jacobs. Unlike Dylan, I never came around on him. Obviously he never worked a style that connected with me as I'm not a bloodbath/brawl guy. I will say this, his matches always felt different, even if I wasn't interested and his entrance equaled ROH pizza time for me personally.

ErinQuinn

Post by ErinQuinn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:06 pm

Jimmy went through one of my favorite character arcs in wrestling, period. I enjoyed the effort that went into the Jimmy/Lacey videos and music videos, and his work felt as on the nose with pop culture in a way Raven and ECW were in the 90's. You could picture one hundred guys like Jimmy hanging outside Hot Topic at the mall. He kept changing his character slightly and evolved into a threat in a way similar to how Stevie Richards got serious before his ECW run was cut short. He easily makes my top 50 for that alone.

His matches were not always my thing, but he was unique. I'd really have to devote some time to rematch his bigger contests, but I don't think anyone goes to the matches first when Jimmy in ROH comes up

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:51 pm

I think the best part of Jacobs was his out of the ring work. Ballad of Lacey, AOTF, even his later stuff with Steen and Corino was highly entertaining.

Can't really say I have a match of his that's in my pantheon of great matches, but it's hard to imagine a top 50 without him.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:50 am

Whether you love or hate Jimmy Jacobs, it can't be denied that he was an important figure in ROH history. The stuff with Lacey, the feud with BJ Whiter (which included several insane and memorable bumps), The Age Of The Fall (specifically the ending of Man Up!), and his later involvement with Kevin Steen & Steve Corino, as previously mentioned.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:56 pm

As was already mentioned in this thread. He had arguably the best character arch put on in ROH, and possibly independent wrestling overall.

And ring wise: that one bump in that one match with Whitmer should give him an honorable mention at the least

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:52 pm

I think if you factor character work in with ring work, Jacobs deserves a spot, maybe even a fairly good spot. He was able to go from being a random undercard guy who never really clicked in the promotion and was on his way out, to being one of the most over acts in the company, all due to a series of online promos and music videos. In a company like ROH where almost everything at the time was built around in ring, that was incredibly impressive and rare.

The AotF stuff never completely lived up to it's potential, and even some of it's build up was corny, but it was another story people were super excited for at first, and the visual of that first promo with Jacobs in his all white gear getting covered in a hanging Jay Briscoe's blood was incredible. He was able to not just go from this lovable loser in love to a nihilistic cult leader, but to use one to springboard to the other. Once he finally got the girl he had been chasing, he found it didn't make him complete, so he turned emo.

As for his in ring stuff, I don't know if I think he's the second coming of Eddie Gilbert like some do, but he could be very good, and I did enjoy the BJ brawls and the tag work with Tyler Black.

JML

Post by JML » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:04 pm

I'm like Lanza here, never got the love with Jimmy Jacobs.

He's important but I can't think of a great match of his or a run of consistency where he was one of the better workers on ROH Weekends.

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:20 am

As a worker I liked him more outside of ROH than inside (I think), but I was always a fan, and thought he actually understood the art of the angle/storytelling better than most anyone in the history of ROH. Not sure how to factor that into the calculus here, because I haven't decided if I'm going to vote solely based on work, or if I'm going to include promos/character/et.

For guys with dumb hair named Jimmy who worked gimmicks based around whining in hipster wrestling promotions I prefer him to Jimmy Havoc for whatever that is worth.

avengers23

Post by avengers23 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:54 pm

I mentioned in the Lacey thread that what Jacobs was doing with Jimmy Loves Lacey and even Project 161/Age of the Fall seemed innovative at the time. And that gets a lot of credit for a guy who used to skip around the ring holding his own hand and yelling "Huss."

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:37 am

Jimmy's one of those guys where you're REALLY going to have to decide does his out of the ring weigh his in ring stuff. In the ring, he isn't bad but he was nothing stand out; minus that insane bump in that Whitmer match. But you talk about someone who was cunning in how to evolve his character over time, he's one of the best the company has ever seen. When I got into ROH, it was during the I love Lacey stuff and looking at that stuff now, it's particularly ingenious when you consider that entire arc. Him and Whitmer break up as a tag team, they feud, Jimmy goes after Lacey, Lacey has that fling with Cabana, Jimmy still chases her and eventually gets her. But then afterwards, like someone mentioned, realizing that winning her didn't make him complete and then to become this cult leader in AOTF. So much character development in a span of almost two years and every step of the way felt gradual.

That moment of him cutting that promo with Briscoe hanging underneath him and his blood coming down is arguably a top 5 ROH moment because of what it represented. For one, the shock factor obviously but in that moment, realizing this was the same dude writing love songs about Lacey a year, it just hits you an that's what made Age of the Fall work for like the first few months.

And even the SCUM stuff, which was hit or miss, I thought he played his role well. Even before that, when he was trying to redeem himself, I thought that stuff was good from a character standpoint.

So yeah I think he'll be on my list. Probably low end but he's a great case study of what great, long term character development looks like.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:10 am

A lock to get in. Incredible body of work from 2004 to 2008, along with important storyline moments.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:44 pm

He did have a great I quit match against Austin Aries.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:11 pm

One regret in the project - I never found the time to watch the Jacobs/Whitmer stuff. He still rated very well for me, but remains a blindspot post project.

jrgoldman

Post by jrgoldman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:51 pm

I wish I had seen this sooner, because I think people focusing on his out of ring contributions are selling him short in terms of match quality. Is he as consistent as the top tier guys? No, of course not, but to say he doesn't have high end matches is ludicrous. The Whitmer matches were great. The Cage match is in the conversation as a top5 ROH match ever and Jacobs is unreal in it. A couple of the Aries brawls were good, there are multiple great tags against the Briscoes.

In addition to this, his run as tag champ with Whitmer is helpful to his case as well. ROH thrived during that time period by having cards that felt varied throughout, and babyface Jacobs was a large part of some very strong 05 cards. I think there are going to be candidates like Cabana who will inevitably be rewarded for "being a good ROH midcard hand" or whatever, but actively have a worse resume than Jacobs.