Spanky/Brian Kendrick

Nominations for The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever project
BITW3589

Spanky/Brian Kendrick

Post by BITW3589 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:20 pm

A pivotal part of ROH's early years, much like Colt Cabana was great at mixing work rate with comedy.

Buzz Sawyer

Brian Kendrick

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:58 pm

Someone who might get overlooked in voting. He's had several stints in ROH and always puts on a good match
Who's Rob Viper ?

DylanWaco

Re: Spanky/Brian Kendrick

Post by DylanWaco » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:19 am

Love him. Very consistent worker. It's funny to think that there was a period when someone people thought he had more of a future than Danielson for charisma reasons, but the guy really did show it in those early days. Plenty of good matches. Wish he had more of a run, but he will probably make my list because on recent watch the fond memories hold up

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:24 am

A good candidate here to keep discussing and topical now that he's back in the mainstream with WWE - and he technically worked in ROH this year!

Quantity-wise, a small stint compared to most - 2002 and 2005 (8 months of it at least) is when he was a ROH regular.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:02 am

Would be very bottom if he gets voted on. A significant chunk of his career is nothing special. I can't think of one truly good 1-on-1 match he had on his first stint, and that's stuff against London and Danielson. At no point was he involved in an arc of any slight interest.

His good shit would include listed just by show:

Crowning a Champion
Round Robin Challenge III
It All Begins
Third Anniversary Celebration Pt. 2 and 3
Back to Basics
Best of American Super Juniors Tournament (peak career match)
Stalemate
New Frontiers
Punk: The Final Chapter
8th Anniversary Show

That's 11 matches, with 1 of the 2 ****+ being a multi-man gimmick. The body of work just doesn't come close to being that impressive. If he gets on, then John Walters should as well and easily at that actually. At least Walters got GeNext over and showed more promise as an Embassy cunt in 2005 too.

In an ideal world, his ability to get along with the right people and get a 3rd chance in WWE would be channeled to Low Ki or Paul London.

Zubazkid

Post by Zubazkid » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:11 pm

When I started thinking about my list I thought he'd be a lock. But the more I dig in, I can't really make a strong case for him. Small number of matches overall and nothing really stands out as great. He was well behind London, Low-Ki, Daniels, Danielson and Doug Williams on those early shows, and didn't stick around long. He was involved in the 4-way to crown the first champion, but mostly because they wanted 4 people and needed someone to job to Low-Ki so Daniels didn't have to.