Gabe Sapolsky

Nominations for The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever project
BITW3589

Gabe Sapolsky

Post by BITW3589 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:46 pm

I don't know if this will count or not, but I'm going to post it anyway and the admins can take it down if they wish.

You can't talk about ROH from a booking perspective unless you mention Gabe Sapolsky, he was the sole person booking ROH in what I would call it's prime years of 2004-2008. He was able to successfully deviate away from the WWE style booking at the time which was heavily storyline driven with 20+ minute promos, instead he let what happened in the ring as well as wins/losses tell the story. While a lot of other promotions at that time were trying to copy WWE in how they did business Gabe went old school and booked simple and logical. In the few times when Gabe would go more into a storyline heavy feud he did it so well as the story was drawn out over a lengthy period of time and you would never find holes in the logic of the story. My favorite example of this was the entire Jimmy Jacobs/Lacey/BJ Whitmer story.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Gabe Sapolsky

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:04 pm

JIMMY BOWERS

Yes, the Jimmy Bowers commentary was cringe at times (and he knew it, which is why he fired himself), but one thing I really liked is that he would always go over the storyline coming into the match and provide the context.

There was a short period at the beginning of AOTF where he almost made himself part of the storyline, but wisely they changed course.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:08 pm

I don't see why Gabe couldn't be a part of the Non-Wrestler list. There's no hard and fast rules to qualify for that offshoot. Good nom.

Evan H.

Post by Evan H. » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:21 pm

I think if Gabe isn't number one on the "non-wrestlers" list, it'd be a real crime. After Feinstein... well, you know... ROH could have dried up and blown away, easily. Hundreds of indies as or more well regarded than ROH have done so in the past. Paul E's padawan stepped up and took the creative reins of Ring of Honor and kicked off built to what a lot of people consider ROH's "golden age"... I know most wrestling fans could pass the guy on the street and not know who he is, but without Gabe's run with the book there is no ROH in my honest opinion. He's the ultimate "non-wrestler MVP" based simply on sheer volume of creative contribution he's made to the product for as long as he did.

avengers23

Post by avengers23 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:18 pm

His obsession with Dragon Gate style factions (the Hangman's Three, the Vulture Squad, the No Remorse Corps, the Resilience, Sweet and Sour Inc.) really bloated the show's of the time, but you could see that he was trying to change ROH a little because the old structure was getting stale.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:JIMMY BOWERS

Yes, the Jimmy Bowers commentary was cringe at times (and he knew it, which is why he fired himself), but one thing I really liked is that he would always go over the storyline coming into the match and provide the context.
I can appreciate that kind of self awareness. Not a Jimmy Bowers guy either, but when I'd put myself in his shoes, your damn right I'd put myself in that position to try to get over the stories I was trying to tell and build the product/audience.

#1 candidate for the non-wrestler list for sure.