BJ Whitmer

Nominations for The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever project
mlev76

BJ Whitmer

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Ok, don't laugh or throw things.

But, he was a part of two amazing feuds in the mid-2000s-the ROH/CZW feud and the Jacobs feud. Both incredibly memorable and very much a huge part of the period when it took place.

Yeah, the Decade fucking sucks, but BJ is top 50.

(ducking and running away)

dylanjstx

Re: BJ Whitmer

Post by dylanjstx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:55 pm

Never liked BJ, never will, but he has had a handful of matches I enjoyed.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:42 pm

The multiple tag runs, his involvement with the ROH/CZW feud, and his overall quality of work definitely merit a mention. He'd be in the 40s for me.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

BITW3589

Post by BITW3589 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:03 pm

He is apart of one of my favorite cage matches ever against Jimmy Jacobs.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:15 pm

mlev76 wrote:Ok, don't laugh or throw things.

But, he was a part of two amazing feuds in the mid-2000s-the ROH/CZW feud and the Jacobs feud. Both incredibly memorable and very much a huge part of the period when it took place.

Easy nom. I wouldn't say he's someone I'm looking forward to revisiting per se, but he's got 10+ years in the company, and I definitely want to re-watch the stuff you highlighted.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:22 pm

BradPTBN wrote:
mlev76 wrote:Ok, don't laugh or throw things.

Easy nom. I wouldn't say he's someone I'm looking forward to revisiting per se, but he's got 10+ years in the company, and I definitely want to re-watch the stuff you highlighted.
Fair to say he'd be higher without this last run?

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:26 pm

^ That's a fair question. Interested in what others say.

I personally don't hold that against guys when ranking (for instance - Flair going to TNA). It may not boost his ranking, but I don't weigh it against because the guy wants to still wrestle and be in the business.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:38 pm

Between the Jimmy Jacobs stuff and his role in the CZW angle, BJ has a shot. He may get a bad rap for his last few years, but he was a key guy in that hot CZW angle.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:39 am

I only say this for the Cornette era to the present...Meh.

tjhawke411

Post by tjhawke411 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:07 pm

I feel bad for BJ. He was doing what was wanted from him in a lot of ways, but he's consistently one of the guys I'm most underwhelmed by when I go back and watch Gabe-era ROH. My favorite BJ run was probably his time on the indies in 2011 when he toned his style down and worked a much more "moderate" style. His second ROH run will probably push away a lot of potential voters.

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:55 am

I'll vote for him.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not sure he was ever the better guy in any great match he was in, and he really feels like a guy that should have been a lot better than he was. But I think he's been involved in three legit great feuds in a company that frankly has not had many. Yes I'm counting the Corino feud, which I enjoyed both because it was something that could actually be followed and was built to, and because it led to a match that was completely unique for this era and I loved. I also enjoy the fact that he's one of the only heels working for a major company in 2016 that doesn't run from heat.

He'll probably be the worst worker to make my ballot, but I can't leave him off.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:59 am

The best BJ Whitmer match I ever saw was a dark match in Edison where he completely destroyed a jobber. I don't even remember who it was, it could have been Mitch Franklin or Alex Payne or Rhett Titus or Shane Hagadorn or Bobby Dempsey or the other Dempsey, it doesn't matter, because all I remember about it was how stiff and angry it was. It felt like a receipt. It was absolutely brutal and it will always be burned into my brain.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:30 am

A lock based on the CZW and Jacobs feuds, one which also did tremendous business.

DoubleCrossKing

Post by DoubleCrossKing » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:39 pm

I don't know whose call it was to put Whitmer in the positions he has been since his 2012 return to ROH (Delirious booking or Whitmer's suggestions), but it's been a huge waste of a guy who effectively filled an important spot in the most important years of ROH history. I have a soft spot for "neo-territory blood-feud" BJ Whitmer and how it complimented the 2006-2007 ROH product (when I got really hot on them). That period alone might get him in the bottom 20 for me, but I can't just ignore The Prophecy not really impressing me a ton and The Decade just being....ugh. That could cost him ten or so spots, and maybe knock him off my ballot entirely if others impress me in my research.

Zubazkid

Post by Zubazkid » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:48 am

My first thought when I heard about this poll was "no way in hell does BJ make my list." But rewatching, most of his stuff I originally disliked is more blah than bad and he had a few decent brawls here and there. And as others have said he's a crucial part of the CZW angle. That and his longevity might put him on the bottom of my list, which would have shocked me a few months ago.