Season 2 Primer

A Voices of Wrestling trivia game hosted/ran by Rob Reid.
Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Season 2 Primer

Post by Robareid » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:09 pm

As we approach the end of what I hope has been an enjoyable first season, it’s time for me to start planning for the second season which will be upon me before I know it. I’ve already revealed that the second season will see the implementation of a League system. It will also have a new scoring system too, but I’ll cover that closer to the time. Leagues will each have six participants in them, and the top six in Season 1’s leaderboard will make up Division 1, 7th till 12th will make up Division 2 and the two guys finishing 13th and 14th will be placed into Division 3.

That brings us to what this post is primarily about. Division 3 and below will be filled out with new additions who will be joining us for Season 2. Currently 10 extra players have signed up for the second season, and they’re still trickling in. That means that we’ll have enough people to fill up Division 3 and create a full Division 4.

So how will it be decided which division the new additions be put into? Well I’m going to have the new additions participate in the final round (5) of Season 1, and the top four scorers will be placed into division 3. The other six will make up Division 4.

Ahead of participating in your first round then, please read through The Intro and Season’s 1’s Primer if you haven’t already. You may want to read through some of the previous rounds’ threads to familiarise yourself with the format too.

I’ll be sending Round 5’s question forms on Monday the 1st of June to all twenty of you.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Re: Season 2 Primer

Post by Robareid » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:10 pm

League System

Now as I have previously mentioned, for Season 2 I am going to be implementing a league system, including promotion and relegation. Each league will consist of six players, and with 29 players currently signed up for Season 2 I’ll be running five leagues (assuming I can find one more wrestling nerd to participate).

The idea of the league system is so that you’re competing against others who are comparable to you. Everybody will be doing the same quiz each week, but you will be in a leaderboard with just your league and also the scoring system will link closely with your league competitors (will go into more detail soon).

I was going to run all the leagues in a linear format, but after I realised we were expanding to five leagues instead of four which I had been planning for I changed my mind. If you join in the bottom league of a five league linear system that’s going to take four seasons just to get into the top league before you have a chance of winning. For me that’s too long, as there’s only going to be 8 or 9 seasons a year.

Therefore I have decided to go for a slightly more complicated format. The league will have two branches, each of equal importance, which will have the names “Armbar League” and “Bodyslam Championship”.

Both branches will have two levels. Level one is where you will be competing to become the respective Champions. The top three at Level 1 each season will find themselves in the Hall of Fame, while the bottom two finishers will be relegated into the branches respective Level 2.

In Level 2 the top two finishers will achieve promotion and a chance to compete for the championship. Meanwhile, the bottom two finishers will be relegated into the “Argentine Backbreaker”, the league which will link the two branches.

The AB will link the two branches at the bottom of the league system, taking in the two relegated players from both Level 2 leagues at the end of each season. Therefore, the top four finishers will achieve promotion from AB each season to replace those falling down.

Season 1 that has recently finished will count as the inaugural season of the Armbar Division. The top six scorers have been put into Armbar Division 1, the next six into Armbar Division 2 and the final two have been placed into Argentine Backbreaker.

So that leaves the Bodyslam Championship. Well, thirteen new participants signed up for Season 2 before the last round of Season 1. Thus, I had them participate in Season 1 Round 5 in order to rank them. The top six from that week were placed in Bodyslam Championship 1, the next six in Bodyslam Championship 2 and the person finishing last was placed into Argentine Backbreaker. Then the three people (two so far) who signed up after Round 5 fill in the final spots in Argentine Backbreaker.

To make that all a lot easier to visualise, here’s a diagram:

And here’s where everybody is falling for Season 2:

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Re: Season 2 Primer

Post by Robareid » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Point System

As I’d previously announced, I’m going to be implementing a new scoring system for the second season. While the quiz system will remain the same, with Twenty Questions followed by a List Them, changes are going to be made to the way it affects the leaderboard. The aim of this is to make each week weighted the same despite the natural variation of difficulty that occurs across the rounds.

The point system will have everybody competing directly with those in their respective league. There will be three methods of scoring league points:

1 – The six participants in each league will be ordered by their total scores, and allotted the following points:

1st 20
2nd 14
3rd 10
4th 6
5th 4
6th 2

2 – Every week every player will be in a head-to-head against another member of their league. The winner of the H2H will gain an additional four points. A draw will give both 2 points. Over the course of the five round season you will face off against all five of your league opposition.

3 – Finally, the top scorer in each league for each of the two parts of the quiz (Twenty Questions & List Them) will receive an additional 2 points.

Yes I realise that all of these points scores can be halved, that’s done on purpose. That’s because it allows for draws to occur and points to be averaged while still being integer values.