John Walters

Nominations for The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever project
BITW3589

John Walters

Post by BITW3589 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:31 am

From the early days of ROH he was a big part in making the ROH Pure Championship important.

supersonic

Re: John Walters

Post by supersonic » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:04 am

Also a critical foe in establishing Generation Next on the right foot. A damn good hand that was undervalued due to being on the indies at a time when WWE had very little interest in stacking its roster with underground stars, leading to too many others that outshined him. He's the perfect first name to kick off the top 50.

JT PTBN

Post by JT PTBN » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:23 pm

I third this nomination. He came around at the wrong time for sure. I few years later and he likely gets picked up by WWE but as is he was a nice foundation mid card piece for ROH in those years and a nice fit as pure champion. If only the mic work he exhibited as RJ Brewer had showed up sooner, he could had a deeper run there or elsewhere.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:23 am

Watched his Fight Without Honor against Xavier yesterday - wanted to get to that and some other matches before the Pure run - and I thought it was an almost perfect "anything goes", weapons match between two guys that regularly wrestled the completely opposite style. It wasn't as crisp (or contrived) as you see most of the time, but that made sense to me given the combatants and the feud.

Xavier, of course, takes some nutty bumps and the finish is nearly death-inducing but I was around ***1/4-***1/2. Really good match - couldn't take my eyes off it.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:00 pm

His Pure run gets him enough points in the ROH significance category for me to probably be a bottom 5 guy. He could be #50 for me. I want to get him on this list for sure even if he scores fairly low.

Zubazkid

Post by Zubazkid » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 am

His feud with Xavier, the run with the pure title and especially his battles with Generation Next are enough to make my list.

El Dragon

Post by El Dragon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:54 am

Walter s is kinda a favorite of mine, and I went into this project with ideas of "no matter what, Walters is fitting in my bottom 5." Then, the weird thing was, as I was actually making my list, I realized that a lot of the guys I was slotting into the 40-45 range simply were not as good as Walters was in Walters best year. His 2004 might be the most underrated single year of a wrestler in RoH history, because all of the credit for the GN matches tends to to GN themselves, but they needed someone else to tangle with, and Walters was more or less there main rival in the multi-man tags. So, yeah, Walters ended up breaking my top 40. I was surprised, but happy with that development.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:57 pm

John Walters was borderline on my list. I watched the Xavier FWH match and it's such a fun match. He may be in my 40s.